Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

Reasons to be cheerful

Four games, three points - fair enough - but from yesterday I can''t help feeling positive about the direction Roeder''s taking the club in.  More so if we can cash in on Shackell and put the money to good use up front.Though under Grant I think we may have started 2007-8 with 4 points from 4 games, the team was pretty rotten.  We had dead wood in the squad, little competition for places and the football was agricultural to say the least.Our passing and interplay yesterday was class and we looked nothing like the team who started last season so poorly.  The caveat to this is of course, we can make pretty passing patterns all day long but if there''s no end product we''re going to struggle - but this is not rocket science, everybody at the games this season knows this, Roeder and Clark know it - and I trust them to do something to put this right.  With a decent striker or two up front, I really think we could do something this season.  Clearly we''ll know more on Tuesday at 12:01am, but I felt really proud of the team yesterday and believe we''re not as far away from success as some might have us believe.

No, this post is not ironic, and no I am not in this photograph.[img]http://blog.feestpaleis.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/sheep-flock.jpg[/img]

Totally agree, we may not have won a game yet, but it cannot be far away now before we start moving up. I would rather have stats like W 0 D3 L1 than W1 D0 L3 like the Scummers and also have a 3 game unbeaten run.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Four games, three points - fair enough - but from yesterday I can''t help feeling positive about the direction Roeder''s taking the club in.  More so if we can cash in on Shackell and put the money to good use up front.

Though under Grant I think we may have started 2007-8 with 4 points from 4 games, the team was pretty rotten.  We had dead wood in the squad, little competition for places and the football was agricultural to say the least.

Our passing and interplay yesterday was class and we looked nothing like the team who started last season so poorly.  The caveat to this is of course, we can make pretty passing patterns all day long but if there''s no end product we''re going to struggle - but this is not rocket science, everybody at the games this season knows this, Roeder and Clark know it - and I trust them to do something to put this right.  With a decent striker or two up front, I really think we could do something this season.  Clearly we''ll know more on Tuesday at 12:01am, but I felt really proud of the team yesterday and believe we''re not as far away from success as some might have us believe.

No, this post is not ironic, and no I am not in this photograph.
[img]http://blog.feestpaleis.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/sheep-flock.jpg[/img]

[/quote]totally agree....just need that missing bit of the jigsaw...and the wins will come....great performance yesterday against 1 of the favs to win the league

totally agree, its all there apart from the finish, at times we were like a poor mans arsenal  a joy to watch just lacking the finish, like you say glenn and clarkey know this, yesterday was my first match of the season when i`d heard  the reports of how well we`d played  this season i`d taken it with a pinch of salt, but to be honest i couldn`t believe what i was seeing in front of me, such a contrast from the last 3 years  not just the passing and movement but also the way we didn`t give birmingham a second to play, if we don`t get another striking option to go with the excellent lupoli it will be a criminal waste of what looks like a very handy  squad

Nice to see the team performing well, against very stiff opposition! Brum have got by far the strongest squad in the FLC. Just hope GR can get this man up front in on time, otherwise the confidence might start to suffer.

OTBC

I''d settle for being a poor man''s Arsenal - they are a fantastic side.  We have indeed been playing well this season without the results following - in recent seasons our passing and possession play was often atrocious and we were quite often flattered by results, but the adverse has been true in almost every game so far; credit has to go to the players and management for that but we must start to turn our decent performances into wins - whilst it looks great, there is sadly little point in playing sides off the park and having possession stats of 60:40 if we only draw or lose.

I also thought we were excellent yesterday, our passing and movement was a joy to watch. Get that big striker in, drop Fotheringham to the bench and put Rusty in midfield as well as putting Bell on the right when he is fit and we have the makings of a top six team. Most enjoyable game for ages and against one of the strongest teams in the division.

Spot on again Choppy lad. If we can play like that gainst the best squad in the league we can beat anyone. Im just praying that we get a decent forward in. The whole season hinges on this one signing.

[quote user="crafty canary"]What has impressed me most is both the defensive qualities of stefanovich and Kennedy AND their desire to play football when in possession.[/quote]

They both look class defenders, both have made the odd mistake but they are both commanding defenders who seem to compliment each other. Another thing that has impressed me is how they both seem really up for the challenge. They will get better as a unit the more times they play together.

[quote user="kdncfc"]

[quote user="crafty canary"]What has impressed me most is both the defensive qualities of stefanovich and Kennedy AND their desire to play football when in possession.[/quote]

They both look class defenders, both have made the odd mistake but they are both commanding defenders who seem to compliment each other. Another thing that has impressed me is how they both seem really up for the challenge. They will get better as a unit the more times they play together.

[/quote]hopefully we will sign kennedy on a permenant...he has already said...he would like it to happen....shacks out kennedy in on a permenant...perfect

I thought that that was the best defensive performance by a back 4 that we''ve seen since we were promoted. They were superb today every single one of them, it''s a shame semmy fell asleep at the free-kick but apart from right near the end they didn''t make any mistakes or slip up all game and kept one of the best strike forces ever to grace the ccc very quiet. The midfield were great as well, never stopped running and swarmed them continually for the entire game. [Y]

And we still have to see Bell play (at Plymouth?). If he is fit we shall have more craft, better crosses (if only we had a tall striker!) and also extra shooting power. If he plays most of the season, I can see him scoring as many as 10 goals - far better at this than Crofty.Perhaps the team are not fully gelled, and Lupoli is not yet match fit, - so onwards and upwards....