Sign in to follow this  
drinks

Aviva give up shirt sponsorship?

When I saw the headline in this morning’s EDP I thought Aviva had done a XL and the club were flogging the sponsorship to the highest bidder!

“Aviva and Eastern Daily Press have joined forces to provide one charity an exclusive opportunity to raise their profile and generate funds for the good work they do!

Aviva, proud sponsors of Norwich City Football Club, have taken an unprecedented step and agreed to relinquish their prominent branding on the first team’s shirts for one match - the Norwich City v Doncaster Rovers game which will take place at Carrow Road on the 25 October 2008.”

Pretty good idea, not sure if the Donny game will give a charity much exposure, but there you go …

I guess it’s a bit like the Aston Villa deal this season but done for the right reasons (as opposed to a response to the flak they got for promoting a gambling website last season!)

Thought surely the best time to do a one match sponsorship deal would be in the FA Cup games, if we do what he tend to do, which is proceed one or two rounds and hit a Premiership Club, then it opens a lot more doors to advertise this one match sponsorship scheme.

Unless this game is being televised? But as you say Drinks, it''s not the best opponent to do a one match advertisement...

[quote user="Matt Juler"]That''s exactly why it''s the Donny game, because it''s not a high profile one.[/quote]

That’s a little bit cynical Matt! ;)

As I said, I think it’s a good idea and I’m sure no one at the club or NU (sorry Aviva!) would intentionally pick a less attractive game to give the shirts over to a charity. Why would they? The bigger the game, the bigger the exposure for the charity and in a subtle way, Aviva.

Interesting to see which local group gets put on the shirts (Samaritans might be good choice after Wednesday night performance!)

Hi Pete - do you know if the shirts will be on sale in the club shop before/after the game? I''d imagine there''d be pretty collectable if this is a one-off.

The club previously ran auctions on the official site with the match-worn poppy shirts - I imagine that will also be the case this time.

it would be hilarious if one of the players forgot and swapped shirts at the end of the game or tossed his shirt into the crowd.

jas :)

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]

I think this is a good story hopefully the charity whoever it is does well out of it, and we win on the day.

[/quote]

anyone know what the charity is?

whoops.. hit reply before i finished the last post...

They should give the money to the Air ambulance.. that way the local community will benefit plus its a fantasic organisation that works very hard as well for no NHS support!

Its shocking the government dont help support it and save peoples lives.

The community is invited to nominate a charity of their choice based on the nomination criteria.

All the nominations will then be judged by an independent judging panel who will select the shortlist of five charities.

The EDP will publish tokens every day for the community and the shortlisted charities to collect.

The charity with the most tokens will win the sponsorship opportunity.

To nominate your charity simply send the name and contact number of your nominated charity, along with 250 words on why you think the charity should win and how the charity has impacted the community.

Email: wincityforaday@archant.co.uk

All charities must:

• Be a registered charity

• Be based in Norfolk

• Be able to demonstrate that all of its work and initiatives are of benefit to Norfolk and the community.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

well i for one will be getting as many tokens as possible if the air Ambulance is involved!

[/quote]

Looks like you''ll need to too nominate the EA Air Ambulance first (using the email address in Pete''s post) to ensure that they are considered for the short list. The final voting, from the shortlist of 5, is where the tokens come in...

I think!

[quote user="drinks"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

well i for one will be getting as many tokens as possible if the air Ambulance is involved!

[/quote]

Looks like you''ll need to too nominate the EA Air Ambulance first (using the email address in Pete''s post) to ensure that they are considered for the short list. The final voting, from the shortlist of 5, is where the tokens come in...

I think!

[/quote]Yep - you have until Wenesday to write in to make your nominations. Then a shortlist of 5 charities will be chosen by a panel, then the public will get the opportunity to vote for one of those 5 charities by using tokens from the EDP.There was no conspiracy about what game was chosen - FA Cup would have been good, but if the game was away we would lose the opportunity to promote the charity at Carrow Road.Televised would have been great - but again those dates are not set in stone. Of the games played before Xmas, Donny was the most suitable.

I''ll be putting Nelsons Journey forward (http://www.nelsonsjourney.org.uk/). These guys do an amazing job and I know that getting the shirt sponsorship would mean a lot to them.

I''m nominating Ipswich Town Football Club they do a wonderful job in keeping those of special needs occupied on a saturday afternoon and always have spare room in their crowd for more...

it would be hilarious if one of the players forgot and swapped shirts at the end of the game or tossed his shirt into the crowd.

[/quote]

not really Jas, then it couldnt be auctioned for chairty! lol.

The 5 nominated charities are:

Big C
Benjamin Foundation
East Anglian Children''s Hospice
Nelson''s Jounrey
Norfolk & Norwich Association for the Blind

Details of each charity here:

http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/Competitions/2008/WinNCFC/default.aspx

How to vote:

The EDP will publish tokens every day for you to collect.

Tokens can be dropped into EDP offices in Yarmouth, Lowestoft, Beccles, Norwich, Cromer, Dereham, Diss, Fakenham, Thetford or sent in the post to:

Pete Waters,
Community Chest Tokens,
Prospect House,
Rouen Road,
Norwich NR1 1RE.

The deadline for tokens to reach our offices is 4pm on Monday October 6.

got to be Nelsons Journey! isn''t their mascot a cat? i Wonder if Norwich and Peterborogh would allow Spalt the Cat to be dressed up in a Nelsons journey T-Shirt if they win?

got to be Nelsons Journey!

[/quote]

I agree, Nelsons Journry - great name, great charity! :)