Sign in to follow this  
pennywise

theo walcott

blimey he must have come on a bit last time i saw him at carrow road craig fleming had to let him out of his pocket to be substitued [:D]

Wish it had been on proper TV instead of that pay per view (or whatever it is) rubbish.

Fantastic performance from the boy ''Threeo'' - hope he can keep his place now.

I remember seeing his electrifying run nearly the whole length of the pitch at Anfield in the Champions League match last season, it was awseome - even better than Owen v Argies in the ''98 World Cup.  

Well done boy,................. not so well done to the TV companies, big money, again. We cant watch our national team unless we payinto, pay per view, I bet many of our kids dont even realise what a great result their national team had last night. Not good for the future of football in England. IMHO. 

[quote user="Sheva"]

Well done boy,................. not so well done to the TV companies, big money, again. We cant watch our national team unless we payinto, pay per view, I bet many of our kids dont even realise what a great result their national team had last night. Not good for the future of football in England. IMHO. 

[/quote]

And just as crappy is that Setanta wont share the footage with the BBC for a highlights show.  I will be buggered before I subscribe to yet another Sports channel....

[quote user="Sheva"]

[/quote]It''s not pay per view, it''s a subscription channel that is no different to SKY other than it is available on freeview.  I know for anyone that does not have Setanta that it''s annoying not being able to see the match but let''s not blame the TV companies.  They are a business and will look to make money, it''s what they do.  The real culprits here are the FA''s of Andorra and Croatia who have sold the rights to these games.  The English FA have no say in the matter.As to Walcott and the game.  It''s the best I have seen England play for a long-time.  Individual performances aside, it''s the best "team" showing I can remember from England in recent years and Walcott was the cherry on the cake.  What was great about it was how "English" we played.  All the talk in the media about us having to play the "international" way has gone out of the window for me.  It has taken an Italian to finally get our players playing like an "England" team.  It was great to see our players getting in Croatia''s faces, tackling, pressing and attacking at pace and Croatia did not like it one little bit, no nation will.  We have quality and a real work ethic and team spirit was on show last night and we were the best team when Croatia had 11 men and we dismantled them with 10.I would not get too carried away with England or Walcott just yet but if Capello can get England playing like that regularly, we might just have a "team" for once and one to be proud of.

[quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user="Sheva"]

[/quote]

It''s not pay per view, it''s a subscription channel that is no different to SKY other than it is available on freeview. 

I know for anyone that does not have Setanta that it''s annoying not being able to see the match but let''s not blame the TV companies.  They are a business and will look to make money, it''s what they do.  The real culprits here are the FA''s of Andorra and Croatia who have sold the rights to these games.  The English FA have no say in the matter.

As to Walcott and the game.  It''s the best I have seen England play for a long-time.  Individual performances aside, it''s the best "team" showing I can remember from England in recent years and Walcott was the cherry on the cake.  What was great about it was how "English" we played. 

All the talk in the media about us having to play the "international" way has gone out of the window for me.  It has taken an Italian to finally get our players playing like an "England" team.  It was great to see our players getting in Croatia''s faces, tackling, pressing and attacking at pace and Croatia did not like it one little bit, no nation will.  We have quality and a real work ethic and team spirit was on show last night and we were the best team when Croatia had 11 men and we dismantled them with 10.

I would not get too carried away with England or Walcott just yet but if Capello can get England playing like that regularly, we might just have a "team" for once and one to be proud of.
[/quote]

Fully agree,SC. The workrate was magnificent and it was good see Rooney show a bit of form at international level.After a shaky start Walcott scared the living daylights out of the Croatian back four,and the qaulity of his finishing adds substance to the suggestion that he will end up as a central striker.I was also delighted for Heskey,who did a great job with little support in the first half.

The thing that really interested me was Lampard''s performance.There has been much debate about Lampard and Gerrard being incompatible,but usually in the context of Lampard being left out of the side.I thought that Lampard looked really at home last night,and,in my view he was robbed of a brilliant goal by one of the referee''s few mistakes.Perhaps this will reopen the debate with a different slant and "Me,me Stevie G" might have a problem.

