Sign in to follow this  
Hardhouse44

My thoughts on last night. (for what they are worth!)

I try no to post in anger to often. Reason being when I do I sound like an ar$e. So I resisted the temptation to get on here last night when I returned from the matchI was looking forward to the game all week. Like most I feel the night games bring the best atmosphere and coupled with a few beers can make for a cracking night out. I was also keen to see our new striker and having seen for myself the high level of play we achieved against Birmingham and having read all the reports of how we played at Plymouth I was buzzing when I got to the ground. I was hoping, no expecting more of the same and really confident of seeing a win.The game started slowly for me and from the start we looked lacklustre. QPR''s physical presence and superiority was obvious from the off. We were not going to compete on a physical level. So we had to do it through good passing football. Up to the sending of I thought we were holding our own to some extent. Not really threatening to score but not in to much trouble at the back either. The sending saw a reshuffle from the QPR bench and the introduction of Gorkss and from that moment on Sibierski who was only having minimal success was almost completely negated.From then on QPR were more committed, stronger all over the park and more than good enough to hold on to their lead that they took a few minutes later. Free kick or not, retakes or not the goal was scored and we were one nil down at home to 10 men. I like many expected a reply from our boys. A raising of their game and to get back in to the game. I think it was clear to most after 5 or 10 minutes of the second half that it wasn''t going to happen.Did anyone play well for us. Short answer no. Is it fair to single out players, probably not but I going to. Fotheringham, By far the worst captain I have ever seen at Carrow road in my 25+ years of attending. Has been for me the weakest player this season and last night did nothing to chance my opinion of him. Slow, lightweight and unproductive. I''m all for keeping it simple but this man plays square balls for a living. Never stepping out of his comfort zone and by far the worst of our midfield. Hoolahan has yet to show me anything to suggest he should be on our bench let alone starting and as a replacement for Huckerby! It''s like a restaurant saying the are out of steak and offering to do you a burger. He has to play with discipline and offer an outlet wide or be removed from the team. His constant wandering and over playing on the ball is unacceptable and his passing was appalling last night. I could continue pick players out but will end my personal criticism with Omozusi, not good enough for this league, uncomfortable on the ball, one of the few loan players who for me does seem to lack the commitment that people seem to on the whole over worry about when it comes to loan players and frankly not as good as Semmy. Buy hey when do fan ever rate all of the players in their team or always agree on the managers selection. Now with all the doom and gloom done I like to say this. Get over last night and move on to Saturday. We have played well this season, With a quality and passion that was so lacking from our previous few companies. We have a chance to regroup as a team and as fans on Saturday and put things right. We can play a hell of a lot better than last night. I would also call for all fans to keep it real. We are a group who are constantly dismayed by false dawns. After the Plymouth game we are inundated with callers to canary call saying we are certs for automatic promotion and the same can happen on here at the drop of a hat. As can the doom mongering return with equal speed after what is the first really bad performance of the season. What we crave is consistency from our team. That will come if it is within the group of player that we have. I think from what I have seen (last night excluded) that it quite probable that it will . What we should do for now as fans is try a little consistency ourselves. Let not get carried away to quickly or in the depths of depression after on bad result. Lets go in to Saturday confident we have the resources to get a win and give the player the support they need to play with confidence. OTBC.

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]I try no to post in anger to often. Reason being when I do I sound like an ar$e. So I resisted the temptation to get on here last night when I returned from the match

I was looking forward to the game all week. Like most I feel the night games bring the best atmosphere and coupled with a few beers can make for a cracking night out. I was also keen to see our new striker and having seen for myself the high level of play we achieved against Birmingham and having read all the reports of how we played at Plymouth I was buzzing when I got to the ground. I was hoping, no expecting more of the same and really confident of seeing a win.

The game started slowly for me and from the start we looked lacklustre. QPR''s physical presence and superiority was obvious from the off. We were not going to compete on a physical level. So we had to do it through good passing football. Up to the sending of I thought we were holding our own to some extent. Not really threatening to score but not in to much trouble at the back either. The sending saw a reshuffle from the QPR bench and the introduction of Gorkss and from that moment on Sibierski who was only having minimal success was almost completely negated.

From then on QPR were more committed, stronger all over the park and more than good enough to hold on to their lead that they took a few minutes later. Free kick or not, retakes or not the goal was scored and we were one nil down at home to 10 men. I like many expected a reply from our boys. A raising of their game and to get back in to the game. I think it was clear to most after 5 or 10 minutes of the second half that it wasn''t going to happen.

Did anyone play well for us. Short answer no. Is it fair to single out players, probably not but I going to. Fotheringham, By far the worst captain I have ever seen at Carrow road in my 25+ years of attending. Has been for me the weakest player this season and last night did nothing to chance my opinion of him. Slow, lightweight and unproductive. I''m all for keeping it simple but this man plays square balls for a living. Never stepping out of his comfort zone and by far the worst of our midfield. Hoolahan has yet to show me anything to suggest he should be on our bench let alone starting and as a replacement for Huckerby! It''s like a restaurant saying the are out of steak and offering to do you a burger. He has to play with discipline and offer an outlet wide or be removed from the team. His constant wandering and over playing on the ball is unacceptable and his passing was appalling last night. I could continue pick players out but will end my personal criticism with Omozusi, not good enough for this league, uncomfortable on the ball, one of the few loan players who for me does seem to lack the commitment that people seem to on the whole over worry about when it comes to loan players and frankly not as good as Semmy.

