Sign in to follow this  
Beauseant

Here's something interesting to debate

Given that we''re all bored today,and desperately waiting for news of a striker,and as I''ve always enjoyed poking sticks into termite mounds,here''s something for you all to debate.

We have two scenarios:

1 The club,with a limited budget, is not prepared to meet the price asked by Rosenborg to buy Iversen.This is subject to almost universal condemnation on this board,and seen as a sign of penny pinching at best,and incipient administration at worst.

2 Peter Cullum,a billionaire, is not prepared to offer the price asked to purchase the club.This is seen as shrewd business.

Discuss

or....how Delia is only in it for the money and not the club, and the longer she is here the longer NCFC are goin to go without Prem League football. she is taking money when she should be giving it!!! PC''s green army [:P]

Beauseant, I normally agree with your posts, but to be perfectly honest, we don''t know what happened in the boardroom between PC and Delia etc. I''ve read accounts that a meeting never even took place, PC was prepared to pay the full asking orice but Delia just didn''t want to sell, etc etc.

But I suppose we all like the idea of P Cullum coming on board as he''s a "billionaire" although he said he would only put £20mil into the club, and nothing else after that. If the board could cough up and pay Rosenborg the price dor Iversen, even though I don''t think Rosenborg are prepared to sell as he is their best striker, then I think the board would suddenly become a bit more popular, but at the moment, it''s not looking too good, we have NO money.

I think it is safe to assume that when a new approach is made for either Iversen or NCFC, the price for either will be lower than it is now.

But we need Iverson (or someone of his calibre) now and Cullum, can of course wait.

[quote user="bass is best"]or....how Delia is only in it for the money and not the club, and the longer she is here the longer NCFC are goin to go without Prem League football. she is taking money when she should be giving it!!! PC''s green army [:P][/quote]

This presumably is Delia the master criminal, risking it all to secretly and illegally take money out of the plc and covering her tracks by falsifying the accounts (or "cooking the books" - I''m sure that''s an old one?

[quote user="Beauseant"]

Given that we''re all bored today,and desperately waiting for news of a striker,and as I''ve always enjoyed poking sticks into termite mounds,here''s something for you all to debate.

We have two scenarios:

1 The club,with a limited budget, is not prepared to meet the price asked by Rosenborg to buy Iversen.This is subject to almost universal condemnation on this board,and seen as a sign of penny pinching at best,and incipient administration at worst.

2 Peter Cullum,a billionaire, is not prepared to offer the price asked to purchase the club.This is seen as shrewd business.

Discuss

[/quote]

Try these two scenarios:

1. Rosenborg, despite all their public utterences, have never intended to let go of Iverson.

2. Delia, despite all her public utterences, has never intended to let go of NCFC.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

We have two scenarios:

Discuss

[/quote]

1/

Disagree, the overall transfer budget policy is subject to some degree of condemnation from posters such as myself, because we always appear to be one of the paupers in this division, as opposed to one of the main players, which we should be. Iverson is just the final straw, if rumours are to be believed we have been playing brinkmanship all over the place, and losing. Witness all the noise re Ameobi, the failed bid for Paterson, the failed bid for Howard etc etc. Posters such as myself cannot seem to understand why other clubs - Coventry, Bristol City, Nottingham Forest, Burnley, etc etc have been able to come up with reasonably large sums of money to buy strikers, whilst we have not. One of the counter arguments is that they have rich chairmen etc, this is in direct opposition to another argument frequently used, that there isn''t anyone prepared to invest in Championship clubs! Another counter argument is to ridicule these clubs recent history, compared their spending over recent seasons to ours. I am interested in NOW, this season, we should have had a sizeable transfer kitty, as due to the incompetence last season we practically need to replace the entire team. What we don''t yet know is the cost of not getting a top striker in, In real terms that could be a hell of a lot more than paying a bit more for said striker.

