Sign in to follow this  
bigbear

Brum game yest

I thought the boys were a joy to watch in the 1st half and unfortunately they were never going to be able to recreate it.  Yet again we are getting shooting chances on edge of box, but out players aren''t wanting to shoot, so they take an extra touch and then finally think that they should and by that time, they have already been closed down.  We carved them open time and time again down the wings, but yet again it was that final ball into the box letting us down, probably because they had no one in there to cross it to.  I don''t want to see us get a target man so we just hoof the ball to him, I just want the extra options in the box.

2nd half, good finish for the goal, but then Brum dominated, which they should do against most teams home and away this season.  The introduction of Marcus Bent was a major contributing factor in that.  We may have booed his every touch, and rightfully so, but to be fair, everything he did, except for a wayward shot was spot on.  His game with his back to goal, chesting down and bringing others into play was excellent, something which we so dearly need.  Luckily we defended brilliantly today to just allow them a handful of chances all day.

Hoolahan, I don''t know what to make of him.  1st half, lots of running, including to help defend, didn''t get a major amount of the ball, but used it well.  2nd half, tried defending, with plenty of running, but every time he got the ball, he either passed it to a blue shirt or he tried to take on 1 player too many and got tackled.  I personally thought that he should have made way for Croft when he came on and have Pattison switch to the left.

Hoping for our 1st win very soon, we need it desperately to really start our season, theres no point playing nice fancy football if there is no end product, which 1stly is goals and then ultimately is 3 points.

[quote user="bigbear"]

I thought the boys were a joy to watch in the 1st half and unfortunately they were never going to be able to recreate it.  Yet again we are getting shooting chances on edge of box, but out players aren''t wanting to shoot, so they take an extra touch and then finally think that they should and by that time, they have already been closed down.  We carved them open time and time again down the wings, but yet again it was that final ball into the box letting us down, probably because they had no one in there to cross it to.  I don''t want to see us get a target man so we just hoof the ball to him, I just want the extra options in the box.

2nd half, good finish for the goal, but then Brum dominated, which they should do against most teams home and away this season.  The introduction of Marcus Bent was a major contributing factor in that.  We may have booed his every touch, and rightfully so, but to be fair, everything he did, except for a wayward shot was spot on.  His game with his back to goal, chesting down and bringing others into play was excellent, something which we so dearly need.  Luckily we defended brilliantly today to just allow them a handful of chances all day.

Hoolahan, I don''t know what to make of him.  1st half, lots of running, including to help defend, didn''t get a major amount of the ball, but used it well.  2nd half, tried defending, with plenty of running, but every time he got the ball, he either passed it to a blue shirt or he tried to take on 1 player too many and got tackled.  I personally thought that he should have made way for Croft when he came on and have Pattison switch to the left.

Hoping for our 1st win very soon, we need it desperately to really start our season, theres no point playing nice fancy football if there is no end product, which 1stly is goals and then ultimately is 3 points.

[/quote]

Yes agree with most of that. In the first half Quincy Double-Barrell (ex of Arsenal I believe) had a shocker, and Semi didn''t have to do a great deal to keep him quiet. There was one incident where Semi got ahead of Pattison and QDB was one on one against Pattison and all he did was chip it harmlessly into the box, when he could have easily just run past him. It was a different game when McFadden went back into midfield in the second half and Bent came on.

I was surprised when Pattison got tugged over Hoolahan. Brum looked to be getting some control over the game, and Hoolahan had lost the ball a couple of time, cutting inside the right back, and was drifting out of the game.

And Crofty. Where do I start? On the plus side, he stays wide and always shows for the ball, links up play, runs well at the full back, but yesterday he couldn’t cross a ball to save his Mum’s life. From my vantage position (N&P upper Block T, fourth row from the front) we were treated to the full range of overhit, underhit, and miss-hit crosses.

We are improving. Just need a striker who''ll bang a few goals in. If we don''t it will be a frustrating season.

It''s Quincy Owusu Abeyie (sp) and yes he did used ti play for arsenal, before he want to like spartak moscow or someone