Sign in to follow this  
Here We Go

Everyone's first game.

my mother usd to work for the football club in the 70s.went to every game untill mid 80s but i was to small to remember the first.i lived next to the ground and still remember duncan forbes used to walk to the ground before the games and he always said helo.he was my hero at the time.

[quote user="Strawberry"]

[quote user="Bring-on-Flecky"]This is really going to date me though I was only 8 years old. 1972 v Leeds, we lost 0-1. Billy Giles scored a fluke goal. He shot from outside the area straight at Keelan who for some reason did a backward head over heels and the ball trickled out of his hands into the back of the net. We had a goal disallowed for off-side and we dominated the game.[/quote]

Our Kev, he didn''t often make a ricket but when he did it was spectacular like everything else in his repertoire . . .

[/quote]

One of the first things that struck me about Norwich games was Keelan''s kicking style.I''m sure that he must have been a cheerleader in an earlier life! Fantastic keeper.

1981...I think...home vs Rotherham, won 2-0 (Deehan, Bertschin).

Rotherham had a tricky winger called Tony Towner who was supposedly going to tear us apart. Hmm. He obviously did.

[quote user="CanaryRyan"]

My first game was Norwich vs Stockport in about 99 i think, pretty sure we won 4-0!

[/quote]

we did.. God himself scored a hat trick (iwan Roberts)

jas :)

Bury at home in the league. It was on sky if i remember rightly and it was quite early on, possibly september. Was 0-0 and Bellamy missed a penalty, but I''d already left and can remember hearing the cheer as we got the penalty from quite a way away from the ground. I still seem to think that I''m quite young and new to football but really it was 10 years ago now! It''s quite hard to believe really...

I believe it was the 1988/89 season, my Grandad took me to see us play Southampton at Carrow Road. We sat in the old South Stand and if I remember correctly I think we won 1-0.

First top level football game was Spurs versus Chelsea  October 1972 as a Spurs supporter (living in that part of the world at the time), and saw a 1-0 win for Chelsea, and remember how really difficult it was to see the game in the packed stands despite climbing onto walls and hanging onto railings in the East Stand  as a lad in my early teens. It was quite a baptism and quite an intimidating place for a youngster in the company of a couple of similarly aged mates. This was at the height of the early skinhead era, where Spurs'' terrace fashion was Crombie coats or Black Harrington Jackets, Levi sta-prest trousers and Doc Martin boots, preferably calf length with trouser leg length adjusted to show off the boots. I was at the time a Spurs follower but moved a month later to North Norfolk.

I first saw Norwich against Spurs (still as a Spurs follower) October 1973 for the 1-1 draw at Carrow Road.  Stood in the corner area of the old Barclay that used to be given over to away fans. Didn''t get the chance to get to White Hart Lane much over the following years and gradually lost my attachment to Spurs. Didn''t start following City until 1975, on promotion back to the First Division (glory hunter!)and saw first home game of season versus Leeds Utd (1-1 draw), and then didn''t miss a home game all season. First away game as a City fan was the 2-2 draw against Derby County April 1977 at the old Baseball Ground.

I think it must''ve been around 86/87 sitting in the old south stand watching a cracking game between city and southampton that finished 4-4.  I was only 4 at the time so can''t really remember the scorers or anything, but just remember the atmosphere, and my dad sneaking me in through the turnstiles as he only had enough money for 1 ticket but wanted to take me along to my first game, so managed to get me in somehow.

We did this in February 2007.

Here is a copy of my reply

ricardo is not online. Last active: 08/09/2008 16:33:37 ricardo

Top 100 Posts
Joined on 26/12/2003
Trowse
Posts 1,953

Re: First Match

Reply Quote

Say Hello To The Angels wrote:

I was thinking back to the first time i ever saw city play it was against spurs in the league and we won 3-1 must have been around 1990 it was the only time i ever went in the barclay when it was terracing, i was only 9 or something.

