Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

Internet Explorer 8.0?

[quote user="shyster"]Never, ever use IE - get shot of it and download mozilla firefox.
[/quote]

all web browsers do Exactly the same thing....it doest matter which one you use

jas :)

[quote user="shyster"]In my experience I had loads of trouble with IE., but none with Firefox.[/quote]Agreed, I had three seperate recurring issues with IE, no problems with Firefox so far.

What makes other browsers better than IE at protecting vs. spyware

and other attacks? Well, it’s simple really - most other browsers don’t

make it so easy to install malicious software

on your system without you knowing about it. IE makes it relatively

trivial through two features called ActiveX and Active Scripting. These

technologies were designed specifically for the purpose of giving Web

sites more control over a user’s computer. Unfortunately, as we have

seen with exploit after exploit - that’s not always a good thing.

In addition to the spyware issues, IE in general has had a terrible

track record when it comes to all types of serious security issues. For

years now, it’s seemed like every time you turn around there is a new

way to have your computer taken over via Internet Explorer. Put

“internet explorer” and “allow an attacker to execute commands” (with

the quotes) into Google and you’ll see what I mean.

[quote user="shyster"]

What makes other browsers better than IE at protecting vs. spyware and other attacks? Well, it’s simple really - most other browsers don’t make it so easy to install malicious software on your system without you knowing about it. IE makes it relatively trivial through two features called ActiveX and Active Scripting. These technologies were designed specifically for the purpose of giving Web sites more control over a user’s computer. Unfortunately, as we have seen with exploit after exploit - that’s not always a good thing.

In addition to the spyware issues, IE in general has had a terrible track record when it comes to all types of serious security issues. For years now, it’s seemed like every time you turn around there is a new way to have your computer taken over via Internet Explorer. Put “internet explorer” and “allow an attacker to execute commands” (with the quotes) into Google and you’ll see what I mean.

[/quote]

thats what an internet security software package is for Shyster.. not having one is like going out and leaving your doors wide open.

[quote user="shyster"]

What makes other browsers better than IE at protecting vs. spyware and other attacks? Well, it’s simple really - most other browsers don’t make it so easy to install malicious software on your system without you knowing about it. IE makes it relatively trivial through two features called ActiveX and Active Scripting. These technologies were designed specifically for the purpose of giving Web sites more control over a user’s computer. Unfortunately, as we have seen with exploit after exploit - that’s not always a good thing.

In addition to the spyware issues, IE in general has had a terrible track record when it comes to all types of serious security issues. For years now, it’s seemed like every time you turn around there is a new way to have your computer taken over via Internet Explorer. Put “internet explorer” and “allow an attacker to execute commands” (with the quotes) into Google and you’ll see what I mean.

[/quote]

You obviously haven''t used IE since XP SP2 then - IE runs in a sandbox "protected mode" ensuring nothing can harm your PC outside of your web browser. In any case, nothing should go wrong, as IE (especially in Windows Vista) is now very secure and won''t do anything that could lead to problems without asking for your permission, such as opening a pop-up or running a script.

Jas is correct in that it doesn''t matter which browser you use - they all do the same thing, although some of the newcomers do not meet modern standards.

Anyway, is IE 8 even out of Beta yet?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]Nice try.

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

Nice try.
[/quote]

ok then smart arse what do they do?

[quote user="shyster"]Never, ever use IE - get shot of it and download mozilla firefox.[/quote]

[/quote]As somone who is supposed to use IE 6 at work as the IT department don''t want us to upgrade I would beg to differ. Even with IE 8, Firefox is far superior.

I had an issue where I would ask it to open in a new tab, and it would just endlessly create more and more new tabs, so had to restart. Had an issue where a toolbar would randomly go missing and you wouldnt be able to right click (Very strange), and its just a lot slower compared to firefox for me personally. Can only speak for myself, each to their own.

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

Nice try.
[/quote]

ahem!

[quote]

Jas is correct in that it doesn''t matter which browser you use - they all do the same thing, although some of the newcomers do not meet modern standards.[/quote]

[quote user="Canary Boy"]CanariesWorld only works wit the Internet Explorer doesn''t it?[/quote]That certainly used to be the case but I''ve just tried it and it works fine- seems to start up quicker too.

