Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

The most important thing in football is not football!

I don''t even know if I want us to get to the Premier League[:O]

I was going to post a long winded thread about, money, foreign investment and television rights etc etc.

Football has not been the same since, well the Premier League commenced.

I know this has been discussed a million times before, but I think there will come a point where there is a some kind of slump, if this happens I hope that it leads to some rule changes.

Is ''proper'' football now only Leagues One and below?

I was listening to the Legends on local radio last night and one caller was discussing the shenanigans at NUFC.  She was saying that her Grandfather used to get the bus from Ashington to the game with Jackie Milburn, Lovely old jobbie.................................

There will only be a slump when the viewers stop watching sky sports ! I am listening to the radio through my PC, Peterborough 2 Bristol Rovers 1 H/T, end to end exciting game..........real football !

[quote user="Canary Pirate"]There will only be a slump when the viewers stop watching sky sports ! I am listening to the radio through my PC, Peterborough 2 Bristol Rovers 1 H/T, end to end exciting game..........real football ![/quote]

3-2 sounds like a corker

I am one of these watching it on Sky Sorts... and I can sure say this is some EXCITING football. 3-2, defensive blunders, forwards making fantastic runs and looking sharp... and a certain Joe Lewis lacking in communication :)

Great game... sometimes I find league 1 football more entertaining than the Premiership

I think that the Man City business emphasises how out of hand the whole thing is. When I first went to watch the Canaries in the late 60s it was very much a people''s game,and was cheap enough to be accessible to all.It will be difficult for the younger people on here to comprehend what was a very different world; standing on unprotected terraces in the pouring rain,waiting for the half time scores to go up on a board and then having to take your life  in your hands in the huge crush on the road between the main stand and Boulton and Paul''s warehouses opposite.It was pretty uncomfortable at times,but there was a real sense of the team being part of the community,because players weren''t moving around as much as they do today and teams were assembled over a period of years,not months.

Now the big four can just flex their financial muscle to get who they want,while those in the lower divisions,and even those in the lower reaches of the Premiership, live off the scraps from the rich man''s table,and all the time the true working class supporter is squeezed out.The problem will come when the big businessmen find new toys to play with,and the prawn sandwich brigade find a new place to be seen.Does anyone really think that the Abramovichs of this world care about the game in its own right?

It saddens me beyond belief,but I really do fear the worst when the bubble inevitably bursts.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

I don''t even know if I want us to get to the Premier League[:O]

I was going to post a long winded thread about, money, foreign investment and television rights etc etc.

Football has not been the same since, well the Premier League commenced.

I know this has been discussed a million times before, but I think there will come a point where there is a some kind of slump, if this happens I hope that it leads to some rule changes.

Is ''proper'' football now only Leagues One and below?

I was listening to the Legends on local radio last night and one caller was discussing the shenanigans at NUFC.  She was saying that her Grandfather used to get the bus from Ashington to the game with Jackie Milburn, Lovely old jobbie.................................

[/quote]

BTW wor Jackie wasn''t spectating, he was Newcastle''s star striker!

I used to watch the Scottish League and think thank God we aren''t like that, the dominance of a couple of teams, makes it almost all a bit pointless really, we have got that now[:(]

Just to update you norfolkbroadslim, its now 4-3 Peterborough, this game gets better and better... at least we have one league in England to be truly proud... League One :)

[quote user="Carrow Roeder"]Just to update you norfolkbroadslim, its now 4-3 Peterborough, this game gets better and better... at least we have one league in England to be truly proud... League One :)[/quote]

Jesus 5-4!!

[quote user="Carrow Roeder"]Just to update you norfolkbroadslim, its now 4-3 Peterborough, this game gets better and better... at least we have one league in England to be truly proud... League One :)[/quote]

Assuming no more goals ??????

Rovers league form so far...

Home   Carlisle          Lost     2 - 3

Away   Brighton         Drew   1 - 1

Home   Hereford       Won     6 - 1

Away   Leeds            Drew    2 - 2

Away   Peterboro''     Lost      4 - 5

And I make Joe Lewis man of the match ( and he''s let in 4 !!!!! )

This is not a good time for football but it''s just a passing phase.

Overseas owners piling into English clubs spells only one thing to me: they plan a breakaway worldwide league involving at least half of the current Premiership, not just the big four.  The Man City takeover signalled the point of no return afaic, and in five or six years it will have come to pass.  Games will be played all over the world to a TV audience of billions. 

But provided the football authorities get their heads out of the sand (a big ask I know) and terrestrial TV grabs the opportunity with both hands, there is scope for the English league that is left to become healthier and more genuinely competitive than it is now.  I think we have a right to expect Norwich City to be a significant force in that league.  If we go on as we are that won''t happen.  Get significant new investment from someone who is willing to take us forward and there is every chance that it will.