Sign in to follow this  
Fluff

The future of the game

''robsonhasscored'' made a great point in his post regarding disillusionment in the game.  I honestly believe that a point has been reached where the ordinary punter and genuine fan has come to their senses especially after seeing our athletes achieve so much for little reward (in comparison) in the olympics.  Compare them to the gimps running around in an England shirt earning £120K per week!I love the game completely, but only when you can see people giving their all because they know that they are part of something as well as knowing that if they dont, the guy on the bench or that new lad making a name for himself in the youth team are chomping at the bit to take his spot!All the time that big investment companies are coming in a taking our clubs over one at a time, the true meaning of football is being whittled down to where the actual event on the field is becoming less important than the image rights and sellability of some of the players.  Would the new owners of Man city have bothered if the oil in the ground wasnt running out?  I dont believe so just looking at the whole make up of the company.  What they want in 5 years is a blue shirt on the back of everyones back and countless TV and sponsorship revenues, simple!  How many of you had heard of LA Galaxy let alone see a shirt in JJB at Sprowston before Beckham went there?Unfortunately the history of all these clubs are being lost.  Yes it would be nice to be champions of anything, but to do that now, only a very select few will be able to do so, so that then makes the competing and participation of any league demoralising.  Even to win the Championship you now need a squad of 35 players on big money.  Every now and then, a Bristol, Hull or even 10 years ago a Bolton appear that win things due to a progressive evolution of players, backroom and strategy.  Managers just dont get that time now, so how can we ever compete?I have followed City since the mid 70s and have seen us time and time again compete with the big boys.  Those days are now gone.  Again I would love us to be up there, but at what cost?  Even up to the mid 90''s you could compete without spending big, but the gulf is so huge now.  Sunderland have spent millions in two years, but they will still finish bottom half.  (I do however also follow the lower leagues, and I have seen a resurgance of smaller semi pro football).  Attendances are going up all the time, and clubs like the Man united breakaway team and AFC Wimbledon have made strides whilst all the time backed by a loyal fan base that once backed the main sides.  I dont suggest forming a FC Norwich by an means, but would stepping back and competing at our real level be so bad?  Why are we paying people thousands a week when in reality they are not much good!Sorry for banging on!!!!

a very good post, I was going to post something similiar to this yesterday even before the man city debactcle, but that has just added weight to the claims...The gap has got stupidly big now even between the ''big 4'' which has realisitcally become the ''big 2'' until man city potentially catch up, but what next?! is there a bloke out there richer then this arab?, it surely will reach boiling point soon, and we''ll have a similiar scenario to that of the itv digital collapse only on a much bigger scale, clubs outside the premier are still realistically reeling from this, but have clubs learned there lesson?! I don''t think so, and in 5-10 years time I honestly think we''ll be watching a hardcore 30-40 clubs rather then the current 92

If the ''big four'' wished to sod-off and play in a European league, I would say bravo, be gone with you.  I really would''nt miss them.

I agree with what you say, but i think it would of happened anyway, as oil is no were near running out (i work in the industry). But i agree are English team is filled with wasters that should not wear the shirt of are country 

[quote user="AndyJR"]If the ''big four'' wished to sod-off and play in a European league, I would say bravo, be gone with you.  I really would''nt miss them.

[/quote]

As posted on the "Oligarchs" thread, it''s more likely to be a "big fourteen" than a big four imo.  It probably won''t be a European league, it will be a worldwide league of teams playing English-style football because it is more exciting (though less technically accomplished) and will therefore maximise the worldwide TV audience - Liverpool playing Man U in Dubai, that sort of thing.  It could happen sooner than we think - sometime between 2011 and 2013 is my guess.

I feel a slight tinge of sympathy for the fans of those clubs, but the bigger the party the bigger the hangover, that''s just life.

So where would this leave Norwich City?   There is no reason where there''s couldn''t be a very healthy English football league - possibly healthier and more genuinely competitive than it is now - especially if the football authorities get their act together and terrestrial TV companies grasp the opportunity with both hands.  With the financial clout of someone like Peter Cullum behind us and football at the top of the agenda once again, we both could and should become a significant force.  It''s what I want and it''s what I expect.  Being also rans in a league no longer dominated by the "big fourteen" would represent underachievement, and I''ve had a gutfull of that in recent years.

