Sign in to follow this  
yellow 63

travelling away with city

great to see our away support on form yet again the numbers have really grown over the years i remember going to arsenal and charlton in the early eighties and we only took about 200 hundred fans .has anyone got any stories about following city away in the seventies and eighties funny scary strange lets here them

I took my dog to lots of away games in the 70''s including Newcastle mid week, can''t remember the year but it was their lowest attendance since the war. Anyway we sat in the row behind the Directors box and at the end of the game climbed over the little wall into it and down the stairs. We went past a bloke with a green livery on, who looked at us and you could see him thinking that he was sure he hadn''t seen the dog earlier. Anyway we strolled past him and ended up in the Directors Lounge. There was a bar in the corner, free, no beer so had a whisky and stood around. Soon the coaching staff came in like Mel Machin, so had a chat with him. I remember he asked how we got in there. Then off we went, out through the front entrance, past the autograph hunters and on into the night.

i remember a fa cup match away at southamptons old dell ground. we got there well early in the morning so we thought we''d have a look around the ground. to our amazement we came across an open gate, so in we went, had a good look round, and even managed to get the groundsman to take our photo standing in the goalmouth. ( the game by the way finished 0-0)

Went to Palace in 86 or 87 (we got promoted that year), stayed in London and after a short walk got on a red bus with "Crystal Palace" on the front of it. I think I was on the bus for about two hours as it drove around all of the sights of London (and some of Watford probably) . I didnt know London too well then so didnt dare get off!

Got to Selhurst just before half time. Gatemen had all packed up so we climbed over the turnstile. City were already 1 up and won 2.1 . Took us about 20 minutes to get back to my mates house afterwards.

Apparently the buses with Crystal Palace has caught lots of people in the past. If you are ever in the same position get on the red buses with "Selhurst Park" on them.....