Sign in to follow this  
Paul Spector

Be honest..

Would you rather Norwich played beautiful flowing proper football all season, won some games, lost some games, but ultimately finished mid-table, OR, played like Stoke, boring and unentertaining, but were in the mix come what May.

For me, i''d far rather the former any day of the week, and I think any true football fan would agree. We pay our money to be entertained, and we can''t expect 3 points from every game. I wish some fans would just realise this!

[quote user="WeWantWorthyBack"]Would you rather Norwich played beautiful flowing proper football all season, won some games, lost some games, but ultimately finished mid-table, OR, played like Stoke, boring and unentertaining, but were in the mix come what May. For me, i''d far rather the former any day of the week, and I think any true football fan would agree. We pay our money to be entertained, and we can''t expect 3 points from every game. I wish some fans would just realise this![/quote]

We didn''t play much beautiful proper football tonight and we certainly weren''t entertained, don''t quite now what I got for my money tonight apart from a bit of anger at how bad we were.

[quote user="rocky marshall"]Seemed like we played an awful lot of ''direct'' balls towards The Frenchman tonight. Much different to the passing game to get forward against Brum.[/quote]Thats where my frustration comes from, that fact that they played some superb footie against Brum, then tonight were absolute no shows.

I don''t know how much Q.P.R.''s tactics caused us to play the long ball  tonight. It seemed to played out of frustration rather than intention. Of course Sibierski being in the side may make the team a little more willing to go long, but until Q.P.R. had the 1 goal cushion and were down to ten we''d mixed it up a bit. We weren''t spectacularly successful with it. The tempo of our play just wasn''t up to the standards set so far this season. Hopefully this performance was a one off and we''ll see a much improved display on Saturday.

Earn the right to play our footballI seem to remember that being one of Worthington''s favourite quotes in his early years here and it is probably right in some way. Especially in the season we won the league. Quite often the football wasn''t overly brilliant and it was really only once Svensson, McKenzie and Huckerby were all flying that the slick passing, attacking football was displayed. I suppose flying is probably not the right word with Svensson, not quite quick enough for flying but you know what I mean. Up to Christmas more often than not it was the hard work and fight that got us the results. We earned the right to play the pretty football. We got the blend of nasty bastard and poncey sod just right and haven''t really matched it since.Commitment and Work EthicI reckon that is also quite important. I know they became clichés, but he did get some things right.

[quote user="WeWantWorthyBack"]Would you rather Norwich played beautiful flowing proper football all season, won some games, lost some games, but ultimately finished mid-table, OR, played like Stoke, boring and unentertaining, but were in the mix come what May. For me, i''d far rather the former any day of the week, and I think any true football fan would agree. We pay our money to be entertained, and we can''t expect 3 points from every game. I wish some fans would just realise this![/quote]

I pay my season ticket to watch a team that has the ability to play good football on a consistent basis, that wins more often than it loses and that actually gives a damn. At least Stoke seem to give 100% for the cause, which doesn''t appear to be the case for our mob - only Jamie, Matty P and Rusty seem fit to wear the shirt.

I don''t pay my money just ''to be entertained'' - if I wanted that, I''d go to the cinema every Saturday afternoon. I pay my money to watch a team that makes an effort to earn its wages. Tonight''s performance was as gutless as it was inept. You are clearly a member of the Green and Yellow glasses brigade and I bet you just love St Delia. Well, I am not that myopic - we have a poor team, managed by a manager who has a history of getting teams relegated and a club run by a Board that is seemingly happy to finish in the bottom half of the Championship every season.

Open your eyes!   

