Sign in to follow this  
Tumbleweed

The new Chris Sutton?

Well I thought Doherty was excellent last night and fully deserved his goal. Despite all the doubters on this Board he has made a huge contribution already and looked exactly what we need up front.

But at the end Niall Quinn said that Doherty wants to be a defender- I just hoep Nige sticks to his guns. Charlton and Flem were great again and there''s no need to break up that partnership.

Doc looked so strong he reminded me of our £5m man who is the last player I can remember who looked strong in attack and defence.

Time will tell but this looks to have been a great signing (unlike our Scandinavian friends who must have lost their places in record time!!)

Tumbleweed, I have to say I wondered how long it would be before somebody raised the point about the last defender City had that became one of our most prolific strikers. Is Gary Doherty another Chris Sutton? Only time will tell, although I would suspect he would rather be playing in his more familiar central defensive role.

I almost, and am now glad I didn''t, posted yesterday afternoon to complain that Doherty was starting out of his preferred position, that it showed lack of ambition to play a defender upfront in a premiership match, etc. etc.

How wrong I was.

Doherty was absolutely superb. He was everything that Svensson hasn''t been this season, confident, awsome in the air and into the goals. I''m converted. Let''s start him against Arsenal. Ginger Pele! Ginger Pele! Oooh! Oooh!

The Doc has made a magnificent start. You''re right Tumbleweed about the Sutton reference. Came to the club as a defender and turned into a damn good striker! I can see similarities too. As Worthy bought the Doc as a central defender it begs the question: Will he look for another centre back as the Doc has made a good start up front, or still buy another forward and put the Doc back in defence? Only Worthy knows the answer me thinks!

Keep the faith

Never....Doherty is no Chris Sutton...mark my words!

Doherty is not bad as a fill in but we need a prolific targert man/striker who will net consistently if we are to get goals regulary.

Doherty will not be able to do this.

Spot on Canary Boy - let''s not get over excited about the Doc up front. Sure, he did well, he gets in there and causes problems and moreover, he''s a great option to have up your sleave in the event of injuries and suspensions, but he''s not quite the answer up front imo. Not the out and out target striker who''s going to get you 15 plus a season. Johansson could be the man, not seen enough of him myself, i''m an Ashton fan, but we''ll see. With the Doc as a defender, we now have, in Helveg, Edworthy, Charlton, Doherty, Fleming, Makay, Drury and Brennan, a good solid back line with equally good solid back up.