Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

'Big shot' philantropist with a 2 year horizon.

Check this for an insight into the mind of Peter Cullum.

You''ll find it interesting.

From

February 25, 2008

Big shot: Peter Cullum

Peter Cullum may owe his former wife another vote of thanks. For more than a year, there has been speculation that the 57-year-old plans to sell a chunk of Towergate, his insurance empire, to a private equity firm in a deal valuing the business in the region of £3billion. In this weekend''s version of the story, Mr Cullum is in talks to sell a 25percent stake in the company to Candover, the buyout firm.

If the deal does (at long last) happen, it could net a cool £850million for Mr Cullum, who owns 70 percent of Towergate, an insurance broking and intermediary business that he founded ten years ago, and his management team. Thus another vote of thanks for his former wife, whose existence, he likes to joke, necessitated setting up the business in the first place.

Crowned the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year in 2005 and the Deal Maker of the Year at the M&A Awards last year, Mr Cullum is the deal junky''s deal junky. He built Towergate out of more than 120 acquisitions of regional brokers and underwriting agencies and now employs more than 3,500 staff across 100 offices.

Yet despite his love of the thrill of the chase, Mr Cullum says that, unlike Warren Buffett, he has no intention of sticking around for ever and probably will set his departure date in the next couple of years. After leaving Towergate, he will concentrate on his charitable trust, which is run by his two daughters and focuses on children''s charities

Last year he paid half of his £9.2million bonus into the trust. A deal with Candover could mean another boost. Mr Cullum says: “I will give away hundreds of millions because my children do not need it. Philanthropy to me is real and I want to use my wealth to make a difference".

Now if you have the capacity to be analytical try making some deductions from this evidence without emotions getting in the way.

OTBC

The Candover deal subsequently collapsed though.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2008/03/30/cncull130.xml

As far as I know it has not been resurrected and as we are currently hurtling into a possibly lengthy recession this may not be the moment.

Along with every member of this message board, a lengthy recession will also hurt Mr Cullum as well as every football club.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

The Candover deal subsequently collapsed though.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2008/03/30/cncull130.xml

As far as I know it has not been resurrected and as we are currently hurtling into a possibly lengthy recession this may not be the moment.

Along with every member of this message board, a lengthy recession will also hurt Mr Cullum as well as every football club.

[/quote]

Well, if we''ll all be in the same boat - members, Cullum, clubs - one fundamental question to be asked is will the shape of the playing field be changed.

All I know is that different opportunities and threats will arise.

Who will be ''cleverer than the rest''? Mr Chairman - is NCFC on track?

Interesting times. 

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

From

February 25, 2008

Peter Cullum may owe his former wife another vote of thanks. For more than a year, there has been speculation that the 57-year-old plans to sell a chunk of Towergate, his insurance empire, to a private equity firm in a deal valuing the business in the region of £3billion. In this weekend''s version of the story, Mr Cullum is in talks to sell a 25percent stake in the company to Candover, the buyout firm.

If the deal does (at long last) happen, it could net a cool £850million for Mr Cullum, who owns 70 percent of Towergate, an insurance broking and intermediary business that he founded ten years ago, and his management team. Thus another vote of thanks for his former wife, whose existence, he likes to joke, necessitated setting up the business in the first place.

Crowned the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year in 2005 and the Deal Maker of the Year at the M&A Awards last year, Mr Cullum is the deal junky''s deal junky. He built Towergate out of more than 120 acquisitions of regional brokers and underwriting agencies and now employs more than 3,500 staff across 100 offices.

Yet despite his love of the thrill of the chase, Mr Cullum says that, unlike Warren Buffett, he has no intention of sticking around for ever and probably will set his departure date in the next couple of years. After leaving Towergate, he will concentrate on his charitable trust, which is run by his two daughters and focuses on children''s charities

Last year he paid half of his £9.2million bonus into the trust. A deal with Candover could mean another boost. Mr Cullum says: “I will give away hundreds of millions because my children do not need it. Philanthropy to me is real and I want to use my wealth to make a difference".

Now if you have the capacity to be analytical try making some deductions from this evidence without emotions getting in the way.

OTBC

[/quote]

Thanks for highlighting the parts I need to focus on in making my emotion free deductions. [:)]

Perhaps you should change you hobby Bly. Instead of googling, why not try bugling? Instead of your normal dreary dirge, you may be able to lighten up with a bit of practice, a bit of Bob Marley perhaps?

Just imagine, bugling round the island with all the locals happily following, you''d feel a bit like the pied piper.

[quote user="lappinitup"]

Perhaps you should change you hobby Bly. Instead of googling, why not try bugling? Instead of your normal dreary dirge, you may be able to lighten up with a bit of practice, a bit of Bob Marley perhaps?

