Sign in to follow this  
Reading Canary

Sieberski - 34 years old - 7 goals in last 56 games

So this is the answer to our goalscoring prayers is it Mr Roeder ?  A 34 year old has been with no goalscoring record ? 5 months after you know Dublin is leaving , you chuck out Huckerby and Brown , Evans leaves - you have no replacement lined up , no plan B or C - Is this plan Z ???  Shows a total lack of ambition as usual by the club who have cheated 24000 loyal fans into thinking times are changing - Prepare yourself for relegation which is what your lack of judgement and ambition deserves NCFC .

if we''d signed Berbatov people like you would find something to moan about, my first reaction was good signing, just get behind the team you suppose to support you idiot 

[quote user="Reading Canary"]So this is the answer to our goalscoring prayers is it Mr Roeder ?  A 34 year old has been with no goalscoring record ? 5 months after you know Dublin is leaving , you chuck out Huckerby and Brown , Evans leaves - you have no replacement lined up , no plan B or C - Is this plan Z ???  Shows a total lack of ambition as usual by the club who have cheated 24000 loyal fans into thinking times are changing - Prepare yourself for relegation which is what your lack of judgement and ambition deserves NCFC .[/quote]

What a fool you really, really are, you know nothing about football do you?

His goalscoring record has little to do with the signing, Sib is a good hold up player, and very good in the air, and that is what was needed.

As for a relegation fight I take it you have not been to a game this season, as you are talking complete and utter bull, try watching us play one day.

Dublin was not a prolific goalscorer, he was in the same mould as Sibs, and I  would go as far as to say he will score more in a season than Dion.

Yes I know a targetman isn''t all about scoring goals, but also about setting others up and providing plenty of assists.  Ideally a good mix of the two.

However, in a career that has spanned 16 years (Lille 1992) Sibierski has managed the grand total of 83 league goals, or 5.1875 goals a year.  Or perhaps more relevant, since he came to England in 2003 a goal every 8.22 games, translated over the course of a full championship season we will be lucky to see 6 goals form him.

This is the last minute, rushed, CHEAP, plan z, I just hope and pray he is of a bit more use than Chris Brown (once he gets over the injury). 

Make no mistake though, this is in no way the final piece of the jigsaw, that will see us rocketing towards the playoffs and beyond.

[quote user="Be Smart  be thankful for Sibs"]

[quote user="Reading Canary"]So this is the answer to our goalscoring prayers is it Mr Roeder ?  A 34 year old has been with no goalscoring record ? 5 months after you know Dublin is leaving , you chuck out Huckerby and Brown , Evans leaves - you have no replacement lined up , no plan B or C - Is this plan Z ???  Shows a total lack of ambition as usual by the club who have cheated 24000 loyal fans into thinking times are changing - Prepare yourself for relegation which is what your lack of judgement and ambition deserves NCFC.

What a fool you really, really are, you know nothing about football do you?

His goalscoring record has little to do with the signing, Sib is a good hold up player, and very good in the air, and that is what was needed.

As for a relegation fight I take it you have not been to a game this season, as you are talking complete and utter bull, try watching us play one day.

Dublin was not a prolific goalscorer, he was in the same mould as Sibs, and I  would go as far as to say he will score more in a season than Dion.

[/quote]

I very much doubt that.  See my post above.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics” is part of a phrase attributed to Benjamin Disraeli and popularized in the United States by Mark Twain.  I''m not sure who you were expecting to sign but clearly it was someone like van nistelrooy or drogba.  Sibierski may not have a great goalscoring record but as someone who watched him under roeder at newcastle I know how effective he was and that was in the prem, I can''t begin to imagine what he can do in the championship  He is smart and intelligent, good in the air, links the play up wll and can teach the youngsters a great deal.  If you want to judge a player on stats then you can do that , I like most other fans will be judging him where it counts on the pitch. This really is the best signing we could have got on the day and seeing as he was on the subs bench for wigan at the weekend hats off to roeder for pulling off such a coup.

i feel that Sibierski could turn out to be a very good signing for Norwich...He may not be prolific but he is a very intelligent player .  He falls into the category of player who won''t raise many eyebrows but then who was ecstatic about Dublin when he signed or Matty Svensson. 

[quote user="mickey phelans tash"]i feel that Sibierski could turn out to be a very good signing for Norwich...He may not be prolific but he is a very intelligent player .  He falls into the category of player who won''t raise many eyebrows but then who was ecstatic about Dublin when he signed or Matty Svensson. [/quote]

Could not agree more - I think Svenson was not really appreciated until he was gone and Sibierski is out of the same mould. He will not score 20 a season, and in truth is only bench material in the Prem (he is not going displace Heskey is he?). He will however hold the ball up, bring others into play and potentially can be the more physical presence that both Lupoli and Cureton need alongside them to flourish.

