Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

DONCASTER - Wages the cause of club's money woes

Anyone else read Doncasters column in the EDP today? Is it just me or does the last paragraph read a bit like a final summing up of Delias contribution to the club, could it be a clue that a takeover actually may be in the offing?

I like the nice little snub to the fans at the end - basically, the true owners of the club, the fans, have no need to know who the club is going to be sold to - until it is.....On the other hand, I see the article as basically setting out the fact we are mega skint (quite WHO we would sell in January is beyond me! is there anybody of serious value left?), and very seriously need more investment.

Interesting that he states they are willing to speak to anyone contacting them regarding investment and doesn''t specifically mention they are actively contacting people themselves to seek investment.

Probably just an oversite.....

Interesting that he thinks there would be any players that could have been sold in January.

We would have had to have a car boot sale.

I for one didn''t really notice the departure of Newsome and Ward. They were just another two added to the long list sold prior to them.

[quote user="The Judge"]

Interesting that he states they are willing to speak to anyone contacting them regarding investment and doesn''t specifically mention they are actively contacting people themselves to seek investment.

[/quote]

Well since Cullum stated he has contacted the club twice and wouldn''t contact them a third time for want of being considered an irritant, I assume this remark to mean that the board expect Cullum to make the approach rather they pick up the phone and call him. It all seems a little childish to me.

If you''re dealing with a business which has lost £7M from turnover in the last fiancial year, you clearly can''t carry on having expenditure levels at previously levels without the combination of player trading or / or additonal loans.

Reading between the lines, it looks like there''s finally been a realisation of this necessity (probably driven by the Turners business nous) hence the reason for cuts in expenditure across the Club, right from players wages down to the loss of the stadium manager and many others! 

[quote]How do the likes of Preston North End manage?[/quote]

According to Delloitte, no championship club is sustainable without either some time in the Premiership, or if you''re not that lucky, regular injections of cash from the owners of the club.

[quote user="The Judge"]

[/quote]

If they''re the ones seeking investment then they need to be the ones picking up the phone and dialling. Cullums basically told them hes ready and waiting for a phone call.

Get on with it.

Precisely my point PMY...

Our current board have sat on their hands the last 4 seasons "hoping" that things get better while alot of us saw this situation arising a number of years ago if they stuck to the strategy they were so intent on adopting and following...

Thing is if they approach people seeking investment themselves - they potentially weaken their bargaining position (i.e. the amount of control they are prepared to relinquish, and the amount they ask for their share)s, however if they wait for people to contact them they are in the position of strenght (i.e. if you want to invest it has to be on our terms, are you the right sort of person we want, you will have to stump up £xx etc etc)....

If (and I state "if") the only investment strategy our board are adopting is waiting for people to contact them, then you have to question if Delia and Michael really want to sell up, or are they just looking for additional investment with them remaining in total control...

Time will tell.... (and hopefully not too long to wait one way or another now..)

[quote user="Canary Nut"]

What happened to the division related player contracts?

£8.5m wage bill for a club that will do well to finish mid table!

How do the likes of Preston North End manage?

[/quote]

It`s an £8.5m player budget, so it includes everything- not just wages.  Interesting that he states that it`s the "highest player budget we`ve had in this league" when the player wage bill alone was £9m the season after relegation......Pork scratchings Niel?

I can only assume that transfer income isn`t added to this budget- at least they`ve stopped telling us it is anyway.....

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote]How do the likes of Preston North End manage?[/quote]

According to Delloitte, no championship club is sustainable without either some time in the Premiership, or if you''re not that lucky, regular injections of cash from the owners of the club.

[/quote]What on earth have burnley done over the last few years then!

[quote user="Canary Nut"]

[/quote]

When Watford got promoted last time around their wage bill was reported as being less than £3m pa. Just goes to prove that spending more money than the next team doesn''t guarantee promotion.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Canary Nut"]

[/quote]

It`s an £8.5m player budget, so it includes everything- not just wages.  Interesting that he states that it`s the "highest player budget we`ve had in this league" when the player wage bill alone was £9m the season after relegation......Pork scratchings Niel?

I can only assume that transfer income isn`t added to this budget- at least they`ve stopped telling us it is anyway.....

[/quote]

so have we just made our "Budget" known to our rivals? something the club said they would never do...

jas :)

"It`s an £8.5m player budget, so it includes everything- not just wages.  Interesting that he states that it`s the "highest player budget we`ve had in this league" when the player wage bill alone was £9m the season after relegation"

Are you comparing "like with like" there, given that the season after relegation included parachute payments?

