Sign in to follow this  
city-till-i-die

NCFC WORST SIGNING?????

jason jarrett             

lightweight ,disinterested, lazy, just absolute rubbish  and worthy talked him up like it was a real coup getting him from wigan,at least  carl robinson scored the odd goal  and filled in at centre back in the cup at blackpool,  jarrett did not do a thing[:@]

[quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"]

[quote user="sam"]Mark Fotheringham[/quote]

Just a ridiculous answer.

For me, got to be Mattieu Louis Jean.  

[/quote]

for playing 1 game for us then??? what a stupid answer! how the hell can you judge someone on 1 game?

in that case im going to say Kris Renton is the next Ronaldo....

jas :)

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]He played two games Jas so clearly that''s enough time to judge how good he is [;)]
[/quote]

well of course! how could i of been so naive.. 2 games make a players career!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]He played two games Jas so clearly that''s enough time to judge how good he is [;)]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, Jas, I would suggest his lack of playing time supports my opinions. In a time when we were desperate for a right back, we turned to Andy Hughes rather than him.

What does that say about him?

Beyond that, I base my opinions on their impact for the club. A player like, for example, Andy Hughes was by far and away one of the worst technical players I''ve ever encountered. But his attitude and effort made up for that.

MLJ clearly costed the club a fair whack in wages, had no impact for the club either on or off the field and was symptomatic of the decline of this football club. People whinge about Jarrett and Thorne - and rightly so - but at least they were involved in the squad. This guy was so bad, even our ill-fated managers didn''t think him good enough to make the starting 11 at a time when we relied on a midfielder for right back.

That for me makes him our worst player ever.

Coincidentally, the following story has just appeared on Rick Waghorn’s site, about one of our old favourites, Peter Thorne. 

http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/full_article.asp?i=4087 

And my nomination for an all time worst-player is Ulf Ottoson.

Good player has to be Ashley Ward, scored a hat-trick agaisnt Bradford in the cup early or late 90''s.

Worst player in my eyes has to be Fatty Patty, not liking him, doesn''t brign anything to the team, still has to prove to me he can be a good player.

[quote user="Belaugh Yellow"]

Worst player in my eyes has to be Fatty Patty, not liking him, doesn''t brign anything to the team, still has to prove to me he can be a good player.[/quote]

Again, statements like this just amaze me. How on earth can you say that about Pattison when players like MLJ, Jarrett, Thorne, Walsh, Cottee, Dervald, Brellier, Strihavka, Coney, Muzinic, John Hartson, Murray, Sherwood, De Waard, Beckford, Simon Tracey have all graced their presence?

Another name - anyone remember Pat Boyle from Everton? God he was hopeless!

It has to be Dean Coney .... we knew he would be useless before he arrived but his incompetence surpassed even our expectations of what a Sunday pub footballer could achieve. His immobility resembled a post box and his finishing skills were some way behind what the GPO would have achieved! Darren Beckford has to take the prize once value for money is considered .... £900,000 as I recall when that was real money even in the top division at the time.

I''m hoping my memory is playing tricks here, but did we ever play Shaun Carey and Peter Grant in the same team?

Now that was a bad, bad time!

[quote user="TheMarshmallowMan"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, Jas, I would suggest his lack of playing time supports my opinions. In a time when we were desperate for a right back, we turned to Andy Hughes rather than him.

What does that say about him?

Beyond that, I base my opinions on their impact for the club. A player like, for example, Andy Hughes was by far and away one of the worst technical players I''ve ever encountered. But his attitude and effort made up for that.

MLJ clearly costed the club a fair whack in wages, had no impact for the club either on or off the field and was symptomatic of the decline of this football club. People whinge about Jarrett and Thorne - and rightly so - but at least they were involved in the squad. This guy was so bad, even our ill-fated managers didn''t think him good enough to make the starting 11 at a time when we relied on a midfielder for right back.

That for me makes him our worst player ever.

[/quote]

that might have something to do with the fact that he tore his hamstring and missed the entire season as a result.. did you expect him to play with 1 leg?

We used andy hughes over Jurgen Colin too... who returned to Holland signed for the Dutch champions and played in Europe... so what does that say about him?