Just imagine, bugling round the island with all the locals happily following, you''d feel a bit like the pied piper.

[/quote]

Well, well, well. An unreconstructed Norfolk dumpling.

You should try googling. It will open up your blinkered world.

Is it completely beyond you to try some analysis of the current brouhaha at City from the contents of the Times article provided? Or do you just live through your rear?

Dear oh dear. 

OTBC 

[quote]Is it completely beyond you to try some analysis of the current brouhaha at City from the contents of the Times article provided? Or do you just live through your rear?[/quote]

Er, let''s see - rich man on paper might become rich man.  But not yet.

Is that it or have I missed something ?

[quote user="macdougalls perm"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

From

February 25, 2008

OTBC

[/quote]

Thanks for highlighting the parts I need to focus on in making my emotion free deductions. [:)]

[/quote]

You''re most welcome macd.

You through yet - or you need more time?

[;)]

OTBC

From

February 25, 2008

OTBC

[/quote]

Got it! He''s the result of an illicit liason between Gordon Gecko and Mother Theresa!

Bly wrote: "Now if you have the capacity to be analytical try making some deductions from this evidence without emotions getting in the way."

Bly, as has been pointed out to you, this is old information. However, since you felt the need to share it why don''t you also share what deductions you have made from this "evidence" and I''ll let you know if I agree with you ( I really will, without emotions or anything else getting in the way ).

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="lappinitup"]

[/quote]

Is it completely beyond you to try some analysis of the current brouhaha at City from the contents of the Times article provided? Or do you just live through your rear?

Dear oh dear. 

OTBC [/quote]Bly, you are more slippery than any eel ever caught in the Norfolk Broads. You ask us to Analyse Peter Cullum from an old newspaper clip. The obvious conclusion is that he has more money than he''ll ever need which prompts the question.......

Why did he make such a meagre offer to NCFC?

From

February 25, 2008

OTBC

[/quote]That last sentance comes with an addendum: Please do this because I lack the capacity myself. signed Bly.I like the green sentance and how you have tried to get people to ignore it.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

Bly wrote: "Now if you have the capacity to be analytical try making some deductions from this evidence without emotions getting in the way."

Bly, as has been pointed out to you, this is old information. However, since you felt the need to share it why don''t you also share what deductions you have made from this "evidence" and I''ll let you know if I agree with you ( I really will, without emotions or anything else getting in the way ).

[/quote]

If this information has been provided before on this board, should I apologise?

Your email is ''old'' now too. So what?

What matters is the relevance of this information in light of current conundrums, how many posters have seen this information before etc.

One preliminary deduction to be made is that it starts to demystify the ''Cullum the devil'' myth being carefully cultivated and starts give lie to some of the the disinformation being prostituted around about this ''dark satan''. Unless of course one is of the view that The Times journalist was stitched up by that conniving Cullum PR juggernaut.

That''s just a starter.

OTBC 

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="lappinitup"]

[/quote]

Dear oh dear. 

OTBC [/quote]Bly, you are more slippery than any eel ever caught in the Norfolk Broads. You ask us to Analyse Peter Cullum from an old newspaper clip. The obvious conclusion is that he has more money than he''ll ever need which prompts the question.......

[/quote]

Ok. A couple of clues for you.

Amongst other things he ''loves the thrill of the chase'' and ''making deals''.

He is also obviously au fait with the ways of high maintenance wives.

Need any more clues?

OTBC

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="lappinitup"]

[/quote]

Dear oh dear. 

[/quote]

Need any more clues?

OTBC

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote]Is it completely beyond you to try some analysis of the current brouhaha at City from the contents of the Times article provided? Or do you just live through your rear?[/quote]

Er, let''s see - rich man on paper might become rich man.  But not yet.

Is that it or have I missed something ?

[/quote]

Yes.

And you know it.

OTBC

From

February 25, 2008

OTBC

[/quote]OK Bly, here goes an honest attempt (and this is something that can apply to Delia too). PC is clearly a man of deep moral convictions and wants to improve the lives of those less fortunate than himself. So if he sees the value of philanthropy, he may find himself thinking "Hmmm... I have twenty million going spare. Now, I could invest it in a middle ranking Championship team, who might then become if lucky a middle ranking Premiership team. The ride would be enjoyable, and it would make tens if not hundreds of thousands of people happy - but then history shows that they could end up exactly where they are now and I''d be down £20 million. Or, I could use it to better the lives of people struggling with poverty, disability or other difficulties and make a real difference to many people who otherwise are probably condemned to a miserable existence."Better hope he''s not too much a philanthropist eh?

[quote user="7rew"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

From

February 25, 2008

OTBC

[/quote]

That last sentance comes with an addendum: Please do this because I lack the capacity myself. signed Bly.