[quote user="Rasputin was a C..."]I don''t know how much Q.P.R.''s tactics caused us to play the long ball  tonight. It seemed to played out of frustration rather than intention. Of course Sibierski being in the side may make the team a little more willing to go long, but until Q.P.R. had the 1 goal cushion and were down to ten we''d mixed it up a bit. We weren''t spectacularly successful with it. The tempo of our play just wasn''t up to the standards set so far this season. Hopefully this performance was a one off and we''ll see a much improved display on Saturday.
[/quote]

I was thinking on the same lines Ras. How many pundits state that sometimes it is harder to play against 10 men than 11, as they fight even harder for each other. Neil was saying on the radio that the QPR back line was huge right across the back and very physical, that may have been why GR changed Lupoli with Rusty so that we had a more physical front line. It gets to me when people say how teams played bad, it just maybe that the opposition makes teams look bad by getting stuck in and not letting other teams play the passing game. I do believe that we could have got something tonight if QPR had kept 11 on the pitch, forever the optimist.[;)]

Anyway after God created the Earth he decided that he wanted Paradise, so the he created Norfolk.[:D]

[quote user="LinkNR9"]

I pay my season ticket to watch a team that has the ability to play good football on a consistent basis, that wins more often than it loses and that actually gives a damn. At least Stoke seem to give 100% for the cause, which doesn''t appear to be the case for our mob - only Jamie, Matty P and Rusty seem fit to wear the shirt.

I don''t pay my money just ''to be entertained'' - if I wanted that, I''d go to the cinema every Saturday afternoon. I pay my money to watch a team that makes an effort to earn its wages. Tonight''s performance was as gutless as it was inept. You are clearly a member of the Green and Yellow glasses brigade and I bet you just love St Delia. Well, I am not that myopic - we have a poor team, managed by a manager who has a history of getting teams relegated and a club run by a Board that is seemingly happy to finish in the bottom half of the Championship every season.

Open your eyes!   

[/quote]

FFS give it a break, you sound like an idiot.

[quote user="The Huckerby Delusion"][quote user="rocky marshall"]Seemed like we played an awful lot of ''direct'' balls towards The Frenchman tonight. Much different to the passing game to get forward against Brum.[/quote]

Thats where my frustration comes from, that fact that they played some superb footie against Brum, then tonight were absolute no shows.
[/quote]

this is exactly the reason i didnt want us to sign a target man... we went from being brilliant against Brum to playing Hoofball last night....the target man is not the answer!

jas :)

I''d rather see my club getting the three points at the end of the game. I agree tha t this isn''t always possible, but to make good football effective you need the players to do that. We don''t have them, it''s an inconvenient truth!!!

I support NCFC, so I want to see them win. I do not really care how!

Flecky stuck his chances in the back of the net!

[quote user="LinkNR9"]

Open your eyes!   

[/quote]

You''re perfectly right of course Link, but ''they'' don''t want to hear the truth!.[:|]

[quote user="Rasputin was a C..."]Earn the right to play our football

I seem to remember that being one of Worthington''s favourite quotes in his early years here and it is probably right in some way. Especially in the season we won the league. Quite often the football wasn''t overly brilliant and it was really only once Svensson, McKenzie and Huckerby were all flying that the slick passing, attacking football was displayed. I suppose flying is probably not the right word with Svensson, not quite quick enough for flying but you know what I mean. Up to Christmas more often than not it was the hard work and fight that got us the results. We earned the right to play the pretty football. We got the blend of nasty bastard and poncey sod just right and haven''t really matched it since.

Commitment and Work Ethic

I reckon that is also quite important. I know they became clichés, but he did get some things right.
[/quote]

Spot on .QPR won because ,to use another cliche, they wanted it more than us.Despite the fact that they were down to 10 they won about 80% of the loose balls in the middle of the field.I thought that their workrate was superb,as was their strength.Neil Adams made the point on Canary Call that he couldn''t remember the last time he''d seen a Norwich side "bullied" like that.We played in front of their back four throughout the game.It doesn''t matter how many passes you string together if you have no penetration.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="Rasputin was a C..."]Earn the right to play our football

I seem to remember that being one of Worthington''s favourite quotes in his early years here and it is probably right in some way. Especially in the season we won the league. Quite often the football wasn''t overly brilliant and it was really only once Svensson, McKenzie and Huckerby were all flying that the slick passing, attacking football was displayed. I
Commitment and Work Ethic

I reckon that is also quite important. I know they became clichés, but he did get some things right.
[/quote]

Spot on .QPR won because ,to use another cliche, they wanted it more than us.Despite the fact that they were down to 10 they won about 80% of the loose balls in the middle of the field.I thought that their workrate was superb,as was their strength.Neil Adams made the point on Canary Call that he couldn''t remember the last time he''d seen a Norwich side "bullied" like that.We played in front of their back four throughout the game.It doesn''t matter how many passes you string together if you have no penetration.

