Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Francis the hero,

What a performance, absoluttely top draw. We could so easily have folded at two down. Many sides would, look at Villa tonight!!

But we hung on and got less than we deserved. We were wonderful and I am so very proud!!!!!!!

I thought Francis, Edworthy, Hucks, Doherty and Drury were immense.

The only quibble was with poor Holty, who maybe should have blocked the first and definately stopped the second. Not that we should have a go, he gives his all... but it just doesn''t seem to be enough. An excellent cover player this season but bring on Safri I feel.

but quibble aside- we are looking hot.....

P.S. - why the hell did Bentley come off????
I wanted Leon on- but for Bentley????

Agree with all of that. Safri is fit now i believe so maybe he will feature soon.

As for Bentley going off, Neil Adams just said on the radio he reckons he had an injury, so a wise decision if so. Not that he can play on Saturday anyway.

Great result, but still think we could do with a bit more height in the middle of defence. Holt probably could do with a rest so hopefully Safri is fit. I thought Edworthy was outstanding in his first start and should keep his place for Arsenal game. As for Bentley, maybe Wenger has asked Worthy to only play him for 75 mins each game. I hope nobody blames Leon for not putting away the late chance, after all, he has only had 8 mins, 15 mins and 20 mins. I still think he causes problems for the opposition and his lay back which led to the equaliser was very good.

Francis was quality once again. He must have covered more ground than anyone else on that pitch. He really is rising to the occasion superbly well, and for me gets better with every game. Keep it up!

francis was awesome, the local commentators up here at the start were saying he was ordinary and not premier class, they were eating there words at the end of the game. francis is huge this season, shame about holty. I think we should bring in petit his vision and experience with francis would give us an awesome centre midfield.

I think that Bents was probably feeling his recent calf injury; he left the pitch at the end of the game clutching an ice pack, it was definitely a minor injury. Still, what a performance by the boys, especially The Ginger Pele - could a new striker(Johansson or Harewood) have given more tonight than the Doc? The Spuds fans said that he always gives 110% and tonight was proof of this.

i have to echo all that has been said about damo, he is just on fire, and thank god he is playing for us

last night was one of our best performances ever, for years, considering the opposition and the fact we have only just started the season - we were just outstanding, i wish i could have been there, my son was, and he rang after the game and we heard the fans up there singing their hearts out, i am not ashamed to admit i wept

it was great in squares watching the game, the place was alive after our first goal, great stuff - not as good as being there, but hey, the game and our performance was outstanding, just a shame we didn''t get any recognition for it, just an hour''s post mortem on how bad newcastle were!!!

Damo does seem to be playing at his level - his battle with Fabragas on sat should be superb.

I agree that no striker could give more that the Doc gave (and he was rewarded with the equaliser) but effort and ability are not linked in any way. I strongly believe that a dedicated striker would give us a further lift and give us cover if , god forbid, hux get injured...

OTBC

Damian Francis certainly was my Man of the Match too.

The comments in the intial post concerning Holty, are, in my opinion, rather harsh. Gary got through a tremendous amount of work last night, closing palyers down and generally making life difficult for Newcastle. Where he let himself down, on several occassions, was with his passing. Ok, I know that''s an essential part of the game, but to suggest he isn''t up to the task, does seem, to me, to be over the top.

Francis was terrific. Green, Charlton, Fleming, Edworthy.... long list of fine performances. Quick mention for Jonson who looked a lot better when he came on.

Francis was a legend again. Holt was below par again. Edworthy fantastic, he had the look of a man fighting for his place, which is what Worthy wants. The back four looks good but 2 lapses of concentration cost us, we will learn from this I''m sure.
Hux SHOULD have scored but he was a constant menace all night long. What I really liked was the outlet that Doherty gave us, he held it up and gave us chance to regroup when under pressure. Worthy has done it again, all of you who scoffed when we bought him should hang your heads in shame!!

It''s harsh to be critical after such a good performance, but Jonson should have scored too.

He hardly jumped for that back post header which hit the bar. Had he been forceful and attached the ball, I''m sure the result would have been different.

Perhaps it''s indicative of how far this team has progressed over the last 3 seasons that we are being critical of such minor points ???

OTBC.

I have to say, I think Francis looks better at PL level than Div1! I thought he would do well at this level though and was the best player on the pitch last night, closely followed by steady.

There is no way Jonsson could have scored. He met the ball perfectly (just above his standing height) and Bernard jumped against him and deflected the ball.

If he had jumped forwards to intercept the ball he would have fouled Bernard. Jonsson did well when he came on, and showed how the depth of our squad is improving wonderfully.

All I can say is, after last night, well done to the players but most of all well done Worthy for continually improving our squad and giving us some great options in our team.

Sorry bananaman, but we''ll have to agree to disagree on Jonson''s effort.

Bernard was moving backwards towards Jonson, as you say, but a greater jump vertically and he would have met the ball sooner and got more power behind his header, without fouling his opponent.

The same point was made on Sky.

This aside, I thought Jonson did very well when he came on.

couldn''t agree more saint, he was immense again last night, wow, he must be enjoying this premiership i think - i also rated bentley, although i am not sure he is fully fit - but eddie, damo - superb!!

Fair play, I''ll settle with agreeing to disagree. From my point of view, if Jonsson had leapt higher, the ball would have been under his head. Watch the replay (if you can) - the ball comes floating horizontally in and so height isn''t an issue.

Anyhoo, he looked good coming from the bench and I think will be an integral part of our team when his confidence rises.