Sign in to follow this  
city-till-i-die

NCFC WORST SIGNING?????

I`ll go along with Derveld,De waard and the other hamilton crap,brought in to drag us down! With regards to players such as Crighton and Benstead ,you cant class keepers who were essentially Greeno and Gunnys understudies as poor signings as they had a lot to live up to when needed. Dean Coney was poor to say the least but not as bad as Hartson-the ultimate ineffective strike force!

[quote user="Munich 93"]

I`ll go along with Derveld,De waard and the other hamilton crap,brought in to drag us down! With regards to players such as Crighton and Benstead ,you cant class keepers who were essentially Greeno and Gunnys understudies as poor signings as they had a lot to live up to when needed. Dean Coney was poor to say the least but not as bad as Hartson-the ultimate ineffective strike force!

[/quote]

I thought Benstead was here before Gunny? You cant defend Crighton though, terrible...was it Crewe away with a real howler if memory serves.

[quote user="Tony Da''Wonderful"][quote user="Munich 93"]

I thought Benstead was here before Gunny? You cant defend Crighton though, terrible...was it Crewe away with a real howler if memory serves.

[/quote]You`re right he(Benstead) came from qpr just before wembley 85 and was kept out by Woodsy and then Gunny(when he still had his hair!)Crewe away was a freak result, but dont forget we might not have signed that chain smokin winger we bought off Crewe if we`ed have "hung on" for the win!

[quote user="dylanisabaddog"]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Tim Sherwood[/quote]

Tim Sherwood was agreat player but had a huge attitude problem. 

After he left us he won the Premier League with Blackburn so he can''t have been that bad

[/quote]

I didn''t say that he didn''t have some technical ability, I said he was our worst signing

Sorry Tony,i seemed to have ballsed up the quote thing-if you get my drift.

I am new to this forum,I`m not a binner,I`ve been attending both home,away and abroad since `76.I`ve seen some quality and also some crap but i forgot to mention in my earlier post the name of a certain Thomas Helveg,not because he was particularly crap but mainly because,along with that other useless **** Doherty he symbolised why we didnt have a chance in 94-95 season!!! cheers Worthy,you should have given Malky a run,at least he had an aerial presence in the box!!

[quote user="Dwayne Dibley"][quote user="mickey phelans tash"]raymond de waard.. darren beckford[/quote]

Darren Beckford!!!.......good call

[/quote]

Darren Beckford''s goal scoring record wasn''t actually that bad.

[quote user="Munich 93"]

Sorry Tony,i seemed to have ballsed up the quote thing-if you get my drift.

I am new to this forum,I`m not a binner,I`ve been attending both home,away and abroad since `76.I`ve seen some quality and also some crap but i forgot to mention in my earlier post the name of a certain Thomas Helveg,not because he was particularly crap but mainly because,along with that other useless **** Doherty he symbolised why we didnt have a chance in 94-95 season!!! cheers Worthy,you should have given Malky a run,at least he had an aerial presence in the box!!

[/quote]

i meant 2004/2005 not 94/95....doh!

We read about the worst signings how about one of the best whom we learn has just passed away Tommy Johnston who put two goals passed Arsenal at Highbury on winters day in the 4th  round of the cup. We had already missed a penalty and had our best player  Bobby Brennan sent off. A cold wind was blowing the snow into our faces and the gunners fans were taking the micky out of us, then a third divison. Tommy with his two headed goals turned it around and we won 2-1. Those days we stood with the home supporters. Said an old cockney '''' I'' will eat my hat if you lot do any good today and true to his word with some encouragement from us he attempted to do just that.

A great team display that those who saw it will never forget. Rest in peace Tommy Johnston

Best Signing - from when I can actually remember watching Norwich (despite the UEFA Cup run, and both "recent" FA Cup Semis taking place while I have been alive) it would have to be Huckerby.

Worst - There are a few it has to be said, I''m going to go for Keith Scott.

got to be Car Robinson... the worst player i have ever seen playing for us.. i remember someone calling up Canary call saying he was our best player who could set Earnie away for goal in an instant.. the chap was either insane/High/Drunk or on a P*ss take

jas :)

Worse signing a keeper called AntonioGallego came from Cambridge as an emergency had one senior game. a shocker and it was his first and last. it would have been around 1947

[quote user="hardley"]Worse signing a keeper called AntonioGallego came from Cambridge as an emergency had one senior game. a shocker and it was his first and last. it would have been around 1947
[/quote]add simon tracey to that...played once and let in 5or 6 goals against everton...lol...what mare of a debut

I witnessed Dean Coney''s goal against Villa, and think i have it on vhs somewhere!!!
How about John Deehan as best signing, no-one mentioned him yet!

I also remember Drazen Muznic, Henrik Mortensen also came to CR with big reputation and i wouldnt say he''s worst signing but never lived up to expectation!

[quote user="dylanisabaddog"]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Tim Sherwood[/quote]

Tim Sherwood was agreat player but had a huge attitude problem. 

After he left us he won the Premier League with Blackburn so he can''t have been that bad

[/quote]

I didn''t say that he did not have any ability, I said he was our worst signing[;)]

Tony Cottee did score a goal for us, see link!

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4161/is_20001022/ai_n14518369

Unluckiest signing-probably John O''Neill, crocked not long into his debut by John Fashanu and that was it!

Worst? Anyone remember Willie Young?

Thomas Helveg came with a worldwide reputation and an impeccable playing history, but, for us-well, it just didn''t work out. That same season, the Swedish international-Mattias Jonson-was a bit of a disappointment.

Brian McGovern came with a lot of hype about how he was a big prospect from Arsenal-oh well. Suppose he did get the goal at Tranmere that helped keep us up that season.

Erik Fugelstadt was never the worse Norwich player ever, but he''s bubbling under. Another one who came with a lot of promise and hype, but....

I watched Henrik Mortensen play for us in a friendly at Sutton and he was light years above anyone else on the pitch, but he, AGAIN, was never the player we all thought, at the time, he might have been.

Ulf  Ottossen did a Cottee and scored against Sheffield United in a short spell with us-remember him?

I think one of the worse was Marc Libbra-can''t dount his popularity at the time of signing, nor that goal vs Man City, but, again, a bot of a let down.

Theres so many! Unlucky ones, disappointing ones, the ones who got away-but its Willie Young for me!

Mattias Jonson

I scrolled through all three pages of this thread before I came to the name that was already on my mind - Drazen Muzinic. Only those who were followers in the John Bond days would know of him but he really was the most clueless player I have ever seen and I''ve seen a few since 1962. Jim Blair and Dean Coney would also be in my top ten but Muzinic is No. 1 by a long way especially as he cost good money. He played as though he''d never seen a football before. Totally and utterly u/s.

Ulf Ottossen gets my vote for worst. i remember he scored a 30 yard screamer of a volley for the reserves (that even made Anglia News) and then turned into second rate bag of spuds!!

PS if anyone mentions David Rocastle (RIP) as our worst ever signing I''ll be sending the boys round!

[quote user="Royal Anglian all the way"]brown surely he was totally useless
[/quote]

Chris Brown?

Much, much, much better than "totally useless".