[quote user="ched seven"]blimey he must have come on a bit last time i saw him at carrow road craig fleming had to let him out of his pocket to be substitued [:D][/quote]

Like most Norwich fans, is the only football you see on a Saturday afternoon at Carrow Road?

Theo was barely 16 that day..

[/quote]

It''s not pay per view, it''s a subscription channel that is no different to SKY other than it is available on freeview. 

I know for anyone that does not have Setanta that it''s annoying not being able to see the match but let''s not blame the TV companies.  They are a business and will look to make money, it''s what they do.  The real culprits here are the FA''s of Andorra and Croatia who have sold the rights to these games.  The English FA have no say in the matter.

As to Walcott and the game.  It''s the best I have seen England play for a long-time.  Individual performances aside, it''s the best "team" showing I can remember from England in recent years and Walcott was the cherry on the cake.  What was great about it was how "English" we played. 

All the talk in the media about us having to play the "international" way has gone out of the window for me.  It has taken an Italian to finally get our players playing like an "England" team.  It was great to see our players getting in Croatia''s faces, tackling, pressing and attacking at pace and Croatia did not like it one little bit, no nation will.  We have quality and a real work ethic and team spirit was on show last night and we were the best team when Croatia had 11 men and we dismantled them with 10.

I would not get too carried away with England or Walcott just yet but if Capello can get England playing like that regularly, we might just have a "team" for once and one to be proud of.
[/quote]

Exactly. It''s hardly Setanta''s fault no-one wanted the England away games more than they did. As for not letting BBC show the highlights, if I ran a sports channel I''d do what I could to make it as exclusive as possible.

Compare the amount of times we lose possession with Gerrard and Beckham''s Hollywood long balls, with the amount of times we lost possession last night.

And lo, we keep possession, we win the damn game. Who''d a thunk! I hope people will begin to see the flaws in Gerrards high-speed, thunderous, bull-in-a-china-shop style. He''s a great player, but not a great team player.

Well I managed to watch it online and I think these pay-per-view companies are screwing us quite frankly... so i''m not going to mention anything to do with how I saw it online... and i''m glad to see these forums do not promote such programs as sopcast, or the search engines that you can search all football games on... for free. Give us back our national game!Like most people here I pay my TV Licence, and I at least expect to see England play! So yes... sopcast... google it lol.

[quote user="Mook"]

Compare the amount of times we lose possession with Gerrard and Beckham''s Hollywood long balls, with the amount of times we lost possession last night.

And lo, we keep possession, we win the damn game. Who''d a thunk! I hope people will begin to see the flaws in Gerrards high-speed, thunderous, bull-in-a-china-shop style. He''s a great player, but not a great team player.

[/quote]Agree about the Hollywood long balls Mook.  It appears the only people that couldn''t understand how many problems these caused us were the £150k-a-week pro footballers.  Even my wife would sit down to big matches and moan about long balls up to Rooney & Owen etc etc.  I would say that Lampard is also prone to the Hollywood long ball though and especially partial to the Hollywood long shot as well.  I am not a big fan of Lampard but thought he was OK last night because he kept it simple.  He just can''t reproduce that Chelsea form for England.  Personally I would leave out both Lampard and Gerrard for Barry and Hargreaves, who take care of the ball far better and see if either of them can win their place back.

[quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user="Mook"]

[/quote]

Agree about the Hollywood long balls Mook.  It appears the only people that couldn''t understand how many problems these caused us were the £150k-a-week pro footballers.  Even my wife would sit down to big matches and moan about long balls up to Rooney & Owen etc etc.  I would say that Lampard is also prone to the Hollywood long ball though and especially partial to the Hollywood long shot as well.  I am not a big fan of Lampard but thought he was OK last night because he kept it simple.  He just can''t reproduce that Chelsea form for England. 
Personally I would leave out both Lampard and Gerrard for Barry and Hargreaves, who take care of the ball far better and see if either of them can win their place back.
[/quote]

I agree with the sentiment, but Fat Frank had a great game last night and had a goal (finally!) wrongly ruled out. He was passing well, getting into good positions and was influential. I suggest there''s the benchmark, and now whoever wants their place back can bloody well fight for it.

I also think that Capello is having a big influence on the style of play. Without a player on the shoulder of the last man, there were very few long balls played. If Gerrard can notice this, and not try to force the play to suit his style, I''d love to have him back in the team. If not, see ya Stevie!