2/

Ok, imagine your PC, you make overtures to the club, you are used to being treated with respect, after all you''re a pretty sharp businessman, one of the best in your field. You are shrewd enough to know that the club is in a degree of financial difficuly, and the business is not going forward, it''s going backwards. Which will be a crucial factor in what you are prepared to pay. (How much did Ken Bates sell Chelsea for?) Under those circumstances you may be expected to be welcomed, for discussions to be held, for an opportunity to fully explore your proposals. What do you get? Not even the courtesy of a meeting, an ultimatum to pay up top dollar, or sod off. I don''t know this 100%, but that''s what appears to have happened. You are also a bit frustrated at some of the misinformation being put forward, ie "there''s no one stupid enough to invest in the club" etc etc. So you wait, why should you reward those in charge who have failed so miserably? I believe he will get the club, but it will be on his terms, not Delia''s, we''re just the poor sods who will have to wait it out.

How about...Why does GR keep making promises that never materialise? e.g. "I know the player I want am he will be here within 7 days"

The differences in the two senarios are explained by the market.

Rosenburg have a good striker who they want to keep. If we want him we will have to pay thier price. The nearer the deadline gets the stronger Rosenburgs position becomes.

Cullum has offered £20m for a club that is deparate for cash. If we want his cash we will have to accept his offer. The longer it goes on the more obvious it becomes that NCFC doesn''t have a pot to p*ss in, more pressure builds on the board and the stronger Cullum''s position becomes. 

It looks to me like both Rosenburg and Cullum are showing shrewd business sense. I just wish it was us calling the shots once in a while.

[quote user="yellow hammer"][quote user="Beauseant"]

We have two scenarios:

Discuss

[/quote]

What comes to my mind is that Delia and Co Never expected GR to keep us in this league and has shot themselfs in the foot by making stupid comments like If any other mug wants to come in and take the club over they can have it tomorrow, and not forgetting Oh theres loads of Investment, the fans have long memories and will always remind her of these statements as long as she is here, I for one think she has been milking our club and if she sold up it would mean she would have to work for her living,

I think the general feeling throughout the fans is Peter Cullum would be the right chairman or owner to take our club back up to the Premier league and then into europe back where we belong, and if people who say that they are Norwich fans but would like Delia to stay they are not Norwich fans,Because with her we are going nowhere except lower league football. And a club always run on a shoestring,It is my opinion that she has no regards for the fan or the football, as long as her kitchen is working thats fine    

Try these two scenarios:

1. Rosenborg, despite all their public utterences, have never intended to let go of Iverson.

2. Delia, despite all her public utterences, has never intended to let go of NCFC.

[/quote]

I think a lot of clubs run at a loss, or at least have a hefty debt. It appears our board won''t come forward with the cash for a "quality" target man. Hence the reason GR has had to rely on the loan market, his contacts in premiership football, and bosman transfers. Look at what happened when Grant came. We bought a few lower division Scottish players and some old favourites came back. So, it''s clear there was bog all cash for him to play with and he was a terrible manager without a clue to boot. At least Glen has got a few decent players in. Our squad looks better than it did. I''m sure they''ve put aside a few quid, but clubs want ridiculous money for players. Especially when they know the buying club is desperate.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

We have two scenarios:

Discuss

[/quote]

Regardless of all the venom that''s forthcoming on this forum, it''s quite likely that neither of the above parties are particularly unhappy about their respective positions in 1 & 2. All the unhappiness expressed is coming from people who probably don''t have a shilling saved for a rainy day. It was ever thus. However, if some of the loudest critics actually had a few million pounds in the bank they would almost certainly not write out a cheque with seven figures to acquire a football player ( not just Iverson ) in today''s environment who, the minute after signing, usually have no sense of value as to what someone has put out for them, unless they feel certain they can get a good return on the investment. As I''ve always said, it''s easy to spend someone else''s money. A lot more churning of the emotions if it''s your money to be spent. Speculate to accumulate my arse. Let the people in charge decide what they are comfortable with. When they see an opportunity they can live with such as Ashton or Earnshaw then they have made that decision. You have to think a little more carefully when a player is coming to the end of his career and anything substantial you put out may be sunk money.