Buy hey when do fan ever rate all of the players in their team or always agree on the managers selection.

Now with all the doom and gloom done I like to say this. Get over last night and move on to Saturday. We have played well this season, With a quality and passion that was so lacking from our previous few companies. We have a chance to regroup as a team and as fans on Saturday and put things right. We can play a hell of a lot better than last night.

I would also call for all fans to keep it real. We are a group who are constantly dismayed by false dawns. After the Plymouth game we are inundated with callers to canary call saying we are certs for automatic promotion and the same can happen on here at the drop of a hat. As can the doom mongering return with equal speed after what is the first really bad performance of the season.

What we crave is consistency from our team. That will come if it is within the group of player that we have. I think from what I have seen (last night excluded) that it quite probable that it will . What we should do for now as fans is try a little consistency ourselves. Let not get carried away to quickly or in the depths of depression after on bad result.

Lets go in to Saturday confident we have the resources to get a win and give the player the support they need to play with confidence.

OTBC.
[/quote]

Absolutely brilliant post.Nothing there that I disagree with.

Excellent post.  I can''t say I disagree with much.  I do totally agree with the 3 players you have chosen as weak links.  Your quote regarding Fozzy''s ability to play the square ball had me chuckling as last night we were practically calling his next pass before he played it, yes, square to Patty or square to Hooly.  As for Hooly, he''s looked more out of his depth as every game is played and as for this fabled left foot of his, well, where is it?  We think perhaps he has new boots and has left his shooting boots in his bedsit in Blackpool. In a word, woefull. Spot on also in your summation of young Omo. Extremely lightweight and an inability to get forward.  If I were Semi I would be gutted if I was not back in the side come Saturday.

As you quite rightly stated, no one covered themselves in glory last night, and many had their worst game in a city shirt. The aliens that kidnapped Bertie had better bring him back before 3.00pm Saturday for that surely was not the man we''re used to seeing. JK and Stef looked solid as usual but seemed to have caught Doc''s disease, i.e. making totally ridiculous mistakes for no apparent reason, which fortunately didn''t cost us any more last night.

To be honest I thought the ref was hopeless. Before anyone accuses me of anything I mean hopeless on both sides but particularly in his inability to protect players.  QPR''s more robust approach went largely unpunished, and I refer specifically to the flying challenge that sent Curo both 5 yards across the turf, Joe Cole style, and then to the medical room.  The Croatian against England was duly dismissed, how on earth was this guy not??? Speaking of Jamie, time for a break I think, and time for OJ to have a go from the bench again.

So, on to Saturday and lets hope we''ve got that bad game out of our system.

We didn''t play like a team who came out with the intention of wanting to put QPR on the back foot from the beginning.  Our build up play was woefully slow, and at times it was one step forward and two steps back;  which was the complete opposite to the B''ham home game.  If we had come out with the same attitude last night I am sure we would have won the game. 

We also desperately need a player with the vision to spot the quick pass.  I gave up counting the amount of times Bertrand was free on the left in acres of space and our back four passed it sideways and backwards.   He always made himself available for a pass, but several other players were fairly static alongside the defender marking them.

Omozusi has pace and gets forward, but seems incapable of having a shot, although it is possible he is told to pass it all the time by the coaching staff. 

We continually played the ball along the ground giving QPR players ample opportunity to either intercept the ball, or close our player down and thereby forcing an error. 

I drove back home disappointed last night because we have played much better football in the previous five games, so it is clear we can play like a side pushing for the top half. 

On a final note we must nominate a better player than Fotheringham to be captain, as he is the worst offender when it comes to slowing the play down.  I still haven''t worked out what Roeder sees in him so I guess it will have to remain one of lives great mysteries.

atlast a constructive post...you''re actually able to state the truth that norwich played poorly but with an honest assestment regarding the longer term view of how the season has gone so far...rather then ''WEVE LOST ONE GAME....WERE GONNA FINISH BOTTOM AND GO INTO ADMIN.'' that some fickle fans on here believe

Great post! Agree entirely.....I thought we signed hoolahan as a left winger....someone should show him where that is on the pitch

A poor performance from a Norwich side who were quite often knocked or pulled off the ball with little protection from an incompetent ref. Why wasnt the QPR player that raised his hand to a City player sent off near the end probably because he sent one player off then tried to appease Dowie by letting them get away with every physical challenge that went on.

One question that baffles me is why is our coaching staff unable to change tactics during a game, we were pumping high balls into the QPR area and with four large defenders they were winning everything why oh why cant we keep the ball on the ground. When will we find one of our own players with our corners. When will Croft learn to cross a ball.

According to Doncaster this squad is on the highest wages any Norwich side has been on in the Championship didnt show last night.