[quote user="Saint Canary"]

[/quote]

exactly, Setanta is no different to sky sports

What was great about it was how "English" we played. All the talk in the media about us having to play the "international" way has gone out of the window for me.  It has taken an Italian to finally get our players playing like an "England" team. 

[/quote]

I''m not convinced that''s really true to be honest. I can''t find the possession stats from last night but I definitely read somewhere this morning that they were an awful lot higher than anything seen during McClarens days as Englands manager. The same was apparently true in the games against France and Czech Republic. I wouldn''t consider patience on the ball, a large amount of possession and breaking quickly on the counter attack to be particularly ''English''. Yes we pressed high up the pitch and put the Croatian defenders and midfielders under pressure when they had the ball but I would say that is typical of the modern game in general rather than being peculiar to the English.

All in all it was an excellent performance though and Walcott was particularly impressive. Agree with the general consensus of it being a pain having the games on Setenta though. Spent most of the night moving from live stream to live stream via some fairly disgusting p*rn that somebody thought it would be hilarious to redirect me to!

[/quote]

[/quote]

until the usual 2nd round penalty shoot out exit and Capellos head appearing on a turnip in the sun...

jas :)

my problem with this setanta, sky thingy is that not so long ago all England matches were free, as were Premier League matches

Sky then come in, take it away from us, and sell it back for a monthly contract

then Sky decide some games should be pay per view, so something that was free now costs a monthly contract AND pay per view fee

then Setanta come along offering seperate pay per view (i know it lasts a month but same diff), so if you want to watch everything then - something that was free now costs a monthly contract with Sky AND pay per view on Sky AND pay per view on Setanta

why is it that every step of the way our wallets are being shafted!?

forget capping player wages, just revert to the rule that at least all international and most Premier League should be available on free tv (remembering that ''free tv'' costs a TV Licence)

[quote user="San Miguel"]

my problem with this setanta, sky thingy is that not so long ago all England matches were free, as were Premier League matches

Sky then come in, take it away from us, and sell it back for a monthly contract

then Sky decide some games should be pay per view, so something that was free now costs a monthly contract AND pay per view fee

then Setanta come along offering seperate pay per view (i know it lasts a month but same diff), so if you want to watch everything then - something that was free now costs a monthly contract with Sky AND pay per view on Sky AND pay per view on Setanta

why is it that every step of the way our wallets are being shafted!?

forget capping player wages, just revert to the rule that at least all international and most Premier League should be available on free tv (remembering that ''free tv'' costs a TV Licence)

[/quote]

Who owns the Television rights when the Bidding takes place? Is it the FA or the Football league and Premier league?

In the NFL the League itself (the National Football League of America) Owns the broadcast rights to every single match played over the course of a season... they then "Percentage" these off the the TV companies who pay for the priviledge... whether or not they recover this loss through cable subscriptions or through Advertising is another matter and not one for debate here.

I''d love to see this done over here! Take the premiership for example.. 25% of games on SKy, Setanta, the Beeb and ITV... The companies have no choice what games they show but are guarenteed 25% with the league to share the games out fairly....

jas :)

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

What was great about it was how "English" we played. All the talk in the media about us having to play the "international" way has gone out of the window for me.  It has taken an Italian to finally get our players playing like an "England" team. 

[/quote]

I''m not convinced that''s really true to be honest. I can''t find the possession stats from last night but I definitely read somewhere this morning that they were an awful lot higher than anything seen during McClarens days as Englands manager. The same was apparently true in the games against France and Czech Republic. I wouldn''t consider patience on the ball, a large amount of possession and breaking quickly on the counter attack to be particularly ''English''. Yes we pressed high up the pitch and put the Croatian defenders and midfielders under pressure when they had the ball but I would say that is typical of the modern game in general rather than being peculiar to the English.

All in all it was an excellent performance though and Walcott was particularly impressive. Agree with the general consensus of it being a pain having the games on Setenta though. Spent most of the night moving from live stream to live stream via some fairly disgusting p*rn that somebody thought it would be hilarious to redirect me to!