[quote user="Leftfootdad"]How about...Why does GR keep making promises that never materialise? e.g. "I know the player I want am he will be here within 7 days"[/quote]

Presumably because he thought it was a done deal?

We have two scenarios:

Discuss

[/quote]

Try these two scenarios:

[/quote]

1 If the board stumped up we would have a better team.As they won''t they do not have the best interests of the club at heart and are in it for their own ego gratification.

2 If Cullum stumped up we would have a better team.As he won''t he has the best interests of the club at heart and is not in it for his ego gratification.

My take

1.   Rosenburg have put a valuation on a player that is unrealistic.  Norwich, sensibly are refusing to pay the price quoted.  Its very similar to what happens in business every day of the week.  If someone has a job that would be more hassle than it is worth you put in a ridiculously high quote, if they refuse you win because you didnt want the job anyway, they accept and you laugh because despite not really wanting the job you are going to be paid well for it.  Rosenburg dont want to sell so they quote silly money, if Norwich pay they are laughing all the way to the bank, if they dont they are still laughing becuase they keep the player they didnt want to sell in the first place.

2.   Cullum.  His whole business history has been about buying companies on the cheap and selling them at profit, or turning them into successes.  I think he has approached NCFC with exactly the same tact in mind.  Only problem is NCFC is not a struggling company, success on the football pitch does not count.  Also we have the issue with the existing debt, Cullum didnt want to clear that by all account, were the lenders willing to renegotiate.  The truth is with this one is that no one really knows what went on and are extremely unlikely to find out.  And in spite of all this, how much success does £20m actually guarantee?  Answer - none....

[quote user="Beauseant"]

We have two scenarios:

Discuss

[/quote]

How about this one -

1/ The club urgently needs a striker, if not we are in the sh**. If we wait, we have more chance of going down than going up, as we will struggle to score goals, without which we can''t win matches. Customers will become discontent, season ticket renewals, shirt sales etc will be affected. Not shrewd business to wait. 

2/ PC does not urgently need Norwich, in fact the longer he leaves it the more lkely he is to get it cheaper. Shrewd business to wait.

[quote user="pete_norw"] I think the general feeling throughout the fans is Peter Cullum would be the right chairman or owner to take our club back up to the Premier league and then into europe back where we belong, and if people who say that they are Norwich fans but would like Delia to stay they are not Norwich fans,Because with her we are going nowhere except lower league football. And a club always run on a shoestring,It is my opinion that she has no regards for the fan or the football, as long as her kitchen is working thats fine. [/quote]Sorry but this is just complete twaddle. Are you sure your not a West Ham, Wolves or Newcastle fan with that talk of us belonging in europe as though we have a divine right to be there because we are Norwich City Football Club. I would love to be there myself but I don''t feel it''s our divine right like you seem to. You can be a Norwich fan and support Delia just as you can be a Norwich fan and not support Delia. I''m not a fan of Delia''s and I think she has done as much for this club as she can but who decides whether you are a fan of a club or not? You? I don''t think so. I know a few people that are and have been season ticket holders for nearly 20 years and they support Delia because they don''t know much about Cullum, his intentions or his offer, are you going to tell me they aren''t real fans? Probably I wouldn''t put it past some people on this board.As for Iversen if I was Rosenborg I wouldn''t sell him. He''s a top striker over there and they can earn more money to buy better players for next season with him than they can without him. I doubt we offered them enough to be more than what they could earn in the next few months from this seasons UEFA Cup or from the chance of qualifying for next seasons European competitions which all happen in the next couple of months for them.Davo

[quote user="Barclay_Boy"][quote user="Beauseant"]

We have two scenarios:

Discuss

[/quote]