Was just wondering what peoples first matches were and also just out of curiosity who is the longest standing supporter here? did anybody watch us as far back as the 50''s and what was it like compared to nowadays?

Yes I was there back in the 50''s. The first match I can really remember was at the tail end of the 53/54 season against Crystal Palace we won 5-1 and I was hooked for life. The centre forward was a guy called Johnny Summers he got a couple that day if memory serves. He later played for Charlton and once scored 5 goals in a 7-6 win against Huddersfield (they were losing 5-1 at half time!).

In those days it was all standing apart from the old main stand. The only covered area was the Barclay. I used to stand behind the goal at the River end with my dad and uncle. I think it was about 6d to get in for boys (thats 2.5p). If it rained only your head and shoulders got wet because it was nearly always a good crowd. On the South Stand (now Jarrold) side most of the terracing was made of railway sleepers. The south stand was also open to the sky until some time in the early sixties. If frost or snow was forecast they used to cover the pitch with straw and only clear it the morning of the match. I can remember one of those matches with snow piled all round the outside of the pitch. It was against Southend and we won 7-2. I think Johnny Gavin got 4 that day.

My other big memory of the 50''s is when the club came last in the old 3rd Division South and had to apply for re-election to the league. W enearly went bust that year. I think Kings Lynn lent us £500 to pay the wages at one stage and I also remeber people walking round the ground with big sheets and supporters throwing their odd change in to keep the club going.

It was a different game then. no substitutes allowed and very few bookings or sendings off. If someone got injured you just played on with 10 men or you put the injured person on the wing to carry on just for nuisance value.

Lots of things have changed since then and not all of them for the better.

OTBC

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="CanaryRyan"]

My first game was Norwich vs Stockport in about 99 i think, pretty sure we won 4-0!

[/quote]

we did.. God himself scored a hat trick (iwan Roberts)

[/quote]

Yes i remember now! The day after the game, my brother bought me a Iwan shirt :)

a wet sham game - probably in early 70''s - jimmy bone was playing i think - anyways i was only 5 or 6, and i shoved to the front behind tall railings in the old south stand,  in the corner where the away support now sit...great experience

94-95 Norwich - Liverpool at Carrow Road lost 2-1, I remember the chase out protests after the game and loads of people stood on a wall that collapsed, then saw us go down a week later at Leeds with that cheat Yeboah diving in the penalty area.

1992-93 When we beat Villa 1-0 with Polston scoring just after his kid had been born, we went top of the league, and everyone thought we would win it. Sat in the Upper River end, my Dad took me as a 12th birthday present,and I became hooked. I will always be greatful to my old man who took me to many city games over the next few years despite him being a Pompey fan!

79/80 season (the seaons of many draws!) v West Brom, at Carrow Road ended 2-2.  Sat in the old Family area of the South Stand with my dad, and watched the Baggies fans kick off big time when we equalized just before the final whistle. Got a City scarf that day which I still have. 

My first game was on Saturday 25th October 1975 aged 10 years versus Birmingham City. My Dad took me and me cousin. My cousin spent the match sitting on the terracing reading a book while I enjoyed seeing Ted MacDougall score the only goal of the game and Birmingham''s Joe Gallacher sent off.

I was a once a season fan then only seeing City when they visited my home team Middlesbrough. Three years later I wrote to Ken Brown assistant manager and he fixed it for me to meet the team when they played Boro in October 1978. It was a day I remember fondly to this day meeting my heroes, Peters, Paddon and Keelan to name a few. 

19-04-86

Norwich 1 Stoke 1 and we get back to the then promised land. I think it was Keith Birtchen with the goal. I still remember every one singing "hang your boots up Mick Mills".

Many occassional games with father in early 60''s.  First game remembered was 1-1 Millwall game when Dave Stringer got an og (poss on his debut).

Regular from Preston at home at start of 1967 season.  Then hooked as a Barclay boy through the late 60''s, 70''s and early 80''s.  Now still meet some of the same lads but in the Snakepit of course.  Seeing the Barclay like it is now breaks our hearts.

