Sign in to follow this  
ZLF

Long ball game

Following the question set by the ''best passer'' thread I was shocked to see that we have the least number of successful passes per game in the prem, which has made me wonder why that may be. (as well as hoping that Worthy will concentrate on passing a bit more in training!)

I know that Holt has had a shocker but dont think that the team result can be down to one player. Looking at the stats the players with most passes are the central midfielders - Makelele, Butt, Fabregas - or full back - Volz and Carr. Thinking about our game i suspect we simply do not go through these players but use either greeno or the central defenders to hit the left corner flag or target mans forehead. This would explain why our number of passes to a fellow yellow is so poor.

It does seem to confirm my fears that we need to develop our attacking options by using the midfielders more as well as learning to pass to our forwards more accurately.

Any other thoughts?

OTBC

To me, we look for the killer ball far too early. Ok, the defence can overuse the balls to the strikers, but all in all I think they want to play football.

I think when we''ve settled down a bit, we''ll start using the easy ball and be confident and comfortable with keeping possession for a bit.

I agree ZLF. We all to often seem to bypass midifeld completely. If in doubt, whack it up field. The problem is that a lot of the time that ball is just picked up by the opposition defenders and we''re on the back foot again. If we can get Greeno to roll it out so we can pass from the back forward I think our game will be much better for it

Keep the faith

Banaman you could be right - the team are encouraged to look for a quick killer ball, it just seems that the ones trying to make that killer balls are the ones with the least passing ability?

OTBC

I am speculating here, but I think if you found the stats, the player most guilty of wasting possession would be David Bentley. I know that people are saying "he''s used to passing to Henry etc" but that doesn''t change anything.

Holt is our worst passer at the moment, he seems to have no confidence in it, and rolls the ball gently towards people - bad idea. But with Bentley, he seems to be looking for the "pass of the week" award on MOTD every time he gets the ball. He can obviously play clever passes, but these long speculative balls are a waste of time 95 times out of 100.

Just ask Rafa Benitez why he isn''t as excited about Steven Gerrard as we all are.

I honestly think that in 10 games or so, we will calm down and try to create an opening rather than pass through gaps that don''t exist. Francis hasn''t played any killer balls from distance, but that touch through for Leon "iron shins" McKenzie against the Toon was perfect. I would like to see more short, crisp, clinical balls and less sweeping, raking, air balls.

i think we should keep it on the ground like arsenal.......

I agree with you bananaman. after my trip to old trafford i thought the only thing DB had in common was his ability to pass to a red shirt but he was better on Wednesday.

Many of the points on this thread I agree with, however it is the off the ball running that is so poor and it creates problems for the holder of the ball, making oneself available and seen is what makes the Arsenals and the Real-Madrids so effective and therefore the game is actually easier to play. The long-ball has its place, if only to introduce effective variation in the approach, especially when the opposing defence is at sixes and sevens. This was an option at Newcastle at times and for a time worked, but as has been said, more forward and diagonal passing please if we are to be more effective. Well done the lads up to present, keep it up, can''t fault your effort and work rate. I, for one am proud of you.OTBC!!!!

beelsie you are right that the long ball does very much have a place in the game - its how you mix it up that counts - I have seen many goals for the gooners and manure that have resulted from a quick punt upfield.

I hadnt thought about the movement of the side but we are quite a static team and again it is an arsenal strength - how many time have we seen pires/ljungberg/lauren/viera bursting through defences to latch onto a ball - and that movement happends all over the pitch, not just when on the attack.

Come on worthy, can we stretch to a pay as you play contract for Djorkaeff?

OK - I''ll put the numbers dopwn and leave them alone for a couple of weeks and never mention the Frenchmans name again!

COME ON YOU YELLOWS!

zipper, remember this time last season, when we were all clamouring for a striker, look what happened...............

i am sure nige has someone in mind, djorkaeff would be a sensational signing! First wiz, is this the person you have seen in your balls?