Sign in to follow this  
Ivana_rubyatitz

Bizare "goal" at Watford

OK, strictly speaking not Norwich related although if it had happened in a game involving us I guess we would be debating it for weeks.

Should be interesting to watch on the Championship highlights tomorrow morning as the Reading "goal" was in fact a header that went yards wide but was given by the linesman who thought it had crossed the line in the goal itself.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/7614022.stm

Sounds like an incredible gaffe from the linesman, although if the ref was unsighted you can understand why he relied on him and gave the goal.  Must be another strong argument in favour of video replays or other goal line technology, but what about the idea that if the Reading players knew it was not a goal should they have let Watford score to even it all up?

[quote user="Pboro_Canary"]

OK, strictly speaking not Norwich related although if it had happened in a game involving us I guess we would be debating it for weeks.

Should be interesting to watch on the Championship highlights tomorrow morning as the Reading "goal" was in fact a header that went yards wide but was given by the linesman who thought it had crossed the line in the goal itself.

Sounds like an incredible gaffe from the linesman, although if the ref was unsighted you can understand why he relied on him and gave the goal.  Must be another strong argument in favour of video replays or other goal line technology, but what about the idea that if the Reading players knew it was not a goal should they have let Watford score to even it all up?

[/quote]right, so you''ve got an unsighted ref, and short sighted linesman - what was the other linesman doing??? even from the other half/side of the pitch, he''d surely be able to see the ball go wide - and what about the fourth official???despite this, clearly the watford protests should have carried significant weight, cos they could have pointed to an empty goal???

Saw this story on the beeb site, sounds hugely bizarre - you can perhaps understand a lino looking along the goalline not being certain where the ball is when it crossed the line (ie it could be the other side of the goal so appear to be in it) but as it has been portrayed here, surely the ref should have checked at what point he was talking about - it would have been relatively clear that the ball had gone out of play for a corner.  Will certainly have to see it on tv to believe it.

Well, it appears that the Reading players knew equally well that it wasn''t a goal, and should have either protested to the referee as well, or scored an own goal imho. It is a sport after all.

[quote user="astrodyne"]Well, it appears that the Reading players knew equally well that it wasn''t a goal, and should have either protested to the referee as well, or scored an own goal imho. It is a sport after all.
[/quote]

So every time a wrong throw in, a wrong corner, a wrong free kick, a wrong penalty is given that leads to a goal the team concerned should fess up?

Blimey.[:|]

Cam is right.. our goal was defected today.. so should we of allowed James Beattie to smack one off Jon Otsemobors legs and Marshall watch it go in to compensate?

Who on here would of wanted Norwich to let the other team score if it was us?

Remember Reading away when Mulryne scored after the ball hit the ref?

jas :)

Where the hell do they find these match officials, lets hope that there isnt a close call for either team with points issues on relegation or the promotion front at the end of the season.

What a jack ass of a lino and ref, cant expect Reading to right the wrongs of the match officials, the game would be even more farcical and undermine the ref''s authority as the teams decide on whether he''s made a boob or not on every decision.

[:|][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Cam is right.. our goal was defected today.. so should we of allowed James Beattie to smack one off Jon Otsemobors legs and Marshall watch it go in to compensate?

Who on here would of wanted Norwich to let the other team score if it was us?

Remember Reading away when Mulryne scored after the ball hit the ref?

[/quote]

The RodneyUPlonker match officials gave it as a goal.  No doubt there was a resultant kick off from the Centre Circle. 

It wasn''t a goal but it was.

FFS which isn''t even to mention what was Offside and what wasn''t[:|] 

Ref points to Centre Circle or after being unsighted fails to notice that the keeper punched the ball back out six inches over the line and says: "Play On".to protests from the attacking hoards.

Perhaps I should have run after him and said: "Ref, it was a goal.  It was over the line."

I didn''t.  Sorry, everyone.[+o(]

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

[quote user="astrodyne"]Well, it appears that the Reading players knew equally well that it wasn''t a goal, and should have either protested to the referee as well, or scored an own goal imho. It is a sport after all.[/quote]

So every time a wrong throw in, a wrong corner, a wrong free kick, a wrong penalty is given that leads to a goal the team concerned should fess up?

Blimey.[:|]

[/quote]No Cam, those things are completely different because in the heat of the match, the players would be uncertain whether a decision was right or wrong and would claim the goal. The Reading players (it seems) knew quite clearly it wasn''t a goal, and IMO should not have accepted it. It was the sporting thing to do, and if City did it, I would be very proud of them.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Saw this story on the beeb site, sounds hugely bizarre - you can perhaps understand a lino looking along the goalline not being certain where the ball is when it crossed the line (ie it could be the other side of the goal so appear to be in it) but as it has been portrayed here, surely the ref should have checked at what point he was talking about - it would have been relatively clear that the ball had gone out of play for a corner.  Will certainly have to see it on tv to believe it.[/quote]I read somewhere that the ref was on the near side though, which makes it even stranger.As for whether Reading should have told the ref to not award the goal, I would have felt embarassed had Norwich scored such a goal, but I would rather it stood than it didn''t. As a neutral though, Reading probably should have shown a higher level of sportsmanship and had a word with the ref.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]What the hell are you on about? We scored a perfectly legitimate goal today, nothing like the goal at Watford!