Yes, if we were awash with money there would be others you would opt for over him, but for where we are at the moment this is a sound signing.  Lets see see how he goes before we do a Dublin and write him off.

There is much more to a strikers role than just scoring goals, and Sieberski will add a lot to our side.We have players in the squad who can score goals, Lupoli, Russel, Fotheringham etc. and Sieberski will grab a goal if he gets the chance.But more than that, he will add to the squad, and set up goals, hold the ball up, be that all important tall, strong striker we''ve missed all season.

in theory - unless his legs have gone (as in the case of curo this season) he should be twice the player of dion...if he gets crocked - we''ve no plan B - we can''t score with what we''ve got - put the doc up front???

Seems like a lot of people seem to be rushing in to defend the Sieberki signing by saying he doesn''t need to score goals, he''s just here to hold the ball up! what kind of argument is that? we are creating chances now without too many problems, the real problem is we can''t convert those many chances into goals, will a 34 yr old 5 goals a season player really change all that?

[quote user="AJ"]There is much more to a strikers role than just scoring goals, and Sieberski will add a lot to our side.

We have players in the squad who can score goals, Lupoli, Russel, Fotheringham etc. and Sieberski will grab a goal if he gets the chance.

But more than that, he will add to the squad, and set up goals, hold the ball up, be that all important tall, strong striker we''ve missed all season.
[/quote]

Exactly, spot on! IMHO he will be quality for us & Jamielad / Lupoli will thrive playing alongside him. People who are only looking at his scoring record clearly know nothing about football! I can''t weait for the next game now!!

[quote user="John Boubepo"]Seems like a lot of people seem to be rushing in to defend the Sieberki signing by saying he doesn''t need to score goals, he''s just here to hold the ball up! what kind of argument is that? we are creating chances now without too many problems, the real problem is we can''t convert those many chances into goals, will a 34 yr old 5 goals a season player really change all that?

[/quote]

How many clear cut chances did we create against Birmingham even though we played them off the park?

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Yes I know a targetman isn''t all about scoring goals, but also about setting others up and providing plenty of assists.  Ideally a good mix of the two.

However, in a career that has spanned 16 years (Lille 1992) Sibierski has managed the grand total of 83 league goals, or 5.1875 goals a year.  Or perhaps more relevant, since he came to England in 2003 a goal every 8.22 games, translated over the course of a full championship season we will be lucky to see 6 goals form him.

This is the last minute, rushed, CHEAP, plan z, I just hope and pray he is of a bit more use than Chris Brown (once he gets over the injury). 

Make no mistake though, this is in no way the final piece of the jigsaw, that will see us rocketing towards the playoffs and beyond.

[/quote]

Surely the fact he is dropping a level will boost his goals tally?

He is a quality player but not a goalscorer, what he will do is allow others to score. Thats what we wanted is it not? At least until Iverson becomes avaliable.

[quote user="John Boubepo"]Seems like a lot of people seem to be rushing in to defend the Sieberki signing by saying he doesn''t need to score goals, he''s just here to hold the ball up! what kind of argument is that? we are creating chances now without too many problems, the real problem is we can''t convert those many chances into goals, will a 34 yr old 5 goals a season player really change all that?

[/quote] From what I have seen of Sibierski in the past then the answer is YES.

At least we got a striker in with some sort of reputation and Prem League experience. I say give him a chance and show him he''s very welcome at NCFC, because he is! But I also plead to Glen to keep Rusty in the team, just behind the two... He''s deserved a starting slot big time!

[quote user="silver fox"][quote user="John Boubepo"]Seems like a lot of people seem to be rushing in to defend the Sieberki signing by saying he doesn''t need to score goals, he''s just here to hold the ball up! what kind of argument is that? we are creating chances now without too many problems, the real problem is we can''t convert those many chances into goals, will a 34 yr old 5 goals a season player really change all that?

[/quote] From what I have seen of Sibierski in the past then the answer is YES.[/quote]

Seems a lot of folk on this thread support the view that we need a target man rather than an out an out finisher. I totally agree and the Frenchman should be just that - provided GR doesn''t get it wrong! Haven''t seen him play but if he''s good with his head then Cureton and Lupoli should love him. (Chris Brown could have done a similar job but was judged on his goal scoring record and was often played as a loan striker.). Am sure Sibierski will net a few if people support him and don''t get on his back too soon - remember the jeers for Iwan Roberts when he first arrived?

That said I am sure he''s a stop gap and somewhere along the line the manager''s negotiations went horribly wrong, though Cullum''s action probably didn''t help him either. The loan is only until January and I expect GR will not have given up on his other targets. A permanent Norwich player rather than just loan signings would be good but for now.... a much needed signing.