[/quote]

Thouroughly agree, Shack. I don''t think that was an English performance at all. My reasons -

1, We didn''t play long balls for a quick striker to chase
2, We tried to keep possession at the risk of not "pushing" for a goal, and instead waited for the occassion to arise. Which it did.
3, We came out 1-0 up at half time and didn''t immediately revert to defending, hoofs, panicking and waiting on the edge of the box for their attacks etc etc
4, We didn''t play 4-4-2 and it worked.
5, Joe Cole actually got substituted, rather than coming on with a bandage to play the hard-as-nails hero!

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[/quote]

I agree with you,Shack. One of the things that struck me we was how often we passed the ball out of defence rather than lumping it at Heskey''s head.We also showed a lot more patience and intricacy in our build up on the flanks. Neither of these things were features of McLaren''s,or even Erikkson''s England sides.We also used the full width of the pitch much  more effectively,particularly when they were down to 10, but the most important thing was that we were playing what we saw( the ultimate example being the build up for Walcott''s second) rather than trying fancy turns and drag backs.Percentage football, maybe, but very effective.

[quote user="Mr. Bump"][quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user="Sheva"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Exactly. It''s hardly Setanta''s fault no-one wanted the England away games more than they did. As for not letting BBC show the highlights, if I ran a sports channel I''d do what I could to make it as exclusive as possible.

[/quote]

Cant personally see what they would lose, big tasty banner locked into the footage saying courtesy of Setanta and in my eyes they win favour.  It allows those that cant afford it to see the extended highlights free long after the ''Live'' game and creates awareness of the Setanta brand in the process.

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="Shack Attack"]

[quote user="Saint Canary"]What was great about it was how "English" we played. All the talk in the media about us having to play the "international" way has gone out of the window for me.  It has taken an Italian to finally get our players playing like an "England" team. 

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thouroughly agree, Shack. I don''t think that was an English performance at all. My reasons -

1, We didn''t play long balls for a quick striker to chase2, We tried to keep possession at the risk of not "pushing" for a goal, and instead waited for the occassion to arise. Which it did.3, We came out 1-0 up at half time and didn''t immediately revert to defending, hoofs, panicking and waiting on the edge of the box for their attacks etc etc4, We didn''t play 4-4-2 and it worked.5, Joe Cole actually got substituted, rather than coming on with a bandage to play the hard-as-nails hero!

[/quote]Fair points Mook.  I suppose my idea of English football was formed during the 1990 World Cup where we didn''t play a big man or hoofball or 4-4-2.  We did however bandage people up.  To clarify though, by English I was refering to the work-rate, team spirit etc rather than the lethargy and poncing about trying to be a superstar all the time we have been used to over recent years.Appparently we had 62% possession last night, what would be more interesting would be the 11 vs 11 stat on that.  What was really nice to see though was that we had a pass completion rate of 86% which shows we played precise passing football.

[quote user="Larry David"]

[quote user="ched seven"]blimey he must have come on a bit last time i saw him at carrow road craig fleming had to let him out of his pocket to be substitued [:D][/quote]

Like most Norwich fans, is the only football you see on a Saturday afternoon at Carrow Road?

Theo was barely 16 that day..

[/quote]

so what ? if your good enough your old enough [;)] and old craig showed him who was boss that snowy afternoon, anyway  it was meant to be a bit of light hearted praise for the boy, whats your problem  exactly ?  i do hate these superior  up themselves  beings othat frequent  message boards who have to analyse and pick apart every ironic statement made .

Have to agree the lad Walcott certainly came of age last night, good all round team effort too, hope it stays that way. Winced a bit when Joe Cole went down like a sack of spuds just after getting clobbered, looked very serious at time.

Watched the game live via my satellite system on a German tv channel,[:D] having previously watched Russia v Wales and Finland v Germany. All followed each other on the same channel, thats how to do sports broadcasting!!! all free too, and good quality picture, just wish I could understand German apart from dumkopf.[:P]

[quote user="San Miguel"]

so if you want to watch everything then - something that was free now costs a monthly contract with Sky AND pay per view on Sky AND pay per view on Setanta

[/quote]Being pedantic here, but there is no more PPV football on Sky. Prem Plus was scrapped as soon as Setanta came along and nicked the games that were being shown on there.