Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Adpating to the Premiership

When we got promoted, we all wondered and debated long and hard over who we thought would cut it. Now we''ve seen our first few games, the questions have, in some cases at least, been answered.

It''s clear that some players - Francis, Fleming, Drury, Leon, immediately look right at home at this level and clearly belong there. Charlton, Edworthy and Hucks have seen it all before, while others - Helveg, Holt, Johnson, Svensson - are clearly feeling the step up. Our future in the prem could hang on them adapting and adapting soon.
Others i''m still unsure about - will the real Paul McVeigh please stand up!

I think Mullers might struggle too - he''s a player who excels with time on the ball and he just won''t get it. I''ll reserve judegement on Mackay but Charlton is standing out a mile with his excellent distribution out of defence, something our Malky has rarely excelled at!

Thoughts?

I think you have summed it up perfectly a1. I know its early days but its clear that some players (greeno, drury, flem, franny, Leon etc) can make the Prem and others such as Hucks, the Doc and Charlton are picking up where they left off. I think players like WLY, Holty, Sven, Jonson and Helveg have the ability to play in the Prem, I really do. Hopefully after a few more games and more training they will be able to get in the game more. I don''t expect to see much of Mulryne at all this year. He must be well done the pecking order for a reason.

Keep the faith

Aw, cheers dumble! Good to see you are keeping the faith in holt and sven - hope you''re right to. Agreed that Mullers will be periferal this season (did i spell that right?!)

I think Malky can do a job and wont let us down when called on to cover for injuries / suspensions. OFiF got one last night ( abooking that is). Speaking of which, how did Dyer was it escape a booking for trying to break Bentleys leg? Outrage

Helveg - 10 years in Milan & captain of Denmark - "clearly feeling the step up". You must be joking. More likely suffering from culture shock (e.g. the speed & intensity of the Premiership) or overconfidence (needs a little figurative kick up the b*ckside). He should soon sort himself out.
I thought that Jonson looked class when he came on at Newcastle.
I have a hunch though that in the long term Doherty & McKenzie may prove to be our best signings.
I would really like to see Saffri given a run soon instead of Holt.
OTBC.

A1 - yes you did spell ''that'' right, unfortunately ''peripheral'' was wrong ;~)

OTBC

I totally disagree i think this could be the season for mullers I think his vision and passing could be key if he can get a game ! as francis has already got one central midfield berth

I agree too a1 spot on. I also think Jonson and Helveg will get used to the pace and come through. Its peripheral by the way. I couldn''t spell it either so I looked it up in the dictionary.

Mostly agree with that - but remain unconvinced about Sven at this level.

But Mulryne - hmmm - could be that this is his level, on his day his distribution and vision are first class.

He''s clearly been less than 100% fit last year - this years piccie''s seem to show a leaner, sleeker version. Providing he fits with the style of players around him - I really think he can do it.

given the chance , i think mullers can do a great job for us in the prem . it wasnt really his thing in div 1 but he has the vision and range of passing that we at the moment dont have . get him fit and get him in !

Please, please people lay off the scandanavians! As far as I''ve seen Helveg has had one bad game having only started playing for this club and people are slaging him. Jonson has been back and forth and taken part in very little training with norwich so far, so perhaps it was asking too much of him to play against palace and Utd. These players are class acts just give them a chance!!

I''m sorry but in the last 18 months I''ve steadily grown to dislike Mullers more and more. We just look SOOOOO defensive when he plays. I always want to cheer when he crosses the half way line! He''s not like Francis. Franny will get stuck in and has the pace to take players on. I don''t think I''ve ever seen Mullers do this. On his day Mulryne can be good. Some of the passes he can make are superb. But I don''t think he will have the time on the ball in the Prem to pick out all these lovely lofted passes. When Mulryne first came from Man Utd he was one of my favourite players. I''ll never forget his scorcher of a free kick away at Grimsby on sky, when winning away was a real novalty!! He did look class when he came but over the years seems to have gone backwards (quite literally on match days!!) If he played well he would be an asset to us in the middle of the park. If

Keep the faith

BlyBlyBabes: "suffering from the culture shock (e.g. the speed and intensity of the Premiership)"
So that''ll be er, ''feeling the step up'' then (e.g. in speed and intensity of the Premiership as against serie A). He said himself when the ball goes for a throw in Italy everyone relaxes a bit where as here the ball''s back in play and coming at you in a second. That''s feeling the step up, but i have no doubt he will adapt.
I have every faith in Johnson and Helveg and sure, they need time, but they have shown how well some of the others have fitted in to the Prem to be at the level they are at right from the off. That''s credit to the management also.
I have always defended and been a fan of Svensson but i have a feeling, possibly prematurely, that he might struggle, especially if we get in another striker. If we don''t, let''s hope he silences the doubters (me included!).

Cheers Zipper, for the spelling correction - derrr, i knew that! Thought it looked wrong!
I''ll do my lines now:
Peripheral peripheral peripheral peripheral peripheral peripheral peripheral peripheral peripheral
peripheral peripheral peripheral peripheral peripheral peripheral peripheral peripheral peripheral
peripheral peripheral peripheral peripheral peripheral peripheral peripheral peripheral peripheral
peripheral peripheral peripheral peripheral peripheral peripheral peripheral peripheral...

a1. What Helveg said would be er, culture shock?
Premiership to Serie A, a step up? or
Serie A to Premiership, a step up?
Discuss class!
Different styles. Evidence from European & World Cup competitions would suggest that the Serie A style and ethos is more effective in achieving high class results than the Premiership.
However, give me the Premiership any day for high class entertainment.

Helveg & Jonson have never played in England before. Hence, culture shock''. But I believe they are both class, will adapt & prove to be great signings.

Holt & Svenson are clearly feeling ''the step up''''. Good Championship level players, but lacking that vital "something" at Premiership level. I do hope they can prove us wrong.

It seems that in the end we really agree, a1.

Cheers!

OTBC