David Smith was terrible and he even was firts choice in front of Ruel Fox  at right wing for long periods lol Mr Stringer!

Best ever signing Ashley Ward ,Mark Robins,Darren Huckerby all of them make big impact from very first moment.

No idea why some one put Sherwood on worst list but he was decent players especialy after chnage striker posision to middfiled so no doybt far away from crap player. 

[quote user="ched seven"]

jason jarrett             

lightweight ,disinterested, lazy, just absolute rubbish  and worthy talked him up like it was a real coup getting him from wigan,at least  carl robinson scored the odd goal  and filled in at centre back in the cup at blackpool,  jarrett did not do a thing[:@]

[/quote]

Carl Robinson scored 2 goals in 47 apps! [:)] I was at the game in Blackpool where he had to play centre back - and it was the best performance I have ever seen from him in a NCFC shirt!

This may be controversial but I though Mattias Jonson was shocking...and he has Sweden caps!!!

I had a conversation with Robert Chase about the signing of Darren Beckford a few years ago. Apparently Chase went round to Beckfords house before he had signed to talk over the deal. Beckfords house was a complete tip and ol'' Mr Chase left with the feeling that if he couldn''t keep his house in order then how could he keep his football in order. The manager (can''t remember if it was Stringer or Walker) convincted him he was a great signing and so he agreed. Beckford turned out to be crap and Chase never spent on a big money player again. The begining of the end.

That is why Beckford was the worst signing ever.

[quote user="Canaries Canary"]

I had a conversation with Robert Chase about the signing of Darren Beckford a few years ago. Apparently Chase went round to Beckfords house before he had signed to talk over the deal. Beckfords house was a complete tip and ol'' Mr Chase left with the feeling that if he couldn''t keep his house in order then how could he keep his football in order. The manager (can''t remember if it was Stringer or Walker) convincted him he was a great signing and so he agreed. Beckford turned out to be crap and Chase never spent on a big money player again. The begining of the end.

[/quote]

how many years ago was that?

[quote user="Boris"]

David Smith was terrible and he even was firts choice in front of Ruel Fox  at right wing for long periods lol Mr Stringer!

Best ever signing Ashley Ward ,Mark Robins,Darren Huckerby all of them make big impact from very first moment.

No idea why some one put Sherwood on worst list but he was decent players especialy after chnage striker posision to middfiled so no doybt far away from crap player. 

[/quote]

ashley ward was shi*te mate! Towards the end of his time with us he could barely run let alone score a goal! i wasnt sad to see him go.. Lumbering, unco-ordinated oaf!

[quote user="Canaries Canary"]

[/quote]

I will always remember my first game at Carrow Road - against Everton in the early 90s. My old man was moaning about Beckford before the game - ''what a donkey, a complete waste of money etc, etc'' Beckford proceeded to score a hatrick in a 4-3 win!!! I do believe that this was just a one-off performance by Beckford, however....[H]

Worst signings....

Mike Sheron-(did ok when he left us though)

Matthew Rush-(cost a bit at the time) played a few minutes, then injured (not his fault i know)

Pape Diop-was a defender who rioch also tried up front and described him as having the potential to be the next ian wright?!

Steve Walsh-the less said about him the better

Fernando Derveld and Raymond DeWaard-great hamilton signings!

Sure there are a few more.

[quote user="Vern"]Paul Dalglish has to rate highly as one of the worst ever. Ade Akinbiyi and Ian Henderson were personally shocking but we didnt technically sign them I suppose.[/quote]Paul Dalglish is a good call. I''m also with the guy who said Mattias Jonson - a million for that headless chicken?!?! Yes he was a tryer, but he couldn''t cross, score, shoot, pass or tackle. He was basically a (relatively) quick Andy Hughes.

Crikey we''ve had some shockers,

Jason Jarrett was bloody awful....in fact he was worse than that. Fernando Derveld had a cracking home debut but was bloody useless afterwards. Someone else on this thread did point out that just about anyone Hamilton signed was cack.....with the exception of Anselin who wasn''t actually that bad.

Paul Daglish was crap, but Trevor Benjamin and Elvis Hammond are my winners, even though they were on loan, they''re quite possibly the worst professional footballers I have ever seen.