Sign in to follow this  
lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)

roeders column E.N

Did everyone read roeders weekly column in the evening news? He made so great points to all of you that have concerns about the amount of loans we have. in lupoli, bertrand, kennedy, and siberski i bet we have 5-6million pounds of talent there. Roeder said that if we''d bought all our players we would have never had the quality we have, and i absoulutley agree.

Yep, I''ve made that point 100s of times, but the unsatisfied among us don''t seem to care about that! Like I said in my post yesterday ''A Window of Opportunity'' Glenn has done an amazing job on the budget he has.

I understand what you are saying and up to a point I agree, but the key points are that we have £5 or 6 M of somebody elses talent, we are paying other clubs to put their players in the "shop window", at any point in the loan one, two, three or even all could be recalled, at the end of the season our squad is reduced by at least a third (and that is without any permanent players being out of contract) and we have to start all over again. The board should be looking for investment to back GR`s judgement, I suspect we could have got Ched Evans and Ryan Bertrand for a fraction of what they will cost now, following their succesful stints on loan at Norwich. I accept that loans are part and parcel of the game, and I accept we are a selling club, but we are running out of players to sell...

[quote user="timncfc"]true i think he has done very well to get who he has, well done GR, lets hope we gel soon[/quote]After the Birmingham performance, at the very least, you think we haven''t gelled?? [:O]

[quote user="Clipped Canary"][quote user="timncfc"]true i think he has done very well to get who he has, well done GR, lets hope we gel soon[/quote]

After the Birmingham performance, at the very least, you think we haven''t gelled?? [:O]
[/quote]

We didnt win!!!

[quote user="Clipped Canary"][quote user="timncfc"]true i think he has done very well to get who he has, well done GR, lets hope we gel soon[/quote]

After the Birmingham performance, at the very least, you think we haven''t gelled?? [:O]
[/quote]

was good put we now got a big man up front got to play a little different now,not too much but we not far away

the only problem with loan players they have to go back so you spend the season gelling for it all to be thrown out of the window the following season and have to start again !!

I''ve thought this many times. For one example, Bertrand. He is a class player. Must be worth around 2 million. This is the second season we''ve had him here. We''ve paid no transfer fee, and just paid his wages for last season and this season. It''s like giving someone a 2 year contract but without the huge transfer fee to get him here!

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]

I understand what you are saying and up to a point I agree, but the key points are that we have £5 or 6 M of somebody elses talent, we are paying other clubs to put their players in the "shop window", at any point in the loan one, two, three or even all could be recalled, at the end of the season our squad is reduced by at least a third (and that is without any permanent players being out of contract) and we have to start all over again. The board should be looking for investment to back GR`s judgement, I suspect we could have got Ched Evans and Ryan Bertrand for a fraction of what they will cost now, following their succesful stints on loan at Norwich. I accept that loans are part and parcel of the game, and I accept we are a selling club, but we are running out of players to sell...

[/quote]SoB you hit the nail on the head.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]

[/quote]

Take some of those points but what on earth makes you "suspect we could have got Ched Evans and Ryan Bertrand?" That''s just pure speculation. I suspect that if we had secured them on a permanent basis it would have cost us £5m which a) we don''t have and b) would leave us with the 8 senior pro''s Roeder referred to once we''d let all the players go, plus Evans and Bertrand and no money for anyone else. They''re good but they''yre not good enough to replace the majority of our squad on their own! That''s just Roeder''s point - if he had tried to secure even one of those players on a permanent transfer, he''d have no money left for anyone else.

Having said that, it is possible that some of these loans, could in time become permanent. Just look at Huckerby. Loans put the loan club at an advantage when it comes to trying to secure them, plus i think taking loans from clubs like Chelsea is a good idea since the loanees are likely to continue to struggle to break in to the first team when their billionaire owners are out playing fantasy football chasing after roberto carlos, ronaldo, kaka, torres and co. And that means the loan club is in prime position when the loanee looks for a move. The fact is, we can have a stronger squad using loans than not using them, so i''m all for it.

GR''s points  were clearly made and well argued. He knows what he''s doing: working within some very limited confines. Good luck to him.

Very conspicuous by its absence however was any mention of the travails surrounding the club at director level. Hardly surprising though.

A separate issue: on reflection it must be said that for all its shortcomings Archant, the EDP, the EEN and the Pinkun DO provide the people of Norfolk and Norwich with a very good service and nearly all for free, via the web. Of course the group may swerve some big questions from time to time. Nature of the regional publishing business I''m afraid. There''s always room for those questions here though. Well done Archant. Keep it up.

a1canary - With all due respect you need to read my post as a whole, rather than cherry pick bits of it to make your point. The overall thrust of the post is that the Norwich City board should be looking for investment such that they can back GRs judgement on players with permanent signings rather than loans. In his column GR has indicated a value for likes of Betrand at todays market prices, my point is what would Plastic have been worth before he gained the experience he did by playing for us on loan. Of course we cannot afford the likes of Lupoli, Betrand etc at the moment, but their is a good chance that with the right level of investment we could, both players have been quoted as saying they would like to make the move permanent. If you use somebody like Sebastian Larsson as a barometer, he was signed by Arsenal as a 16 year old, before eventually going on a season long loan to Birmingham in the Prem, he has scored goals at that level and is a full Swedish international, his transfer fee to Birmingham was £1 million. Plastic is also quoted as saying that he acknowledges that he was unlikely to break into the Chelsea first team, so yes I do suspect that if we had dangled some money in front of Chelsea we could have bought him and yes I do suspect that his transfer fee back then would have been lower than it would be now without the benefit of a succesful loan spell with us and the resultant England U21 call up. As for Ched I concede that it may have been harder to prise him away from Man City but then again if GR had the required level of investment to get us out of this league who knows??....

The board should be looking for investment in order that glen can buy (rather than loan) the players he wants? Well how can anyone disagree with that!? Of course they should be, and they are doing so.

I want a better paid job and i''m looking for one right now. I haven''t got one yet, so for the time being i have to make to with renting a house. It ain''t always that easy to get what you want you know!!

I honestly think this is to some degree where the Smiths have gone wrong over the last few years.

The old story of paying peanuts and getting monkeys.

Under Mr C yes we were in the prem but we consistantly bought players at similar levels to the transfers we are paying today and obviously the list of players sold for significant profits is endless.

The few times we have bought in real quality under the Smiths we have done OK in terms of resale but we have concentrated on getting players as cheaply as possible.

If we truly have faith in a manager we should look to give him 5 Million+ in the hope that a shrewd manager will turn that 5 million into 15 million and replace those players with another crop and still have significant funds to spare. I think this is where prudence with ambition went off the rails.

Filling in with loans is a neccesary evil but we are clearly too far down that road.

With only 5 or 6 players in the team that are owned by the club it is unlikely we will be able to continue to make a transfer profit as we have for the last 30 years.