Beausent: v Cardiff eh? Remember Curran''s fantastic header from the edge of the box for one of the goals.  What a player that season being the Football Leagues leading scorer ''till he tried to be the big time Charlie at Wolves and wasted the rest of his career.

Plastic Scouser:  Could have been the day Col Utd beat Leeds in FA Cup when we came back from 2-0 down to beat Bristol City 3-2.  Manning and Anderson for us?  Cherry for them?

Hooleyfan:  Always had fun when Spurs came to the city and thanks to the internet still converse with one or two of their old boys.  Oct ''73 game I remember Dougie Livermore scoring late equaliser with his one and only header in citys colours!  Visits to White Hart Lane in the old Park Lane End in the 70''s with the shelf boys looking on was always interesting. 

Canary Ryan:  That game v Stockport was the start of the "full house" signs at CR.  People were turned away that night for a game which was seen as pivatol to the careers of Iwan, Paul McVeigh (who played "in the hole" as an experiment) and the club as think we were only a 3 or 4 points off the relegation places.  If I remember right we played Pompey on the Saturday and drew 0-0 (around 19,000 turned up?) and then after that we were full for majority of games.

Good memories from alot of the older supporters on this thread.

[quote user="BDCSid"]

Many occassional games with father in early 60''s.  First game remembered was 1-1 Millwall game when Dave Stringer got an og (poss on his debut).

Regular from Preston at home at start of 1967 season.  Then hooked as a Barclay boy through the late 60''s, 70''s and early 80''s.  Now still meet some of the same lads but in the Snakepit of course.  Seeing the Barclay like it is now breaks our hearts.

[/quote]

Sid throws down the gauntlet . . . take cover [:)]

[quote user="BarclayChuck"]I think my first game was a loss at home to

Oxford but I was so young I can''t remember the year or scoreline. [/quote]

I think that might have been my first game, think we lost 3-0... I was

about 15 or 16 (neither of my parents take an interest in footy so I

had to do it all myself)... Would have been 98, I think...

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="BarclayChuck"]I think my first game was a loss at home to Oxford but I was so young I can''t remember the year or scoreline.
[/quote]
I think that might have been my first game, think we lost 3-0... I was about 15 or 16 (neither of my parents take an interest in footy so I had to do it all myself)... Would have been 98, I think...
[/quote]

think that game was on sky... Dean windass scored for them... im sure he did!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="BarclayChuck"]I think my first game was a loss at home to Oxford but I was so young I can''t remember the year or scoreline.
[/quote]
I think that might have been my first game, think we lost 3-0... I was about 15 or 16 (neither of my parents take an interest in footy so I had to do it all myself)... Would have been 98, I think...
[/quote]

think that game was on sky... Dean windass scored for them... im sure he did!

[/quote]

It was and he did, remember  it pretty clearly.

My dad took me to my first game at Carrow Road and it was to watch Norwich play Notts Forest - it would have been either 1979-1980 i think.

He told me that he was taking me to watch the football and that i would get to see the england goalkeeper in action (Peter Shilton) unfortunately when the teams ran out onto the pitch there was no sign of Shilton so apparently i asked my dad if we could go home as i was gutted, i was only 5 at the time!

[quote user="BDCSid"]

Plastic Scouser:  Could have been the day Col Utd beat Leeds in FA Cup when we came back from 2-0 down to beat Bristol City 3-2.  Manning and Anderson for us?  Cherry for them?

Good memories from alot of the older supporters on this thread.

[/quote]

May well have been - always remember it as being a good game - which of course got me hooked immediately!

West Ham at home on boxing day 88. I would have been 8 at time and sporting my brand spanking new Fosters Lager replica shirt (which i still own!). We won 2-1, Disco Dale got the 1st from a frankly ridiculous angle at the River End. I think Townsend got the 2nd and Flecky had one ruled out for offside although it could have been the other way around. West Ham got one back from the spot.