Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

Clark not Roeder the man to get us promoted?

I was just wondering if anyone else had thought of this.

1992, Newcastle struggling at the wrong end of the second division and on the verge of relegation, Keegan takes over as manager.  He keeps them up and the next season gets them promoted, and the rest is history as they say.

Taken from wiki -

"Later, Kevin Keegan returned to Tyneside to replace Osvaldo Ardiles as manager on a short term contract in 1992, taking what he claimed to be the only job that could tempt him back into football. United were struggling at the wrong end of Division Two; Sir John Hall had all but taken control of the club and he needed a minor miracle to stop Newcastle from tumbling into the Third Division for the first time in their history. Survival was confirmed by winning both of their final two league games, at home to Portsmouth and away to Leicester City, the latter to a last minute own goal, although as it transpired, Newcastle would have survived even if they had lost at Leicester.[6]

The 1992–93 season saw a dramatic turn around in the club''s fortunes. They won their first eleven league games before a 1–0 home defeat against Grimsby Town ended the run, two games short of the English league record of 13 consecutive wins. Playing an exciting brand of attacking football Newcastle became Division One champions with a 2–0 away win, coincidentally at Grimsby, and gained promotion to the Premier League."

And the man who experienced all of this, one Lee Clark.

You could draw comparisons with us, we were struggling at the wrong end of the table Roeder takes over and keeps us up.  The similarities may end there as during the summer KK had some money to spend and brought in some quality, and Newcastle had a fantastic start to the season. 

Who knows though, maybe we will have a bit of money in January and go on a bit of a run and clinch promotion.  If that were to happen Roeder would be getting all the plaudits, but Clark may have had more of a part to play in that than some people think.

Just because Clark experienced that does not necessarily mean it will translate to a benefit and does not mean that Clark will necessarily be a good coach in such circumstances.

However, from what I have seen of Clark I think he has a lot to offer in a coaching/managerial capacity.

A few if''s, but''s and maybe''s, but who knows.  IF we were to go on a bit of a run, I for one will be pleased that we have Clark on board.

[:)]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

1992, Newcastle struggling at the wrong end of the second division and on the verge of relegation, Keegan takes over as manager.  He keeps them up and the next season gets them promoted, and the rest is history as they say.

Taken from wiki -

"Later, Kevin Keegan returned to Tyneside to replace Osvaldo Ardiles as manager on a short term contract in 1992, taking what he claimed to be the only job that could tempt him back into football. United were struggling at the wrong end of Division Two; Sir John Hall had all but taken control of the club and he needed a minor miracle to stop Newcastle from tumbling into the Third Division for the first time in their history. Survival was confirmed by winning both of their final two league games, at home to Portsmouth and away to Leicester City, the latter to a last minute own goal, although as it transpired, Newcastle would have survived even if they had lost at Leicester.[6]

The 1992–93 season saw a dramatic turn around in the club''s fortunes. They won their first eleven league games before a 1–0 home defeat against Grimsby Town ended the run, two games short of the English league record of 13 consecutive wins. Playing an exciting brand of attacking football Newcastle became Division One champions with a 2–0 away win, coincidentally at Grimsby, and gained promotion to the Premier League."

You could draw comparisons with us, we were struggling at the wrong end of the table Roeder takes over and keeps us up.  The similarities may end there as during the summer KK had some money to spend and brought in some quality, and Newcastle had a fantastic start to the season. 

Who knows though, maybe we will have a bit of money in January and go on a bit of a run and clinch promotion.  If that were to happen Roeder would be getting all the plaudits, but Clark may have had more of a part to play in that than some people think.

Just because Clark experienced that does not necessarily mean it will translate to a benefit and does not mean that Clark will necessarily be a good coach in such circumstances.

However, from what I have seen of Clark I think he has a lot to offer in a coaching/managerial capacity.

A few if''s, but''s and maybe''s, but who knows.  IF we were to go on a bit of a run, I for one will be pleased that we have Clark on board.

[/quote]Norfolk if your gonna give an opinion at least give it a full and frank one, not some on the fence please the masses watered down version, you sound like your almost apologising for making such a statement. Maybe thats a comment on the state of this forum nowadays tho.I think that Clark and Roeder are a excellent partnership, 2 different styles, whether Clark is ready for management tho im not so sure.

[quote user="Barclayman artist formerly known as Barclayboy"]

Norfolk if your gonna give an opinion at least give it a full and frank one, not some on the fence please the masses watered down version, you sound like your almost apologising for making such a statement. Maybe thats a comment on the state of this forum nowadays tho.

[/quote]

Or alternatively, it is more of a comment that a well articulated and reasoned post in which a person expresses their thoughts as they actually are rather than adopting the extreme and blinkered posturing of so many posters gets criticised for it.

[quote user="Pboro_Canary"]

[quote user="Barclayman artist formerly known as Barclayboy"]

Norfolk if your gonna give an opinion at least give it a full and frank one, not some on the fence please the masses watered down version, you sound like your almost apologising for making such a statement. Maybe thats a comment on the state of this forum nowadays tho.

[/quote]

Or alternatively, it is more of a comment that a well articulated and reasoned post in which a person expresses their thoughts as they actually are rather than adopting the extreme and blinkered posturing of so many posters gets criticised for it.

[/quote]

Good post PC. Welcome to the beige side!

[quote user="Barclayman artist formerly known as Barclayboy"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Taken from wiki -

[/quote]

I think that Clark and Roeder are a excellent partnership, 2 different styles, whether Clark is ready for management tho im not so sure.
[/quote]

It wasn''t so much an opinion, more an observation and written as such.[;)]

Well just to keep you happy -

"Roeder is a useless tw@t, Clark will get us promoted!"

You''ve got to laugh. 

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Peter grant jumped about and ranted and raved on teh touchline when a coach.. what a  manager he made...

jas :)

[/quote]

Martin O''Neill rants and raves on the touchline, what a manager he is!

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Peter grant jumped about and ranted and raved on teh touchline when a coach.. what a  manager he made...

[/quote]

Martin O''Neill rants and raves on the touchline, what a manager he is!

[/quote]

sorry who''s assistant did he start off as?