1/

Disagree, the overall transfer budget policy is subject to some degree of condemnation from posters such as myself, because we always appear to be one of the paupers in this division, as opposed to one of the main players, which we should be. Iverson is just the final straw, if rumours are to be believed we have been playing brinkmanship all over the place, and losing. Witness all the noise re Ameobi, the failed bid for Paterson, the failed bid for Howard etc etc. Posters such as myself cannot seem to understand why other clubs - Coventry, Bristol City, Nottingham Forest, Burnley, etc etc have been able to come up with reasonably large sums of money to buy strikers, whilst we have not. One of the counter arguments is that they have rich chairmen etc, this is in direct opposition to another argument frequently used, that there isn''t anyone prepared to invest in Championship clubs! Another counter argument is to ridicule these clubs recent history, compared their spending over recent seasons to ours. I am interested in NOW, this season, we should have had a sizeable transfer kitty, as due to the incompetence last season we practically need to replace the entire team. What we don''t yet know is the cost of not getting a top striker in, In real terms that could be a hell of a lot more than paying a bit more for said striker.

2/

Ok, imagine your PC, you make overtures to the club, you are used to being treated with respect, after all you''re a pretty sharp businessman, one of the best in your field. You are shrewd enough to know that the club is in a degree of financial difficuly, and the business is not going forward, it''s going backwards. Which will be a crucial factor in what you are prepared to pay. (How much did Ken Bates sell Chelsea for?) Under those circumstances you may be expected to be welcomed, for discussions to be held, for an opportunity to fully explore your proposals. What do you get? Not even the courtesy of a meeting, an ultimatum to pay up top dollar, or sod off. I don''t know this 100%, but that''s what appears to have happened. You are also a bit frustrated at some of the misinformation being put forward, ie "there''s no one stupid enough to invest in the club" etc etc. So you wait, why should you reward those in charge who have failed so miserably? I believe he will get the club, but it will be on his terms, not Delia''s, we''re just the poor sods who will have to wait it out.

[/quote]

Christ, a sensible response! I am playing devil''s advocate to some extent and I also think that Cullum will get control (if he really wants it),and on his terms.I should also say that I have no problem with that if he''s going to inject transfer funds into the club. I don''t however buy the idea that he withdrew because Delia wasn''t keen to sell.This is a guy who has built an empire by buying businesses,not all of whose owners were willing to sell.Having had the joy of dealing with Towergate''s extremely aggressive legal department myself I know that they''re not easily deterred!

As for the transfer situation.,I''m as frustrated as you,but we don''t know what Roeder has available.There are stories that we bid £1m for Carroll,£500K for Howard and anywhere between £1m and £1.5M for Iversen.If that''s true there is money for the right person,but I agree with Roeder that there is no point in signing just anyone to placate the fans.I will reserve judgement until Tuesday morning,but clearly we need an injection of funds.

[quote user="Davo"][quote user="pete_norw"] I think the general feeling throughout the fans is Peter Cullum would be the right chairman or owner to take our club back up to the Premier league and then into europe back where we belong, and if people who say that they are Norwich fans but would like Delia to stay they are not Norwich fans,Because with her we are going nowhere except lower league football. And a club always run on a shoestring,It is my opinion that she has no regards for the fan or the football, as long as her kitchen is working thats fine. [/quote]

Sorry but this is just complete twaddle. Are you sure your not a West Ham, Wolves or Newcastle fan with that talk of us belonging in europe as though we have a divine right to be there because we are Norwich City Football Club. I would love to be there myself but I don''t feel it''s our divine right like you seem to. You can be a Norwich fan and support Delia just as you can be a Norwich fan and not support Delia. I''m not a fan of Delia''s and I think she has done as much for this club as she can but who decides whether you are a fan of a club or not? You? I don''t think so. I know a few people that are and have been season ticket holders for nearly 20 years and they support Delia because they don''t know much about Cullum, his intentions or his offer, are you going to tell me they aren''t real fans? Probably I wouldn''t put it past some people on this board.

As for Iversen if I was Rosenborg I wouldn''t sell him. He''s a top striker over there and they can earn more money to buy better players for next season with him than they can without him. I doubt we offered them enough to be more than what they could earn in the next few months from this seasons UEFA Cup or from the chance of qualifying for next seasons European competitions which all happen in the next couple of months for them.