I like the green sentance and how you have tried to get people to ignore it.
[/quote]

Green sentance?

Looks like you need Computer 101 as well as Spelling 101,

Dear oh dear oh dear.

OTBC

[quote user="macdougalls perm"]Nearly there but my finger keeps slipping from the screen. Keep losing my place. [:)] [/quote]

There, there macd. Don''t panic.[+o(]

Be patient. It will all come in good time.[A]

[;)]

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

What matters is the relevance of this information in light of current conundrums, how many posters have seen this information before etc.

One preliminary deduction to be made is that it starts to demystify the ''Cullum the devil'' myth being carefully cultivated and starts give lie to some of the the disinformation being prostituted around about this ''dark satan''. Unless of course one is of the view that The Times journalist was stitched up by that conniving Cullum PR juggernaut.

That''s just a starter.

OTBC 

[/quote]

I don''t read the times, nor do I have all day to scour Google or news archives.  I have never seen this article before, so thanks for bringing it to light.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

That''s just a starter.

OTBC 

[/quote]

No emotion from me Bly....just the facts.

• This article, which I read at the time ( as did many other posters because they commented upon it ) is now more than 6 months old. As opposed to being insightful, which is the word you used, highlighting the  article now, as you are doing, is misleading because it provides a message of what Peter Cullum will do as a result of events cited in the article, selling a large stake in his company, which we now know never came to pass. So the article is not only old but the premise of it is without foundation.
  • What the article does is attempt to elevate Peter Cullum''s reputation by speaking of what he will do in a futuristic sense. He may well do this in the future, however, my experience of philanthropists is that those, whose intentions are for the good of others, take action first and allow their actions to do the talking for them. Most of the good ones don''t want publicity. Presumably this article was not written without the input of Mr. Cullum due to the less than complimentary reference toward his former wife ( as he likes to joke ). 
  • With respect to your response to me, I am not aware of posters referring to Mr. Cullum as "the devil or dark satan", but perhaps I have missed that. Could you point out who made such a reference please and whether others supported such a view.
  • Speaking for myself, I have always said that Cullum needs to clarify what his motives are for NCFC. This should be a requirement irrespective of how the dealings between him and the current majority owners have transpired. I have previously stated if he wished to present the best intentions to all Norwich fans he could have simply made a formal and fair offer for the club and, if he was rejected, he could have then taken his case to the media outlining the details of his formal offer along with his vision and commitment for the club''s future. The fact that he did none of these things undoubtedly caused a lot of thinking fans to question his motives. Nothing more, nothing less. It does not make him the devil incarnate, neither does it put him into the category of Mother Theresa. 

Now, moving away from the facts as I know them, and back to your reason for this thread. I suspect that your motivation Bly was, as in so many of your threads ( and there are so many...way too many ), that you offer up something you came lately to as an appetizer but, once again, with no meat and potatoes to follow. As you say, you offered a starter. Do you have anything else?

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

That''s just a starter.

OTBC 

[/quote]

No emotion from me Bly....just the facts.

• This article, which I read at the time ( as did many other posters because they commented upon it ) is now more than 6 months old. As opposed to being insightful, which is the word you used, highlighting the  article now, as you are doing, is misleading because it provides a message of what Peter Cullum will do as a result of events cited in the article, selling a large stake in his company, which we now know never came to pass. So the article is not only old but the premise of it is without foundation.

• What the article does is attempt to elevate Peter Cullum''s reputation by speaking of what he will do in a futuristic sense. He may well do this in the future, however, my experience of philanthropists is that those, whose intentions are for the good of others, take action first and allow their actions to do the talking for them. Most of the good ones don''t want publicity. Presumably this article was not written without the input of Mr. Cullum due to the less than complimentary reference toward his former wife ( as he likes to joke ). 

• With respect to your response to me, I am not aware of posters referring to Mr. Cullum as "the devil or dark satan", but perhaps I have missed that. Could you point out who made such a reference please and whether others supported such a view.

• Speaking for myself, I have always said that Cullum needs to clarify what his motives are for NCFC. This should be a requirement irrespective of how the dealings between him and the current majority owners have transpired. I have previously stated if he wished to present the best intentions to all Norwich fans he could have simply made a formal and fair offer for the club and, if he was rejected, he could have then taken his case to the media outlining the details of his formal offer along with his vision and commitment for the club''s future. The fact that he did none of these things undoubtedly caused a lot of thinking fans to question his motives. Nothing more, nothing less. It does not make him the devil incarnate, neither does it put him into the category of Mother Theresa. 

Now, moving away from the facts as I know them, and back to your reason for this thread. I suspect that your motivation Bly was, as in so many of your threads ( and there are so many...way too many ), that you offer up something you came lately to as an appetizer but, once again, with no meat and potatoes to follow. As you say, you offered a starter. Do you have anything else?