[/quote]

Agreed. (Come back Chadwick!). In the first half it was high hoof for Lupoli to run onto - we might have gotten lucky but we didn''t and never looked likely to. I think a target man is essential (thought Sibierski was excellent last night - class) but it shouldn''t dictate our game. Even Marshall was hoofing the ball at every opportunity. In the second half, the manager had clearly spoken and we then at last played it on the deck and Marshall was rolling it out so we could build from the back. But neat passing (when it occurred) needs to be backed up with real penetration - there was very little running either with or off the ball. Croft managed a couple of runs but that was it. Hoolahan was ineffective. Fotheringham and Pattison (who had a good game) actually created very little. Chadwick can at least run at defences and should be given a run out.

One bright spot for me was Grounds (15). Only only on for a short while but wanted the ball, looked confident and relaxed and was prepared to run at the opposition - hope he gets another chance

To answer the original question: I''ll take boring Stoke/QPR style football if it guarantees promotion but I''d rather play exciting stuff and finish mid table than finish just outside the top six after slog and tedium

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="LinkNR9"]

Open your eyes!   

[/quote]

You''re perfectly right of course Link, but ''they'' don''t want to hear the truth!.[:|]

[/quote]Give it a rest you tedious nerk

Personally I agree with WeWantWorthyBack,  I would rather we played entertaining football and finished mid-table than play poorly and be in a relegation dogfight like last season. Last night was the first bad performance of the season and all of the sudden we are going to be relegated, which is a stark contrast to Saturday night when people were saying we were going to finish in the top 6. JP [;)]

sorry, for me it''s about winning. most supporters want to see their team win. if they win and play entertaining football, so much the better but playing nice football and then having nothing to play for from feb/march onwards is boring in itself.

we just got bullied out of the game last night, and that has happened to us so many times over the years, would like to see us as the bullies for a change!

i know its not the answer your looking for but you need blend of the two, think how many teams have truly played their way out of this league? three i can think off in fulham, reading, wba

how many teams done it not in nice style but through grinding out results? last two seasons i count sunderland, hull, stoke, derby, birmingham

wwwb - would you rather loser 4-3 than win 1-0 then? if thats the case then keegan is available

Beautiful flowing football doesn''t mean going all out at opponents with no thought of the consequences at the otherside of the pitch. Look at arsenal they play the arguably the best football in the europe and yet their defence is very rarely breached more than twice in a game. (I do realise comparing us with arsenal is the stuff of dreams, but it is an example)  But back to the question WeWantWorthyBack asked in the first place, in my eyes if we play flowing football like we did against Birmingham for the majority of the season and finish mid table that is an improvement on last season and something we can build on and improve next season. I do agree with your point about trying to blend the two as long as the latter is only used when we get to the last ten minutes of a game and we need to get the ball in the opposition box. 

The most exciting football I''ve seen City play in all my years of going was when Walker was in charge for the first season, in that year we mixed it up with passing and long passing (not long hoofs) then teams cant predict how your going to play but until the current players are prepared to work hard off the ball for perhaps no reward to create two or three options for the guy on the ball we will always struggle with either game and be predictable. Anyway the only thing I desperately dont want to see is passing or hoof ball and relegation, I think promotion is probably a long way off either style we employ. So Midtable and mixing the passing (not hoof) up please GR.

[quote user="WeWantWorthyBack"]Would you rather Norwich played beautiful flowing proper football all season, won some games, lost some games, but ultimately finished mid-table, OR, played like Stoke, boring and unentertaining, but were in the mix come what May. [/quote]Is it unreasonable to want Norwich to play beautiful flowing proper football all season and be in the mix?It is?Oh.