Sign in to follow this  
sterei

Calling all Norwich City fans who use the A11

Norfolk County Council is campaigning for dualling of the last single carriageway stretch of the A11 (Fiveways to Thetford) to be brought forward to 2010 and has set up an online petition www.norfolk.gov.uk/dualtheA11

I''m keen to encourage as many people as possible to sign the petition, because dualling the A11 will make the road safer to use and help eliminate the reputation among businesses of Norfolk being a remote place in which to do business.  It will also reduce the time spent by Norwich City fans travelling to away games as well as aiding ''exiled'' supporters travelling here who are not lucky enough to live in our County.

The more people who sign up, the stronger the message we will be able to send to Transport Secretary Ruth Kelly, so please do add your name to the online petition or sign the petition forms in Norfolk County Council libraries or in EDP offices.

We also have a facebook group - ''help us get the rest of the A11 dualled''.

Thanks for taking the trouble of reading this and with best wishes for the rest of the season,

Daniel Cox,

Leader Norfolk County Council

[quote user="sterei"]

Norfolk County Council is campaigning for dualling of the last single carriageway stretch of the A11 (Fiveways to Thetford) to be brought forward to 2010 and has set up an online petition www.norfolk.gov.uk/dualtheA11

I''m keen to encourage as many people as possible to sign the petition, because dualling the A11 will make the road safer to use and help eliminate the reputation among businesses of Norfolk being a remote place in which to do business.  It will also reduce the time spent by Norwich City fans travelling to away games as well as aiding ''exiled'' supporters travelling here who are not lucky enough to live in our County.

The more people who sign up, the stronger the message we will be able to send to Transport Secretary Ruth Kelly, so please do add your name to the online petition or sign the petition forms in Norfolk County Council libraries or in EDP offices.

Thanks for taking the trouble of reading this and with best wishes for the rest of the season,

Daniel Cox,

[/quote]the link would help your cause alot more......please post it up

I use it all the time travelling from Norwich to London and that particular section desperately needs dualling. I''m on it.

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="sterei"]

Daniel Cox,

[/quote]the link would help your cause alot more......please post it up[/quote]

lol don''t be so picky, cut and paste it into your browser [:D]

Thanks for your support everyone.  We launched the petition on Friday and between the online signatures, facebook, and some work we did at police gala day on Sunday, we already have over 5000 people who have actively supported the campaign.  That doesn''t include however many have also signed paper copies in our libraries, in EDP offices, or have downloaded a petition form to gather their own support.

Best

Steven Reilly, Media Officer, Norfolk County Council

[quote user="sterei"]

Thanks for your support everyone.  We launched the petition on Friday and between the online signatures, facebook, and some work we did at police gala day on Sunday, we already have over 5000 people who have actively supported the campaign.  That doesn''t include however many have also signed paper copies in our libraries, in EDP offices, or have downloaded a petition form to gather their own support.

Best

Steven Reilly, Media Officer, Norfolk County Council

[/quote]a pleasure...lets hope it happens :-)

Maybe some of us could download and print off some forms and go around where we live and gather more signatures.

Sterei is there a date it has to be completed by?

Hey again.

The petition forms can be downloaded from the web site ( www.norfolk.gov.uk/dualtheA11 ), and have an address at the bottom for them to be posted back to.

We are asking for any such forms to be sent back to us by October 8th, as the final tally will be presented to the members of the County Council''s Cabinet, and media, on October 13.  Before then being sent to the Transport Secretary, Ruth Kelly. 

Best

Steve

Norfolk is the way it is because of its location and the difficulty of getting in and out.  Keep the place special I say and DO NOT dual anything.[quote user="sterei"]

Daniel Cox,

[/quote]

[quote user="JC"]Norfolk is the way it is because of its location and the difficulty of getting in and out.  Keep the place special I say and DO NOT dual anything.[/quote]

This surprises me JC, normally you''re quite sensible.

Maybe somebody who knows could tell us how much of the A11 there is left to dual.  If we''re talking about the stretch near Elveden it can''t be any more than 10 miles.  Dualling this road will not change the way Norfolk is.  It will however, remove a large bottleneck from the Thetford area, and improve journey times, which will in turn improve the local economy, which will create extra income to help to run Norfolks'' facilities better.

Indeed, we are talking about a nine-mile stretch of single carriageway road between Fiveways Barton Mills roundabout, and the Thetford roundabout. 

Dualling would improve road safety and would improve journey times (during normal speed limit travel, and especially following collisions - when the road grinds to a halt for significant periods of time).

The congestion on this road - whether due to volume of traffic, or due to hold-ups after collisions, has an impact on businesses also - as their staff/vehicles get held up with the rest of us.  This impacts the perception of our county as a place to do business in, and from.

So a number of benefits.

Clearly though, some people, who are of course entitled to their opinion, don''t want this dualling.  But support for this has passed 5000 in the course of a few days. 

[quote user="JC"]Norfolk is the way it is because of its location and the difficulty of getting in and out.  Keep the place special I say and DO NOT dual anything.

[quote user="sterei"]

Daniel Cox,

[/quote][/quote]

You obviously don''t live in Thetford like I do and witness the weekly chaos when yet another accident shuts the road down. Or the many,many deaths on this stretch of road over the years.

[quote user="IncH_HigH"][quote user="JC"]Norfolk is the way it is because of its location and the difficulty of getting in and out.  Keep the place special I say and DO NOT dual anything.

[quote user="sterei"]

Daniel Cox,

[/quote][/quote]

You obviously don''t live in Thetford like I do and witness the weekly chaos when yet another accident shuts the road down. Or the many,many deaths on this stretch of road over the years.

[/quote]

Or have to do a 380 mile round trip to all home games, with this stretch of road sometimes adding an extra half an hour to the journey.

Oh you are right there.  I certainly do not live in Thetford.

[quote user="IncH_HigH"][quote user="JC"]Norfolk is the way it is because of its location and the difficulty of getting in and out.  Keep the place special I say and DO NOT dual anything.[quote user="sterei"]

Daniel Cox,

[/quote][/quote]

[/quote]

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]Pete can this be made into a sticky or something pretty please [:D][/quote]yeah pete - sticky this up - if only in memory of arthur south - this visionary spearheaded a ''dual the a11 campaign'' in late 80''s...we treated like inbreds by whitehall...

[quote user="sterei"]

Daniel Cox,

[/quote]

Just signed too, perhaps you could forward the link to the British Road Haulage Association, in london I would do it but not got a clue how to send links, they have been trying to get the work started for years now, so if they get all the lorry drivers involved it could bulk the numbers up, good luck