This week''s events at Manchester City have made it crystal clear that sticking our heads in the sand and praying it will never happen is no longer an option.

i just wish that someone would set up a "Phoenix football league" with salary caps, shared revenue, Structured TV deals etc... take the NFL model and apply it to football then invite the current football league sides and premiership sides who want competitiveness in a league where truly anyone could win it to join...

I gaurentee the premiership would die in a matter of seasons... and with the TV deals being owned by the league rather than a TV company would mean that sky wouldn get a stranglehold and choke the life out of it...

Oh for an ideal world !

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

i just wish that someone would set up a "Phoenix football league" with salary caps, shared revenue, Structured TV deals etc... take the NFL model and apply it to football then invite the current football league sides and premiership sides who want competitiveness in a league where truly anyone could win it to join...

I gaurentee the premiership would die in a matter of seasons... and with the TV deals being owned by the league rather than a TV company would mean that sky wouldn get a stranglehold and choke the life out of it...

Oh for an ideal world !

[/quote]

so the MLS then. They have salary caps and everything, even a draft of the new young talent, we could bring that in, so instead of priemiership clubs hovering up the young talent, anyone can get them.

[quote user="Belaugh Yellow"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Oh for an ideal world !

[/quote]

so the MLS then. They have salary caps and everything, even a draft of the new young talent, we could bring that in, so instead of priemiership clubs hovering up the young talent, anyone can get them.

[/quote]

yes! and just like the MLS and NFL they can pay whatever the hell they want if it doesnt take them over the cap... so every team would have a star player... imagine Frank Lampard turning out for hull.. it would be a possibility! no transfer fees.. team finishing last get more money than the team who wins the league/cup... all would even out...

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Belaugh Yellow"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Oh for an ideal world !

[/quote]

[/quote]

yes! and just like the MLS and NFL they can pay whatever the hell they want if it doesnt take them over the cap... so every team would have a star player... imagine Frank Lampard turning out for hull.. it would be a possibility! no transfer fees.. team finishing last get more money than the team who wins the league/cup... all would even out...

[/quote]

i agree totally, the likes of ronaldo at Stevenage, or Kings lynn. Would Bring much more excitment to the leagues. And could split the country into diffrent leagues Like the NFL, NHL, MLS, with a North, East, south, west and central with the winners going into a playoff, for the title. It would be good to see

[quote user="Belaugh Yellow"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Belaugh Yellow"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Oh for an ideal world !

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

i agree totally, the likes of ronaldo at Stevenage, or Kings lynn. Would Bring much more excitment to the leagues. And could split the country into diffrent leagues Like the NFL, NHL, MLS, with a North, East, south, west and central with the winners going into a playoff, for the title. It would be good to see

[/quote]

you werent being sarkey were you? *looks dubios* lol

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Belaugh Yellow"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Belaugh Yellow"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Oh for an ideal world !

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I am being deadly serious, we might actully win something for a change, name one good team apart from us in the east of england

[/quote]

you werent being sarkey were you? *looks dubios* lol

[/quote]

A completely new ''league'' system such as a Pheonix would be the way forward.  Clubs like ours really should not be in debt with the fan base, sponsorship and revenues it collects, however player salaries and fees are what is tipping us over, and to be honest, are they really worth their wages?Capping salaries and putting in place limits on how many you can bring in along with a mandatory 4 home player rule (as in trained at that club) would shake things up massively.  You may not have the top top players coming to us either as a player or opponent, but think of what could be acheived in the long run, and to be honest, how do you base whether a player is top anyway?  Earnings?  Me personally a top player is someone who is loyal, spills their guts out, and does the basic things on a pitch!Over the last 10 years, the championship has produced championship winning teams that were not necessarily the ''biggest'' or richest.  A title winning team needs to evolve with long service players, management time and that little spark.  Wigan, Us and Reading all had that.

[quote user="AndyJR"]If the ''big four'' wished to sod-off and play in a European league, I would say bravo, be gone with you.  I really would''nt miss them.

[/quote]

I posted something like this a few days ago, but also wishing that Sky took the money with them, so that the beautiful game comes back to the supporters and how it should be played.

The american way is stupied, they changed the whole name of football, to soccer. How dumb is that. They should keep Football Football and change american football to american rugby which is what it really is.