[/quote]

Grits....

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="lappinitup"]

[/quote]

Dear oh dear. 

[/quote]

Need any more clues?

OTBC

''loves the thrill of the chase''  Something to do with Robert, right?

''making deals'' Squeal? He plans to marry Delia? (High Maintenance Wife?) Perhaps that''s why there was no formal offer?

OK, Bly, we give up. What''s the answer.

[/quote]

[quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

From

February 25, 2008

OTBC

[/quote]

OK Bly, here goes an honest attempt (and this is something that can apply to Delia too).

PC is clearly a man of deep moral convictions and wants to improve the lives of those less fortunate than himself. So if he sees the value of philanthropy, he may find himself thinking "Hmmm... I have twenty million going spare. Now, I could invest it in a middle ranking Championship team, who might then become if lucky a middle ranking Premiership team. The ride would be enjoyable, and it would make tens if not hundreds of thousands of people happy - but then history shows that they could end up exactly where they are now and I''d be down £20 million. Or, I could use it to better the lives of people struggling with poverty, disability or other difficulties and make a real difference to many people who otherwise are probably condemned to a miserable existence."

Better hope he''s not too much a philanthropist eh?
[/quote]

So you think that he must give away all he doesn''t need to charity?

Couldn''t he keep around 100m or so of what he doesn''t really need to pursue an exciting hobby full of the thrill of the chase and deal making after retiring?

And now there''s another ''difficult'' woman to contend with. Fascinating.

I''m sure that it would give almost any Norfolk lad a big thrill to be in a position to give the city he grew up in and played for as a boy the opportunity to become a consistent outperformer again.

We must be careful of inducing an Animal Farm situation which some yellow journalists are attempting in support of the Holy one. You know: Rich man bad, poor woman good.

Note his timeframe. He will need to get his hobby in place and up and running (just like the charity) so he doesn''t suffer withdrawal symptoms on retirement.

Good planning, I''d say.

And Nuffy  - sarcasm will never win you this argument, only cheap popularity from the usual suspects.

(See macd, I''ve responded. Your turn now.) 

OTBC

Oh I see the game now. It''s guess your skewed interpretation of the article. Ah .... and there was me thinking that you genuinely wanted peoples thoughts on it.

Let''s all get into the mantra then ... ''Rich man good, poor woman bad

Rich man good, poor woman bad

Rich man good, poor woman bad .... ad nauseum ...

Is that Orwellian enough for you?  

I must admit I''m a bit surprised at your unquestioning deference to the glamour of wealth ... thought you had a bit more about you than that. 

[quote user="macdougalls perm"]

Oh I see the game now. It''s guess your skewed interpretation of the article. Ah .... and there was me thinking that you genuinely wanted peoples thoughts on it.

Let''s all get into the mantra then ... ''Rich man good, poor woman bad

Rich man good, poor woman bad

Rich man good, poor woman bad .... ad nauseum ...

Is that Orwellian enough for you?  

I must admit I''m a bit surprised at your unquestioning deference to the glamour of wealth ... thought you had a bit more about you than that. 

[/quote]

I took up your challenge to respond to Nuffy''s input.

He has thoughts apparently.

I don''t have an interpretation apparently; but I have a skewed interpretation - according to you.

I applied my intellect to outline a possible scenario that could explain Cullum''s actions thus far in the context of the information in the article. That''s all.

I hold no brief for Cullum. I hold no brief for Smith and Jones.

But yes, it does appear to me that Cullum is being smeared in the media and damne with faint praise, whilst Smith & Jones are accorded the usual unearned bouquets. 

And yes, it is my view that Cullum is being unfairly treated because he''s rich - and Smith and Jones being given a light ride because they are perceived as a result of clever PR as of the common people, religious, community-orientated - and nice and ordinary.

I defer neither to ''the glamour of wealth'' nor to ''the tyranny and ...... of the lumpen.

I presume that you think that to be ''rich'' or ''powerful'' or ''........'' is rather infra-dig.

Is anybody attacking you for pottering around in your beige cardigan and hornrims in your backyard (in Cambridge is it?) collecting money for the flood victims in Haiti and bewailing the melting og our icecaps? No I didn''t think so.

If we were all rich the world would be a miserable place. If we were all poor the world would be a miserable place. Variety is the spice of life - and what drives on humankind.

Ole, ole, ole!

One love,

To the world!

And on to Plymouth. [6]

OTBC  

My only point was that Nuff Said simply offered his thoughts, he didn''t ''pose'' them as some enigmatic riddle to be ''solved'' by the plebs.

Anyway, to raise the tone of this debate: I know you are but what am I? [:D]

On to Plymouth, as you say, and I hope you have a nice weekend! [Y]

Now ... where are those horn-rimmed specs ...