Sign in to follow this  
yellow blood

Danny Baker on radio 5...please help

I need your help. Years ago when radio 5 started there used to be a show I listened to driving to Carrow Road on a Saturday morning. Danny Baker used to present it and I am trying to remember the story that forced me to stop my car because I was laughing so much. He used to get listeners to call in with tales such as strange things they took to the game. There was one, I think in Scotland that took someting attached to a large broom handle but I can''t recall exactly what it was. Can anyone help?

Any other funnies from that show also, please post.

Thanks in advance[:D]

i used to love it when danny baker did the first 606  he`s the original and  best footy phone in host, he could make any subject funny, and was knowledgable about most levels of football, not like that basin headed idiot  alan" i only see premiership games so i haven`t a clue what your talking about "  green

Call ins need a decent witty host... because 9/10 callers are dumb... that''s a scientific fact, they''ve done government funded research on this stuff... maybe.

[quote user="still holding out for new heroes"]use to love driving home from away games listening to Danny Baker and Danny Kelly on 606 was genuinely funny, now we get either the abysmal Alan Green, Lovejoy or even worse Spoony fielding calls from whining Liverpool or Newcastle fans week in week out.[/quote]

Baker was different class,not least because he was such a genuine fan.The lowest point was when Mellor hosted it.What a total dick that man is!

Agree that Danny Baker (and Danny Kelly) are/were great for 606-style phone-ins.

My only issue with Baker is that he always has too many ideas/threads going at any one time and as a result the show can get very confusing as it goes on.

Spoony on the other hand....simply terrible at it.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

it was a Dundee utd Fans tie or scarf i think... they had this in 4-4-2 magazine about 3 months ago.

jas :)

[/quote]

Thanks Jas..,.doesn''t ring any bells though as to why so funny. Will have to try to find out more somehow

[quote user="Herman ze German"]You may know this already, but Danny Baker will be doing 606 again,on radio 5, soon.[/quote]

happy days are here again

he`s off already babbling on for 10 minutes about sunday league football without a hint of a caller, i bet theres chelsea fans and scousers  switching off in there droves,  excellent stuff [:D]

Think this might be the aforementioned clip. (can''t listen yet; tuned in to his live show [:D]) Was a Dundee United plywood bow-tie if I recall correctly.

Pretty much the first thing he does is praise the goal from the Bristol match and calls Liverpool a ''Lumpy boring team''.   Marvelous!!  [:)]

[quote user="Simon"]Think this might be the aforementioned clip. (can''t listen yet; tuned in to his live show [:D]) Was a Dundee United plywood bow-tie if I recall correctly.
[/quote]

Simon, you are a star! I will happily buy you a pint on Saturday if you are anywhere near the Ketts Tavern or Rosary?

This was superb last night. It made such a difference to listen to a football phone in show which was actually interesting, didn''t include the constantly repeat of "Hi Alan, how are you" - "I''M BL**DY FINE GET ON WITH IT, and was genuinely funny.

The callers are forced to ring in with proper stories and have to think about what they are going to say whilst the topics were excellent. Some of the stories about Dennis Wise treating people well were quite touching.

Normal service will be resumed i''m sure - Tim Lovejoy with his blind Ingerland prejudice, Spooney - Which bit of Liverpool are you from mate? and Colin Murray (who is great on fighting talk) - You don''t even come from the same Country as the team you reckomn you support.... grr.

Quite correct it was a large wooden bow tie which was so heavy it had to be held on with a leather belt thus choking the wearer so in the end they carried it on a wooden broom handle like a Roman centurion....classic stuff.

Also there was the "football played in unusual places" phone - in which included an oil rig and a large steel nut, needless to say steel toe caps were obligatory, and the funniest things thrown at matches including a dummy hand grenade at Milwall, apparantly the keepers face was a picture!

Great show, Baker is a class act

that story about the player stepping off the coach at oldham to be handed a baby he`d fathered on a one night stand was priceless,, apparantly he got some oldham fans to look after it during the match and took it home on the coach

long live danny baker