Sign in to follow this  
king canary

OT- Man U Fans

trendy to support something American, you''re having a laugh mate........ watching the Ryder cup and the behaviour of the big headed American golfers made me sick, no etiquette whatsoever

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

I have never understood the Irish obsession with Manchester Uniyed.  It predates Best though he has something to do with it.

I''ve asked my Man Utd supporting Irish relatives.   They''be no idea.   It''s just something they all do instinctively like drink and dance.

[/quote]It''s because at least initially they were a catholic club. like most of the big city teams that play in red (eg. Arsenal, Liverpool). Likewise blue teams tend to be protestant and nationalist (Everton, Chelsea, Rangers)

[quote user="king canary"]What is it about these lot? I was in a bar watching the game today, planning neutrality but there is something about sitting in a room full of them that makes me want to support the other team however much I hate them![/quote]

I too became a Chelski fan for Sundays game - it just about summed the Utd ''fans'' that were in the pub up, when they were commenting ''who the f**k is John Evans'' when the sides were announced!

Bloody idiots [:D] 

trendy to support something American, you''re having a laugh mate........ - jc7

Have you never been to England, jc7?  You can''t go anywhere in a central city area and not see "American style" this, that and the other thing being flogged in store and restaurant windows.  I can''t imagine business owners do this hoping to drive away customers.

I don''t give a crap about the Ryder Cup, not do I pretend to even understand the variety of games involved or points scored.  However, finding fault with golfers getting excited is petty.  Maybe you prefer watching your Euro-automatons grind emotionlessly around the course, but American fans (whom American golfers represent in that tournament) enjoy a little burst of energy and excitement from an otherwise deathly boring event.   The Victorian Era is over, buster. Get with the times.  Why not show some enjoyment and have some fun if you''re doing well, Scrooge?  Is your real name Fagin?

Ok Houston is there any chance that maybe, one day we can have a thread where you dont turn it into a ''everyone hates america'' thread?

I suppose if there comes a time when people stop making pointless anti-American comments.  Maybe you should ask the others if we could ever have a thread that doesn''t involve anti-American sentiment.  I just respond.  I don''t start them.

I have been on plenty of threads trashing Doherty (none lately since he''s yesterday''s news) with no mention of the US.

[quote user="Rasputin was a C..."]Why would a post about Doherty require a mention of the US?[/quote]Because if Doherty played in MLS, he''d truly be the Ginger Pele.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

I suppose if there comes a time when people stop making pointless anti-American comments.  Maybe you should ask the others if we could ever have a thread that doesn''t involve anti-American sentiment.  I just respond.  I don''t start them.

I have been on plenty of threads trashing Doherty (none lately since he''s yesterday''s news) with no mention of the US.

[/quote]

Actually it was you that started this debate about NFL fans. You also went off on one on the NFL thread when noone had insulted the US. Just relax, accept some people dont like your country and get over it.

Actually it was you that started this debate about NFL fans. - King Canary

Poor, misguided KC.  You are so lost without your Sunshine Band.  My comment about NFL fans was IN RESPONSE to someone moaning about plastic American Man U fans who don''t understand the sport.  How does that make me the instigator?

As for referring to that stumbling bimbling blockheaded clod Gary Doherty as "the Ginger Pele", I didn''t know Pele bumbled and staggered cluelessly his way to greatness.  Is someone expecting Doherty to adopt Pele''s grace and skill, or are the ones who use that term for Doherty just completely unaware of who Pele is?  I don''t recall watching games from Brazil and hearing the crowd moan with anguish each time the ball went near Pele. Of course, when his play resulted in a goal, as when Doherty''s does, the people were likely saying the same thing in Brazil as at Carrow Road, "that''s typical of him".

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

Actually it was you that started this debate about NFL fans. - King Canary

Poor, misguided KC.  You are so lost without your Sunshine Band.  My comment about NFL fans was IN RESPONSE to someone moaning about plastic American Man U fans who don''t understand the sport.  How does that make me the instigator?

As for referring to that stumbling bimbling blockheaded clod Gary Doherty as "the Ginger Pele", I didn''t know Pele bumbled and staggered cluelessly his way to greatness.  Is someone expecting Doherty to adopt Pele''s grace and skill, or are the ones who use that term for Doherty just completely unaware of who Pele is?  I don''t recall watching games from Brazil and hearing the crowd moan with anguish each time the ball went near Pele. Of course, when his play resulted in a goal, as when Doherty''s does, the people were likely saying the same thing in Brazil as at Carrow Road, "that''s typical of him".

[/quote]

That person would be me HC and if you bothered to read things rather than take insult I said ''I know some Americans who are very clued up on the game.'' Just these ones were not.

And as for Doherty you really do not ger irony/sarcasm do you?

And as for Doherty you really do not ger irony/sarcasm do you? - King Canary

I don''t scour the messages enough to know that "Ginger Pele" is sarcasm.  I assumed the character here who uses that name was a fan of Doherty (or Don''t Hurt Us - again) but apparently I was wrong.  My mistake.

Its a nickname given to him at Spurs. But I dont expect you to know that, but maybe you should ask, instead of making out GP is some form of idiot.