Sign in to follow this  
rocky marshall

Crewe Alex a.k.a NCFC

Everyone over the years recognises the brand of football Crewe played under Dario G. Lovely footballers, always passing the ball on the deck, great discipline etc etc.

Crewe were always in and around the bottom 6, selling on players to fund the club, with the club happy to be competing in the league, not winning it but staying in there.

Sound familiar?

Football is about winning at professional level, dominating games, great! Good performances, brilliant. Solid team, magnificent.

Winning... its what we go to see. The rest is icing on the cake. Winning is a habit, so it not winning. and currently theres no wins in the cupboard.

and btw, Crewe are in League 1 now. No clean sheets but at least with one win for their three points. We too have NO clean sheets but no wins. I suppose they''ve not conceded three penalties though!

and your inspired thought of the day is....

Its relevant in so far as GR keeps praising good performances, we should have won, if they had won it wold have been disgusting etc etc. Its not about Performances;

ITS ABOUT WINNING. Performances are nice but you dont get points for artistic impression; results count. Sotke didnt care about pretty, neither did Hull or Watford as they went up. Even our promotion season was about very hard work for 60mins and once the opposition were battered into submission, then let the players play.

But we are much more likely to win if we defend well, compete in midfield and pass the ball well, as we did yesterday. Everyone knows we need a target man, but surely you were heartened by the performance yesterday?Call me a purist if you want, but I wouldn''t go to watch Stoke every week. I really enjoyed it yesterday - it''s the sort of football I''d like to see us play.

And thats fine of course Rob. You pay your money and you choose if you like the product or not. I just prefer my cake, plain made with winning ingredients, whether the cake is atopped with fondant icing and sprinkles is of course my choice. But thats not on the shelf currently!

Others would prefer it the other way round, looks lovely on the outside but when you get inside theres little substance. As Roeder himself says, First is first, second is nowhere, and this season we havent been first, yet!

Thing is Rocky, Roeder has had to completely rebuild the team, and that suits him in as much as he wants to completely change the way we play along with the Costa Colney culture and the age old nice little old Norwich, always a good day out - which at present isn''t guaranteeing wins, but we have to start somewhere. If you would rather have the quick fix of bish, bash bosh, thump the ball upfield and all run around after it and score just one more than the opposition, as Robert says, go and watch Stoke. Yes they were promoted, but for how long will their football survive in the Premiership. Also what is the entertainment value?

I would rather watch football as we witnessed yesterday, even if we have to slowly and patiently wait for it all to fit. Yes we need someone who''s a clinical finisher, that doesn''t necessarily mean a target man, we also need more attacking options in midfield, although we seem to have stumbled across one of those in Rusty.

I may well be in the minority, for which I don''t much mind, I applaud Glenn Roeder for taking us back to proper football, the likes we haven''t seen for many a year. We look much stronger, more resiliant and more comfortable on the ball than last year, so despite as yet not winning a game we haven''t really looked too much out of our depth and haven''t been hammered or destroyed by the opposition. We are on the right tracks.

I am sure Roeder wants more from the team and to start winning, but first of all we need proper foundations and the players who are all sure and comfortable with what they are doing. There is substance there. Last year the ball was tossed around like a hot potato, the team were low in confidence and had run out of ideas. Now they get into space, we have several players with great technique and the attitude is much better.

Well done Glenn Roeder, a vast improvement from last season.

Football isn''t just about winning it''s about entertaiment too. In all hionesty I would prefer to go see a 4-3 loss with all the added drama of penalties or red cards etc. than a boring 1-0 win. Would oyou honestly prefer to watch Jose Mourinho''s Chelsea over Wenger''s Arsenal? DOn''t get me wrong I love seeing Norwich win but if they do it in style so much the better.Davo

Their youth system is miles better think of the players they have brought through, ashton, hulse varney, maynard and danny murphy to name a few