[quote user="GazzaTCC"]

"It`s an £8.5m player budget, so it includes everything- not just wages.  Interesting that he states that it`s the "highest player budget we`ve had in this league" when the player wage bill alone was £9m the season after relegation"

Are you comparing "like with like" there, given that the season after relegation included parachute payments?

[/quote]

That`s irrelevant.  Is his statement true or not?

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="GazzaTCC"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The weather forecaster said that we have blue skies today. His statement was true but he failed to mention that the skies were filled with 90 % cloud cover. To many, this would be entirely relevant. Mr. Carrow, you are such a spin master that you are eminently qualified for the job at Carrow Road for the reasons you are so quick to despise in others.

[/quote]

[/quote]

That''s irrelevant - who cares if the statement is true or not ?  Does it change anything ?

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don''t have the Club''s accounts to hand at the mo, but, if you''re asking me (and I''m slightly puzzled by the tone of your question) were the wages higher in our first season back in the Championship (with the benefit of parachute payments) than now (without the benefit of parachute payments) , then, I suspect, the answer will be yes.

However, I thought the gist of his article was that he was trying to compare like with like and, therefore, if you stip out the one offs, net transfer payments and directors loans etc, we now have the highest player budget than before.

Maybe I''ve got it wrong, but that''s how I read it?    

[quote user="GazzaTCC"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="GazzaTCC"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don''t have the Club''s accounts to hand at the mo, but, if you''re asking me (and I''m slightly puzzled by the tone of your question) were the wages higher in our first season back in the Championship (with the benefit of parachute payments) than now (without the benefit of parachute payments) , then, I suspect, the answer will be yes.

However, I thought the gist of his article was that he was trying to compare like with like and, therefore, if you stip out the one offs, net transfer payments and directors loans etc, we now have the highest player budget than before.

[/quote]

You are quite correct Gazza but, in reaching such a conclusion, you have to be a fair and objective person. They are not qualities appreciated by some on this forum.

[quote user="GazzaTCC"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="GazzaTCC"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]of course you got it wrong mr carrows allways right!!! you cant pull the wool over his eyes!!!!

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!  [:@]

£8.5m seems high - £10m as first budgeted was very high!  In 2006-7 our wages were around £5.5m from memory (I recall about Â£0.3m more than budgeted due to loans) and last season they were something like £5.8m due to the increase in Jan 08.  Mind you I''d hate to see what they are going to be this season with the likes of Volz, Thatcher and Campo on the books now!  Where is the £8.5m being spent - who are your high earners?  £8.5m for a total professional playing staff of 30 (est) is Â£5.5k a week average. If you take away the youngsters on their first contracts at something like £2-3k a week you get.....?

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Canary Nut"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Rather than go off on the usual diversionary tangents can people please read the above post and point out what i`ve got wrong?  Is an £8.5m player budget the "highest we`ve had in this league" or not?  If not, why say it?  It`s called "sticking to the argument"- it`s not that difficult if you engage your braincells.....

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Canary Nut"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Rather than go off on the usual diversionary tangents can people please read the above post and point out what i`ve got wrong?  Is an £8.5m player budget the "highest we`ve had in this league" or not?  If not, why say it?  It`s called "sticking to the argument"- it`s not that difficult if you engage your braincells.....

[/quote]

Mr C, rather than adopting such a condescending tone, why don''t you read my previous response and engage in some meaningful debate.

I''m not saying I''m right and you''re wrong, but at least I''ve tried to answer your query the best I can.

I can only assume from the tone of your response that you don''t believe the quote to be true. I clearly can''t answer for ND, it''s his quote afterall, but, perhaps you''d like to explain why you think it''s wrong?

[quote user="astrodyne"]I like the nice little snub to the fans at the end - basically, the true owners of the club, the fans, have no need to know who the club is going to be sold to - until it is.....
[/quote]

Actually he said some supporters, which was in no way a snub to the fans but more a subtle dig at people of your ilk.  I suspect that most of us fans had a little chortle at this, I cetainly did.

Mr Doncaster said last March in his EDP column "The Chief" that "This mindset, that the club is somehow flush with cash, is something I will try to address in a future article, with a summary of exactly how the money has been spent over the past ten years."

Well does anyone think he has made good his promise today? I don''t. Its just another play on words for us supporters who have wondered where all the money has gone over the last ten years because its certainly not been spent "on the pitch"

Maybe when he did look where the money went he didn''t want us to know. Remember this is from the club that says its open with its supporters.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST