Sign in to follow this  
city-till-i-die

NCFC WORST SIGNING?????

[quote user="StokeCanary"][quote user="Canaries Canary"]

I had a conversation with Robert Chase about the signing of Darren Beckford a few years ago. Apparently Chase went round to Beckfords house before he had signed to talk over the deal. Beckfords house was a complete tip and ol'' Mr Chase left with the feeling that if he couldn''t keep his house in order then how could he keep his football in order. The manager (can''t remember if it was Stringer or Walker) convincted him he was a great signing and so he agreed. Beckford turned out to be crap and Chase never spent on a big money player again. The begining of the end.

That is why Beckford was the worst signing ever.

[/quote]

I will always remember my first game at Carrow Road - against Everton in the early 90s. My old man was moaning about Beckford before the game - ''what a donkey, a complete waste of money etc, etc'' Beckford proceeded to score a hatrick in a 4-3 win!!! I do believe that this was just a one-off performance by Beckford, however....[H]

[/quote]And that was a pre-season friendly I believe!

[quote user="Belaugh Yellow"]

Good player has to be Ashley Ward, scored a hat-trick agaisnt Bradford in the cup early or late 90''s.

Worst player in my eyes has to be Fatty Patty, not liking him, doesn''t brign anything to the team, still has to prove to me he can be a good player.

[/quote]

Bit unfair on MP if you ask me. He has been playing out of his skin so far this season!! Worst ever player for me has to be Peter Thorne- he was so bad it was disgusting!!!

[quote user="Canaries Canary"][quote user="StokeCanary"][quote user="Canaries Canary"]

I had a conversation with Robert Chase about the signing of Darren Beckford a few years ago. Apparently Chase went round to Beckfords house before he had signed to talk over the deal. Beckfords house was a complete tip and ol'' Mr Chase left with the feeling that if he couldn''t keep his house in order then how could he keep his football in order. The manager (can''t remember if it was Stringer or Walker) convincted him he was a great signing and so he agreed. Beckford turned out to be crap and Chase never spent on a big money player again. The begining of the end.

[/quote]

I will always remember my first game at Carrow Road - against Everton in the early 90s. My old man was moaning about Beckford before the game - ''what a donkey, a complete waste of money etc, etc'' Beckford proceeded to score a hatrick in a 4-3 win!!! I do believe that this was just a one-off performance by Beckford, however....[H]

[/quote]

And that was a pre-season friendly I believe!
[/quote]

I have checked and it was a league game...it doesn''t say who scored but I am 100% sure Beckford scored 3 of the 4:

http://www.soccerbase.com/head2.sd?team2id=942&team1id=1855

[quote user="StokeCanary"][quote user="Canaries Canary"][quote user="StokeCanary"][quote user="Canaries Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And that was a pre-season friendly I believe!
[/quote]

I have checked and it was a league game...it doesn''t say who scored but I am 100% sure Beckford scored 3 of the 4:

http://www.soccerbase.com/head2.sd?team2id=942&team1id=1855

[/quote]

he did... it was 1991-92 season... Beardsley and Mo Jonstone scored for Everton.. think Beardo got 2.... it was our 1st game atfer the FA cup 1/4 final replay vs the saints...

we''d only go on to score 3 more goals in our final 9 league games.... i''d of swapped all those for 2 in the semi against the Mackems.... oh well.

jas :)

[quote user="Cannycanary"]

Steve Walsh what a waste of space (and we''re talking a lot of space) has to be the worst signing he made Hartson look mobile!!

[/quote]

why doesnt the kitty Website have a counter showing how much has been donated thus far?

Dont you think it will encourage more people to donate if they can actually see whats in the pot at the moment?

Will the kitty money be used for Agents fees, signing on fees and sell on clauses?

jas :)

Lol Simon Tracey! i remember that mistake he made when he came out of his box to get the ball, dribbled it back in, then fell over going to pick it up and remarkably in the same movement nudged the ball across goal for none other than Dion Dublin to tap in! He was useless!Ward was good for most of his time here, and that 5-3 game vs Bradford on a cold tuesday night is my favourite game ever, and that wins over the Man U game 3 yrs ago, me being mascot, the 2 5-0''s before Walker got the chop (never understood the logic there) and a few other good ones.Worst and most disappointing are 2 different things tho, as Beckford was a much better player than say Dean Coney, but both were equally disappointing.I was disappointed with the likes of Matthew Rush, Louis Jean and Emblem because of injury, but i wouldn''t say u can put them as our worst signing.For high expectations only to be disappointed, i''d say Brellier, Beckford and Jonson. That Muznic guy sounds bad though

7 pages and no-one''s mentioned Keith Briggs

Signed by Worthy from Stockport for £65,000, he made his first appearance against Stoke in 2003 and lasted 45 minutes before being substituted....never to be seen again.

I''m not saying he''s the worst ever but he certainly deserves a mention in the "Hall of Shame"

You probably have to look at performance in relation to cost.

Briggs may have given a bad return, but only £65k was spent. For me it would have to be Matthew Rush, close to a £1m quid and injured very quickly and career over, but if we got an insurance pay out the transfer would not have been so bad.

[quote user="Smudger"]Delia Smith and MWJ... [;)][/quote]

Fact is the club didn''t sign them, they helped us out of the Sh.. when we needed it, they have made mistakes in the past with managers but we have a better manager now. If Mr Cullum wanted to buy the club and spend obscene amounts of cash he would have done it.

Reality is, it aint going to happen and if Delia left we could find ourselves far worse off. The grass isn''t always greener.

[quote user="jetstream"]7 pages and no-one''s mentioned Keith Briggs

Signed by Worthy from Stockport for £65,000, he made his first appearance against Stoke in 2003 and lasted 45 minutes before being substituted....never to be seen again.

I''m not saying he''s the worst ever but he certainly deserves a mention in the "Hall of Shame"[/quote]I saw him play against Bradford in the first game of that season

[quote user="Karl Pilkington"]You probably have to look at performance in relation to cost.

Briggs may have given a bad return, but only £65k was spent. For me it would have to be Matthew Rush, close to a £1m quid and injured very quickly and career over, but if we got an insurance pay out the transfer would not have been so bad.[/quote]Thought he was only £400k or soBiggest disappointment for me in that sense is Alex Notman, i reckon we''d of had a decent player if his career wasn''t ruined by injury

[quote user="Cannycanary"]

[quote user="Smudger"]Delia Smith and MWJ... [;)][/quote]

Fact is the club didn''t sign them, they helped us out of the Sh.. when we needed it, they have made mistakes in the past with managers but we have a better manager now. If Mr Cullum wanted to buy the club and spend obscene amounts of cash he would have done it.

Reality is, it aint going to happen and if Delia left we could find ourselves far worse off. The grass isn''t always greener.

[/quote]

oh dear oh dear oh dear... why do you have such a fear of the unknown Canny?

They saw it as a business opportunity dear boy (just as Mr Cullum does)... he is trying to get control for best price (allowing as much money as possible to go in to strengthening the team), while Delia and MIchael are simply clinging on to try and make as much profit as possible on their initial investment.

Believe me there is only one thing that is going to happen... it is just a question of time and money.

''Believe me there is only one thing that is going to happen... it is just a question of time and money''.

Loudon Wainwright 3rd , ''Glad to know you''ve got religion''... 

I remmember a guy we signed called Andrew Brownrigg, I think it was John Deehan who signed him and he came from Hereford, he''d played a handful of games for them and we paid £100,000. My mate who worked at a hotel at the time met him and his girlfriend just before he signed, his girlfriend said she couldnt believe he was signing for a prem team as she had always though he was a crap footballer. Needless to say i dont think he made a single apperance. Perhaps we should have hired the girlfriend as a scout.

Other stinkers for me Victor Segura, Raymond De Waard and Darren Beckford who where all pretty shocking.

It has to be Darren Beckford. Without a doubt. He was bloody awful and cost us a fortune; £925,000 in 1991!!! 13 goals in 49 appearances.http://www.ex-canaries.co.uk/players/beckford.htm

Best Value signings would have to be Culverhouse at £50K, Crook at 80K and Bowen 90K. Three of the best players to ever play for NCFC with over a 1000 appearances between them during our golden period.

Best signings for the impact that they have had on the club would be Martin Peters and Darren Huckerby.

Worst signings would be Trevor Benjamin, Fernando Derveld, Peter Thorne, Willie Young, Simon Tracey & Steve Walsh.

Worst Value would be Jonson (£800K), Sheron (£800K), Milligan £800K. Personally, I always quite liked Beckford but he was weighed down by the price tag - had we got him for £300K he might have been a big success.