[/quote]

The only difference being ours actually went into the net.

Truly bizarre....

[/quote]No, if it happened to us it would be the board''s fault.  No debate needed.

On youtube already...[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC-8domNrGc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC-8domNrGc[/url]

Must be another strong argument in favour of video replays or other goal line technology, but what about the idea that if the Reading players knew it was not a goal should they have let Watford score to even it all up?

[/quote]

Call me sad and old fashioned (no, please don''t!) - but in situations like this I think the (Reading) team players should tell their captain who should then own up to the referee. Everyone makes mistakes - but why should Watford suffer unnecessarily? A similar thing happened last season (?) at Spurs when the ball clearly crossed the line but the officials were nowhere near as the goalkeeper or defender hooked it clear but from the back of the net. The FA are quick to charge those who blurt out emotional tirades in the heat of the moment, with bringing the game into disrepute, but isn''t there a case for the Reading players be so charged here?

Sometimes, as int he case of handball, a player really may not know if he''s at fault and then it''s up to the referee to rule.But I''d like to think that when it is patently obvious that a mistake has been made, decent sides like Norwich would stand to attention from the kick off and allow the other side side to tap in. Winning is nearly everything I know - but it isn''t everything.

If the ref and assistant were in a decent position they should have realised it was not in. If there was any doubt look for the goal, celebrations from the Reading players.

It will be interesting to see who gets given the (non) goal.

i wouldnt be suprised of the FA dont declare the game null and void and replay it to be fair....

Watford would look very stupid if they agreed then lost the replayed fixture wouldnt they?

i wouldnt be suprised of the FA dont declare the game null and void and replay it to be fair....

Watford would look very stupid if they agreed then lost the replayed fixture wouldnt they?

[/quote]

For all I know they will but my bet is that as the goal was given and they then kicked off again as if it "was" a goal, it will stand.

I will, however, keep an eye on the Official Appointments to League Two, the Conference and beyond.[:|]

Dreadful... The bad decisions by refs and lino''s seem to have sky-rocketed since this respect campaign. I just can''t believe they gave that goal. Really Reading should have given them a goal back. I recall Blackpool? (or it might have been luton) giving a goal back when the other teams goalie was injured or something. Sportsmanship shouldn''t be shown the door in football.

It looks as though there will be an enquiry!

Reading goal error to be examined

Nigel Bannister (l) and Stuart Atwell

Bannister (l) advised Stuart Atwell to award the ''goal''

The decision to award Reading the opener in their 2-2 draw with Watford will be reviewed by the Professional Game Match Officials Board.

Assistant referee Nigel Bannister advised referee Stuart Atwell to award a goal, despite the ball going four yards wide of the goal.

PGMOA assistant referee''s manager Paul Rejer told Watford''s website: "It appears a mistake has been made.

"It will be reviewed by us. If it is a serious error, he will regret it."

The linesman has decided it''s a goal. I''ve asked him about it and he said it was an optical illusion

Watford boss Aidy Boothroyd

He continued: "It was the assistant referee who gave the goal and from his position and angle it appeared the ball had crossed the line for a goal. He has made a human error.

"The referee has no way of knowing for definite; he was relying on his assistant referee to make that decision.

"Performances by referees and assistant referees are reviewed after every game, both on the day and by DVD."

The ''goal'' was registered as an own goal by Watford''s John Eustace, who was challenging Noel Hunt.

src="http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/emp/2_6_5222/player.swf" width="226"

height="106" id="bbc_emp_fmtj_embed_emb" name="embeddedPlayer_7627355"

wmode="default" allowFullScreen="true" name="embeddedPlayer_7627355"

flashvars="config=http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/emp/config/default.xml?v10&companionSize=300x30&companionType=adi&preroll=&config_settings_suppressItemKind=advert,

ident&config_settings_autoPlay=false&config_settings_showPopoutButton=false&playlist=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.bbc.co.uk%2Fmedia%2Femp%2F7620000%2F7627300%2F7627355.xml&config_plugin_fmtjLiveStats_pageType=eav2&embedReferer=http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/default.stm&config_plugin_fmtjLiveStats_edition=Domestic&embedPageUrl=/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/watford/7628234.stm&"/>
After the match, Hornets boss Aidy Boothroyd told BBC London 94.9: "I went to see the referee and in fairness to him, although he wasn''t brilliant today, you can''t blame him if there''s a guy in his ear telling him it''s a goal.

"The linesman has decided it''s a goal. I''ve asked him about it and he said it was an optical illusion.

"I saw the ball go out for a goal-kick and my centre-half has put his hand up and asked for the goal-kick and for some strange reason a goal has been given."

[/quote]I can''t decide whether you''re doing this just to entertain me. Since the mistake was no worse than the Spurs goal thar wasn''t given at Old Trafford a few years ago why should this be replayed.