Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Wednesday's EDP front page

That is sure to be one of the biggest selling edp issues in recent history, i for one will be eagerly awaiting the thump of it through the letter box...

Another one that will "Shock fans around the country"?? Well done on trying to sell some more papers, and yet again upset the applecart. You lot really don''t do yourselves any favours.

[quote user="Midlandcanary"]someones trying to sell thier paper.......................[/quote]

That''s understandable.

Eastern Daily Press 63,058 down 4.3 per cent year on year.

Norwich Evening News: 22, 250 down 5.0 per cent year on year.

It''s a sad thing about regional newspapers (which is why I got out of them as soon as I could) is that when going for the jugular it often glances off the shoulder.

Players, barn door, banjo''s anyone?

The only two who will go for the jugular properly are the Newcastle Journal and the Wolverhampton Express and Star.

If given a decent chance, I''ll destroy them not take a pot shot.

Absolutely smashing moment on Clapham Common with Ron Davies, MP. 

Sorted, stuffed absolutely.   Wouldn''t have missed it  for anything. [8-|]

"You have destroyed my life," he said.

"It''s a burden I''ll try to carry", I said.

If the Delia reference is right (which it isn''t) that should have been the splash. 

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

[quote user="Midlandcanary"]someones trying to sell thier paper.......................[/quote]

That''s understandable.

It''s a sad thing about regional newspapers (which is why I got out of them as soon as I could) is that when going for the jugular it often glances off the shoulder.

The only two who will go for the jugular properly are the Newcastle Journal and the Wolverhampton Express and Star.

If the Delia reference is right (which it isn''t) that should have been the splash. 

[/quote]

PS: Affable bloke but a terribly weak Editor.

There you go.[:#]

So what I''ve established from reading the report on the edp website is absolutely nothing and that the story is pure speculation.

Words such as "looked set" , "could lead to" and "apparent willingness", padded out by some quotes from Roger Munby, don''t convince me that the EDP don''t know much more than they did yesterday morning when the story broke.  An interview or comment from the Turners would have been a new story, but unless it is in the paper (as opposed to the on line edition) I can''t see why the EDP would not have investigated this angle.

If there is, as I suspect, a confidentiality agreement between the two parties, we won''t hear too much more from either NCFC or the Turners.

If that''s all there is to report my advice would be to spend your money on sweets at the newsagents not a newspaper.

Some investigative journalism required-more about the Turners and what makes their lives tick

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

So what I''ve established from reading the report on the edp website is absolutely nothing and that the story is pure speculation.

Words such as "looked set" , "could lead to" and "apparent willingness", padded out by some quotes from Roger Munby, don''t convince me that the EDP don''t know much more than they did yesterday morning when the story broke.  An interview or comment from the Turners would have been a new story, but unless it is in the paper (as opposed to the on line edition) I can''t see why the EDP would not have investigated this angle.

If there is, as I suspect, a confidentiality agreement between the two parties, we won''t hear too much more from either NCFC or the Turners.

If that''s all there is to report my advice would be to spend your money on sweets at the newsagents not a newspaper.

[/quote]

Cool, I am off to buy a Creme Egg then, thanks Tim[:D]

[quote user="fleckmatic"]Is the "Delia considers future" and "for sale'' speculation or do they know something?
[/quote]

No its just the usual Archant Spin on half a story - taking a negative view of everything and "this could" open the door for Peter Cullum but "Last night there was no comment from Mr Cullum" - it does not even say that they made any attempt to contact him let alone look for a "source close to Towergate" - perhaps they couldn''t stump up the cash for another expensive rail trip to London to sup ale in "The Pump House" (the pub opposite his offices) whilst making up this drivel!

If''s, but''s and maybe''s.  Waste of time, the EDP is fast becoming a tabloid!

[quote user="Salahuddin"]If''s, but''s and maybe''s.  Waste of time, the EDP is fast becoming a tabloid![/quote]

Never been as good since andrex came along. Quality of the paper dropped!

That''s understandable.

[/quote]

The second half of your post doesn''t make sense 

We can have speculation galore, but I guess now is the time to (however difficult) wait and see.  If Cullum was genuine with his offer, then what is stopping him now coming in?

So come on PC put your money where your mouth is, and if not, why not?

It seems that the Turners may have been the stumbling block in any deal with Cullum and now they are gone.

However, I can''t see in that article how Delia has effectively put the club up for sale?  I can''t see a quote, is it some imaginative journalism.

That''s understandable.

[/quote]what the hell are you talking about?

I don''t agree that the EDP story is sensationalist crap.The reporters always know more about a story than they can firm-up with the necessary quote to substantiate, so they have to write a story around what they have been told or what they have uncovered.I am sure they know the right questions to ask but if Munby will not reply to them what can they do?No, I am sure there is more to this story than has appeared in the paper - and all will be revealed over time.But, please, don''t take too long, boys!

[quote user="Budgie"]I don''t agree that the EDP story is sensationalist crap.

The reporters always know more about a story than they can firm-up with the necessary quote to substantiate, so they have to write a story around what they have been told or what they have uncovered.

I am sure they know the right questions to ask but if Munby will not reply to them what can they do?

No, I am sure there is more to this story than has appeared in the paper - and all will be revealed over time.

But, please, don''t take too long, boys!
[/quote]

Never any smoke without fire then?  I always say that, and agree with what you have said somewhat.

Let''s face it, most of us have been here before, we got through it then and will again, if nothing else maybe this will reunite the fans a little, who have lately been a little divided on opinions about what is or is not going on with our beloved club.

[quote user="sxcanaree"]

[quote user="fleckmatic"]Is the "Delia considers future" and "for sale'' speculation or do they know something?
[/quote]

- perhaps they couldn''t stump up the cash for another expensive rail trip to London to sup ale in "The Pump House" (the pub opposite his offices) whilst making up this drivel!

[/quote]

You are very out of date sxcanaree the Pump House, unless I''m mistaken, closed many months ago. Another victim of the smoking ban. They could always go to the Old Tea Warehouse round the corner, much better in my opinion.

Well at least now we get to see whether or not there are hoards of mega rich potential investors waiting to pile money into us as the ''realists'' have been suggesting for some time. I for one am very excited about seeing Ronaldo, Gerrard and SWP in the yellow and green.

Seriously, though, looks like the moment of truth is approaching ... I just hope we still have a club when all the BS and smoke and mirrors have cleared.    

That''s understandable.

[/quote]

Whoever you are, you come across as a bitter, failed journalist who''s a bit of a know-all. Let me guess - you don''t work on a daily paper but would love to do so, right?

I''m not surprised the circulations are down - that''s happening everywhere.

Tell me - were you born with a chip on your shoulder or has it developed over the years?

A newspaper publisher trying to sell a newspaper? Whatever next!

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

Small, pedantic point, but if the Truners have left, surely it should be "Smith and Jones" on the For Sale sign.

[/quote]

Good point, although the Turners still have money tied up in the club, and it''s that money that would be recouped if the club was sold.

So both are right.