Sign in to follow this  
bigbear

should we have standing areas again?

I for 1 would love to see them again, at least I wouldn''t be restricted to sitting 4 rows from the front of the Barclay lower as there was no one moving further back in the movers and shakers so I had to settle with what I had, where we have some fat steward who keeps telling us sit down every 5 seconds while leaving the rest of blocks D and E to stand as they like (rant over).

Anyways, the 1st match I remember when I was standing in the Barclay, I can''t remember how old I was but I was with my brother and mum (must have been quite young to be seen with her at footy!).  It was Nottingham Forest in a midweek game.  We stood about half way back in front of one of those metal barriers (bad idea).  Norwich scored with a Sherwood freekick quite early, and there was a surge and we all got crushed against the barrier.  A steward spotted us and moved us to the front.  Norwich then went on to played off the park and let in 6 goals before we got a late consolation.  Roy Keane scored twice if anyone is interested.  It was quite a scary moment when the crush happened, especially as my brother and I were young.  My mum didn''t know what it would be like and gave in to us asking to go in there, she obviously never expected it to happen like that, and we never went away from the front ever again.  Then it became all seating.

What I''m saying is, if it''s regulated properly, like young kids, etc, not being allowed into the main area, then I''m all for it.  One of my friends went to a game in Italy, and they had thick perspex partitions between each row, there was a seat, which could be folded back to allow people to stand or sit as they please.  Something like that could be done to allow for good atmosphere, but without the crush.  Just an idea.

In our country, I can''t see it coming back in high level games, such as Premier League or the Championship, purely because of how hot our government is on health and safety, in comparison to other countries.  Knowing our government, to go into a standing area, we would end up having to have a hi-viz jacket and a hard hat!! 

That''s a ron of writing for sommit you don''t expect so see. 

There is no good reason to go back to stands in which people actually stand when you consider how much more games are these days. 

Sure, it would be cool, but those running things are more concerned about safety (as I am).

Houston, there is every good reason to allow supporters the choice of whether they want to sit or stand at a match.

Over the past few years at CR I have sat in the old South Stand (and as it was rebuilt I moved to the Barclay, where for two seasons I sat somewhere towards the middle of the stand). I now stand on the back row, it''s only taken me 6, yes 6 seasons to get a ticket up there. Why is that do you suppose? As I go every game and talk to supporters, the general feeling is those in the L Barclay will stand if they are allowed. Last season this was achieved by those who wished to do so. Stewards now and again make the effort to get us to sit down, but it''s short lived. I know there is legislation and there are announcements before the game, but during exciting periods of play the natural instinct is to stand up to see better/be part of the action.

Last season I sat at one match, and that was due to moving seats for one game. I would welcome the chance to stand (officially) and also this would enable others the choice as well.

As for safety. Over the years I believe some of us have developed this myth that sitting at games is safer. Why? I have never been in any danger or discomfort standing, and that is going back to years ago when most of the ground was standing. Even the older generation stood on the terraces.

Of course, there are those who choose to sit and watch, and good for them, they can do that. But for those of us who want to stand it seems we have to migrate to a small area of the ground to do so. Why can those on the continent stand and watch football (in safety, as you seem overly concerned about this) and we can''t. One reason, legislation.

As for cost, I am sure the club could charge a premium price for standing areas and they would get more than enough willing punters.

For the record, NCFC would support a standing area if the powers that be ever allowed it.

Yes we should!

16 and a half years since standing areas were made all seater at Carrow Road and fans in the Barclay would rather stand and that includes fans who were too young to remember terraces at Carrow Road!

The Taylor report was neccessary cause ground safety and quality have improved but this could still been achieved with standing areas. The Hillsborough disaster was caused by a number of factors of which terraces wern''t one of them!

With the huge amounts of money be flung at the game now particularly the top flight, clubs should be looking to give some things back to the fans!

I don''t think that in standard areas noone should be paying more than £20 a game to watch and standing areas should be brought back for home fans only!

Terracing works in the German Bundesliga which is a better supported league than our Premiership!