Davo
[/quote]

Inspite of what you said, don''t you think this club our club deserves better things, with Delia all we can hope for is mid to low league I have been a norwich Fan for over 40 years and the last ten have been a load of tof, I never said we had a devine right to play in Europe, but given the chance to would be better than a relligation fight to league 1 every season, when will people realise we are going nowhere with Queen Delia, Her biggest mistake was to keep worthington when we were in the prem. after ten defeates he should have gone then perhaps just perhaps we might still have been there now 

We have two scenarios:

Discuss

[/quote]

Try these two scenarios:

[/quote]

Careful.

As far as Peter Cullum is concerned, the year end figures to be announce prior to this years agm will make very interesting reading!!

[quote user="Beauseant"]

We have two scenarios:

Discuss

[/quote]

Careful Beauseant old chap.  It''s just not cricket to offer such reasoned arguement on here.  You might be chastised severely for appearing to be on the side of the management and, worst of all, the club[:O]  And.... as for daring to cast aspersions against a certain Messiah, all be it tongue in cheek.  How very dare you!

here''s one for you, If Cullum has the club at heart, why not give us an interest free loan? However, as he is a business man he would most probably want interest on it, as all he is interested in is a good deal for him.

[quote user="Scooby"][quote user="Beauseant"]

We have two scenarios:

Discuss

[/quote]

Careful Beauseant old chap.  It''s just not cricket to offer such reasoned arguement on here.  You might be chastised severely for appearing to be on the side of the management and, worst of all, the club[:O]  And.... as for daring to cast aspersions against a certain Messiah, all be it tongue in cheek.  How very dare you!

[/quote]

It''s ''argument''......If you''re going to type pretentious, pontificating and ponderous piffle, try and get yur spellun roight!

Now, leave the keyboard and pooter....It''s your stint up Blah''s backside.....

"BGG&YPOS"  here''s one for you, If Cullum has the club at heart, why not give us an interest free loan? However, as he is a business man he would most probably want interest on it, as all he is interested in is a good deal for him.

But that works for all of them the Turners included, who for a £2mill loan got two seats on the board.  If the board were that desperate to have fresh investment then they could have sat down with PC and thrashed a deal out, come to a compromise.

As for your assumption that PC would have wanted interest on his loan, how do you know this?  Do you know him personally or through business connections?

The pendulum swings both ways.

[quote user="Barclay_Boy"][quote user="Beauseant"]

We have two scenarios:

Discuss

[/quote]

1/

2/

[/quote]

OK BB.  We all know your anti-board stance so, of course your arguement will be biased, but it''s all hearsay and guess work.  As you say yourself  if rumours are to be believed and we should have had a sizeable transfer kitty.  As for I don''t know this 100%, but that''s what appears to have happened. Says who? As with most of the board/Delia bashers on here, your arguements are always based on rumour and guess work, never fact. What is a fact however is that NCFC are one of the best run and most profitable clubs in the country.  PC new exactly what he was bidding for and it was not a club in decline and distress, and he was not prepared to stump up.

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="Scooby"][quote user="Beauseant"]

We have two scenarios:

Discuss

[/quote]

[/quote]

It''s ''argument''......If you''re going to type pretentious, pontificating and ponderous piffle, try and get yur spellun roight!

[/quote]

God there''s always one isn''t there. Wassup Mello? Do you have nothing better to do than sit here trawling through peoples posts in case there''s ooooh, one spelling mistake, wow!  I''m so so sorry, I''ll take my uneducated arse back to school right away massa!  And, what the F*** are you on about Blah for?

Prat.

[quote user="Scooby"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="Scooby"][quote user="Beauseant"]

We have two scenarios:

Discuss

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

God there''s always one isn''t there. Wassup Mello? Do you have nothing better to do than sit here trawling through peoples posts in case there''s ooooh, one spelling mistake, wow!  I''m so so sorry, I''ll take my uneducated arse back to school right away massa!  And, what the F*** are you on about Blah for?

Prat.

[/quote]

Mello has a bit of an anal fixation today,as well as a very nasty attack of pedantry.Still, saves having to construct an argument,doesn''t it?