[quote user="Reading Canary"]So this is the answer to our goalscoring prayers is it Mr Roeder ?  A 34 year old has been with no goalscoring record ? 5 months after you know Dublin is leaving , you chuck out Huckerby and Brown , Evans leaves - you have no replacement lined up , no plan B or C - Is this plan Z ???  Shows a total lack of ambition as usual by the club who have cheated 24000 loyal fans into thinking times are changing - Prepare yourself for relegation which is what your lack of judgement and ambition deserves NCFC .[/quote]

Unbelievable!!  Well, maybe not considering the standard of idiots sometimes found posting on here.  Strange, isn''t it, that a couple of months ago when Sibierski''s name was mentioned as a possible target, everyone was saying what a great aquisition he would be.  6ft 2, premiership quality, experienced, just what we were looking for.  And now? As soon as we''ve got him it''s MOAN MOAN MOAN.

Sibierski is no ''has been''.  And have you considered that the reason he has not been prolific in the goal scoring stakes is because he often plays!  If Roeders brought him as a centre forward then I expect that is where he will play and my money is on him scoring regularly. Honestly, some people are just never happy. (pillock)

Sibierski gives us a lot of options.  He can slot in as an attacking midfielder for an away day 4-5-1.  He is big and strong and will be a decent foil for the talented but lightweight strikers Cureton & Lupoli.  I also think he is past his best for the prem, but could take the championship by storm.  We desperately need a physical presence up front and he gives us just that.  My biggest concern is that this is yet another loan, we have 8 now and can only use 4 on the pitch at a time.  Where is the sense in that.

Maybe we are holding out to get Iverson when the Norwegian domestic season ends in November.  Another loan but with a view to making it permanent in January.

Loans arent quite so bad though.  In our division especially they allow you to attract the type of player required to get out of this division but without the bind of a permanent contract.  I think it has been widely publicised that you need 2 teams for successful promotion, 1 to get you out of the Champ, 1 to keep you up in the Prem.  I think we are playing a clever, but very risky game here.

So  a question to those of you who are saying that he will lay off chances for the other players - who will convert them ? We have Lupoli with an average of 6 goals a season , Cureton - 12 goals last year and Holahan with an average of 5 goals a year - Croft with 1 every year .That makes 24 goals - Relegation form. Its all very well glossing over the fact that Sibierski has a poor goal record but it is because the others can''t score why we needed one who does ! After 5 months of knowing this situation i see it as total negligence by the board and Roeder that he has done nothing about this - instead of spending £500k on Bell when we have Croft , Chadwick, Pattison to cover this position , wouldn''t it have been better to have put this money towards a genuine striker ( ie a goalscorer ).

Hmmm. Rusty''s scored 2 in 4, Lupoli ditto. That makes 46 per season, without anyone else ......Don''t you just love statistics?

[quote user="ron obvious"]
Hmmm. Rusty''s scored 2 in 4, Lupoli ditto. That makes 46 per season, without anyone else ......

Don''t you just love statistics?
[/quote]

LOL!

I think its quite pathetic, that the majority of the posters on this board are satisfied by this signing..

First off, I agree we needed a big striker who could win his fair share of headers and flick ons to provide chances. But, we also needed a striker who could score goals, because at the moment we dont have one of them (Cureton was a one season wonder and your all basing Lupoli on just one game). Sibierski is not going to get you goals, in fact we should cont ourselves extremely lucky if he gets 10.. So tell me this, yes he might set up chances but who is going to finish them? And thus change us from drawing 1 v 1 every game to actually winning one.

Second off, lack of ambition or what. A 34 year old on loan, we now have 8 in our squad and can only use 5, who is only here until January where he wil then be replaced by another ageing striker in Iverson who will be 32 by then. And i bet your bottom dollar (irony) that the only reason Roeder is targeting him over Ameobi etc. is because of a lack of funds available from the board. They sold Shackell yesterday, who to me was our first choice back up to Kennedy and Stefanovic and replaced him with a kid on loan from Middlesbrough that doesnt even play CB as his first choice. Quite frankly one of the most pathetic swapover of players I have ever seen at this club. And all because the board dont want to spend any money. I would guess we got around £750 000 for Shacks and its all gone in that witches back pocket.

Im actually ashamed of my club.

[quote user="Reading Canary"]So  a question to those of you who are saying that he will lay off chances for the other players - who will convert them ? We have Lupoli with an average of 6 goals a season , Cureton - 12 goals last year and Holahan with an average of 5 goals a year - Croft with 1 every year .That makes 24 goals - Relegation form. .[/quote]

These guys need service. That''s the point those of us saying "he will lay off chances" are trying to make. Even Fotheringham might get lucky now. I hope GR gives them all a fair try alongside him even at the expense of Fotheringham . Cureton  and Hoolahan could really come good.