Sign in to follow this  
Lincs CR

Neil Adams says Fotheringham is the one to give way...

I THINK this is what I heard, couldn''t quite hear over the racket my fellow passengers on canary express were making!

He was talking about when a new striker comes in he will surely play alongside Lupoli up front meaning Russell will have to be dropping into midfield.

Adams is clearly a fan of Clingan after he did nothing but praise him after the game but I missed bits and pieces said after this... he was talking about how Shackell was given the captaincy under Grant and eventually got pushed out of the starting 11, and I think he said Glenn has to have the bottle to drop Fotheringham despite him being captain for the benefit of the team.

Neil Adams hits the nail on the head once again and isn''t afraid to make the truth public :)

i hope not.. Sam "penalty!" clingan is an accident waiting to happen im afraid.. Fozzy had a good game today.. got away with the clearest handbal i think i have ever seen too.

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

i hope not.. Sam "penalty!" clingan is an accident waiting to happen im afraid.. Fozzy had a good game today.. got away with the clearest handbal i think i have ever seen too.

[/quote]

Clearest handball? I think Crofts in the second half gives him a run for his money!

Oh and as for Clingan. I was disapointed when we signed him. But in my opinion hes turning into an excellent player. Could be quite an un-sung hero in the way in which he breaks up play.

As for Fotheringham, bar his leadership he does nothing. I think its a shame as he is captain hes gaurenteed a game each week. When/ If we get a new striker I sure hope its a Clingan - Russell midfield pairing...

Funny how we all see things differently.

I''ve seen every game this season and for me Clingan has been the best of our new boys so far. Whilst i like Fozzy''s attitude, at the moment I think he''s a luxury we can''t afford if a new striker is signed.

Neil Adams is bang on correct.

Again, Fotheringham was the weak link in our team by a long way. What on earth Roder sees in him, I don''t know - it certainly hasn''t been on display whenever I''ve seen us play. 

[/quote] Jaz you must be related to Fozzy, or watching a different match, as he was our poorest player on the pitch today by a mile.  Did you not see the tackle he pulled out of in the first five minutes?  You do not expect your captain to pull out of tackles, he is there to set an example to the others.  His free kicks and corners are useless, and he can only pass sideways or backwards.  Take your blinkers off and watch Clingan closely, because that is how our captain should be playing in midfield.

Fotheringham again was poor today. Clingan plays the way Fotheringham should do; time to drop him and have a midfield partnership of Clingan and Russell, and give Stefanovic the captaincy.

yeah, but people - fozzy was up against carsley today, and did well - we never got overun today,,,was fozzy''s best game this season, but sure - rusty and clinkers in centre mid pairing has to be seriously considered by roedy imo...

I like fozzy;  he wants the ball and can link up play well.  Today he worked hard but his passing game was off and he continues to be in the same space as clingan.   Today clingan was streets ahead,  against blackpool it was fozzy who played better.

Both are central midfielders who can use the ball but prefer to play deep,  and we need someone to push forwards and offer a goal threat;  neither clingan nor fozzy have provided that so far this season,  nor can I see them doing so.

We have to break this partnership up;  I think fozzy can create more when partnering russell;  but not on todays performance 

It''s always amazing how differently people can see things - I think Clingan is a great little player, tries to win it and play it simple but is also capable of good passes too.  Fozzie was poor today.  I certainly agree with Neil Adams that when we get a new striker, it should be Fozzie that is dropped with Rusty moving back (he is, after all, the only midfielder we have who it seems is capable of shooting/scoring!).

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

I like fozzy;  he wants the ball and can link up play well.  Today he worked hard but his passing game was off and he continues to be in the same space as clingan.   Today clingan was streets ahead,  against blackpool it was fozzy who played better.

Both are central midfielders who can use the ball but prefer to play deep,  and we need someone to push forwards and offer a goal threat;  neither clingan nor fozzy have provided that so far this season,  nor can I see them doing so.

We have to break this partnership up;  I think fozzy can create more when partnering russell;  but not on todays performance 

[/quote]Spot on as usual. If we get this mythical target man then Fozzy and Clingan will be competing for one spot, which is great news. I would submit that if Fozzy can''t get in our midfield, then our midfield will be pretty good.

Not seen both of them enough to judge, but with both playing together our attacking potential is limited a great deal. Surely they must fight for one spot.

our record without Fozzy isnt great... look at our results last season without them, then our results with him,...

Like i have said before, he''s our bet player and we wont realise it till he''s out

our record without Fozzy isnt great... look at our results last season without them, then our results with him,...

Like i have said before, he''s our bet player and we wont realise it till he''s out

[/quote]I actually thought Fozzy was fairly decent yesterday - but I think you must be mad Jas. You rate Fotheringham, whose nickname is Captain Invisible (I''m told), and really doesn''t seem to contribute a huge amount to the team -  yet constantly slate Marshall, who is anything but invisible and pulled off yet another point-saving stop yesterday... [:)]

[quote user="I. Shurmer"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]I actually thought Fozzy was fairly decent yesterday - but I think you must be mad Jas. You rate Fotheringham, whose nickname is Captain Invisible (I''m told), and really doesn''t seem to contribute a huge amount to the team -  yet constantly slate Marshall, who is anything but invisible and pulled off yet another point-saving stop yesterday... [:)]

[/quote]Each to their own Shurmer. I dont particularly rate Fozzy on face value, but someone worked out the stats from when he is in the team and when he isnt and its a significant difference. He is an unsung player, which a defensive midfielder generally should be. I just think Clingan can do that role just as well, and more importantly there is no way they can play together.

Agree Trent - I''ve been quite critical of Fozzy recently, but did notice him make several quality passes yesterday. I have to say that I''m not sure there is place for him in the starting 11 when we get the physical striker though...

[quote user="I. Shurmer"]Agree Trent - I''ve been quite critical of Fozzy recently, but did notice him make several quality passes yesterday. I have to say that I''m not sure there is place for him in the starting 11 when we get the physical striker though...[/quote]The question is though who has performed the best out of the two? Havent been to a league game yet this season so cant judge who should make way. Clingan impressed me in the friendlies, and Fozzy looked good, but not spectacular last season. So would have to take the word of people who have gone!

I am probably not the most consistent judge of players, as I have said here before, but I was concerned at Fotheringham''s crude approach, but far more concerned at the abuse he was receiving around me. Is there a particular reason for this, as surely it is not just based on his performances (Scots prejudice, I just do not know). I hate fans abusing their own players, so I think I will be having a word with those around me as the season unfolds, and watching Fozzy carefully as well.