While we''re on the subject  of Canaries World it says they''ve had 2 shots on target and we''ve had one??? Does hitting the crossbar count as off target?

[quote user="Nuff Said"]While we''re on the subject  of Canaries World it says they''ve had 2 shots on target and we''ve had one??? Does hitting the crossbar count as off target?
[/quote]

i suppose it does if it bounces out/back into play

With respect you and Jas are talking total twaddle.  Obviously you have never done web development as you will know that the list of protocols that every other browser EXCEPT IE supports is almost endless - so workarounds to get websites viewing correctly and working correctly in IE mean a lot more opportunity for exploits....[quote user="alex_ncfc"][quote user="shyster"]

[/quote]

You obviously haven''t used IE since XP SP2 then - IE runs in a sandbox "protected mode" ensuring nothing can harm your PC outside of your web browser. In any case, nothing should go wrong, as IE (especially in Windows Vista) is now very secure and won''t do anything that could lead to problems without asking for your permission, such as opening a pop-up or running a script.

Jas is correct in that it doesn''t matter which browser you use - they all do the same thing, although some of the newcomers do not meet modern standards.

Anyway, is IE 8 even out of Beta yet?

[/quote]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="I.S."][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

Nice try.
[/quote]

ahem!

[quote]

Jas is correct in that it doesn''t matter which browser you use - they all do the same thing, although some of the newcomers do not meet modern standards.[/quote]

[/quote]

Err... I think you need to read and understand this

http://www.netmechanic.com/products/Browser-Tutorial.shtml

Different browsers vary considerably.

Or a simple google search on browser compatibility will reveal your ignorance on the subject.

Also it must be remembered that ie8 is still only in its beta stage to try to iron out any incompatibilities.

I must point out that I am using ie8 to reply in this thread and the above is an indication of using a browser that is still in beat testing as it appears that the quote functi on this forum did not work properly.

Put it this way  - My laptop, far more use of the internet and use firefoxSisters laptop, less internet use but uses IE7Same internet security and everything, i used a spyware checker and found 3 pieces of relatively unmalicious spyware.Used the same spyware checker on my sisters laptop and found 50+ pieces including trojans and other such nasties.you do the math.

Did you turn the pop up blocker off?? Sounds simple but that was problem I had when i got the new internet explorer. The pop up blocker blocks it!

Should work fine mate. Works fine on mine.

If the match console in Canaries World doesn''t load (personally I have never used it) then you can just goto the Canaries World menu, select Audio Commentary, and then choose the appropriate stream. It will then play in Media Player. So much easier.

[quote user="Canary Boy"]Just upgraded to Internet Explorer 8.0 but cannot get CanariesWorld Commentary. Has anyone else had this issue?[/quote]

I had the same problem Canary Boy, but I solved it by going to my windows media player (make it your default player) access the libary tab there and set the modem setting to the highest level, that got Canaries World working superbly for me.

I trust you do subscribe?

Best of luck.

[quote user="shyster"]Never, ever use IE - get shot of it and download mozilla firefox.[/quote]

[/quote]I''m sorry that is just one of the most incorrect things I have ever

heard. There are numerous campaigns on the web for IE to improve its

compatibility with standards and a large amount of the stick Microsoft has received over years has been because of IE.IE just does not render websites correctly and forces people to create web pages in a non-standard way... essentially its the technological equivalent of AIDS.Linus :D 

[/quote]Somebody obviously doesn''t know much about web development. I think a more accurate quote would be "they are supposed to do the same thing" - in practical terms, no browser implements standards correctly. IE is an absolute nightmare, and does its own thing with no regards for what it SHOULD be doing...

i have never had any probs with I E.. I have used other browsers.. Netscape a few years back.... it was horrible... Used firefox once as well but never liked it....guess im just to I E and its the default browser and works for me....

i have never had any probs with I E.. I have used other browsers.. Netscape a few years back.... it was horrible... Used firefox once as well but never liked it....guess im just to I E and its the default browser and works for me....

[/quote]Just because you''ve never had any problem with it, doesn''t mean it''s doing a good job. I never had any problems with Carl Robinson - so maybe we shouldn''t strive for better...?

Sorry guys, but why are you bothering to try and get IE V8 to work when its still in testing (beta)? Microsoft products in full release are buggy let alone when they are in beta.