Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

HELGUSON ON SEASON LONG LOAN!!!!

It would be nice and we beat the scum to him.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1051167/Bolton-striker-Helguson-set-join-Norwich-season-long-loan.htmlOf course it''s only paper talk atm and although he''s good in the air at only 5''10 I wouldn''t really call him a target man. Still a good siging and goal scorer.Davo

If this is true it smacks of desperation, since he''s hardly a target man inasmuch as the ability to hold the ball up and make chances for others.

Never fit, and not a out and out goal scorer, correct in what your saying not a target man. The only thing that links him with Roeders comments is that hes a man not a boy.

I''d be really dissappointed if this is true. What would be the point in having three loans as forwards?, It looks as tho he is going to spend his money on a defender who will nver play and waste money on a loan for the most important player in the team.

Sorry Glen, if the papers are right, wrong move I''d say.

Loan and CB and buy a decent forward, GAMBLE for once Norwich, dare you!!!

Heider Helguson has recently been linked with Coca Cola Championship

side Norwich and is rumoured to move to Carrow Road for a bid around

1.5 Million Pounds.
I think someone''s been fiddling with Wikipedia.......... [:O]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]If true, what a suprise, another loan, we must have less money than Northern Rock[/quote]I''d prefer to loan him for a season than buy him. Yes I know it''s another season long loan but it''s better than buying him and him turning out crap. Plus hopefully it''ll leave some money left for a permanant deal for Iversen come January or another striker.Davo

You couldn''t be more wrong. Helguson is a target man, despite being 5''10" he''s got a great leap and is very good in the air. He''s very strong, ultra competative and a real handful for defenders. He''s tech is good, he''ll hold the ball up, scored plenty of goals when he played for Watford in the Championship and he''s excellent at tacking penalties. The only negative I can see with this signing is that he''s struggled with injuries and not had a lot of first team football, but then this was true of Kennedy and he''s proving to be a great signing. I say sign him and make sure we can return him if he gets injured.

[quote user="4-4-2"]

Never fit, and not a out and out goal scorer, correct in what your saying not a target man. The only thing that links him with Roeders comments is that hes a man not a boy.

I''d be really dissappointed if this is true. What would be the point in having three loans as forwards?, It looks as tho he is going to spend his money on a defender who will nver play and waste money on a loan for the most important player in the team.

Sorry Glen, if the papers are right, wrong move I''d say.

Loan and CB and buy a decent forward, GAMBLE for once Norwich, dare you!!!

[/quote]

He is definitely worth signing on his ability as a goalscorer but I would be very concerned about his injury record. If he is the only striker we sign today and he gets injured we will end up in the same situation we are in now. Imo we need 2 strikers anyway so if we are signing him Helgusson an another he will be well worth having.

LORD FOXY LOWE:

You couldn''t be more wrong. Helguson is a target man, despite being 5''10" he''s got a great leap and is very good in the air. He''s very strong, ultra competative and a real handful for defenders. He''s tech is good, he''ll hold the ball up, scored plenty of goals when he played for Watford in the Championship and he''s excellent at tacking penalties. The only negative I can see with this signing is that he''s struggled with injuries and not had a lot of first team football, but then this was true of Kennedy and he''s proving to be a great signing. I say sign him and make sure we can return him if he gets injured.

Precisely what I was about to say Lord Foxy, strong man up front to hold the ball up, can score goals, ticks the boxes for me.

Yep; a great target man if fitness can be retained. Despite being 5'' 11", he jumps like an American basketball player on steroids. I remember seeing him play against us for Watford and always being impressed.

I just hope, if it''s true, he can keep his fitness. 

I agree with the pro-Helguson camp!He would be a great signing in my eyes and I think would get us 15 goals this year!! Of course I''d rather have him on a permanent basis but if he''s 31 maybe its better to take him on season long loan assuming that at 31 there would be no sell on fee????

When I''ve seen him play I''ve been impressed, but having looked around the www and seen this from the vital Bolton site, I hope that the story is an exaggeration.

Here''s the link   http://www.bolton.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=121893 and text

The mission to get rid of Heidar Helguson continues at Bolton. After failed attempts to offload him to Nottingham Forest and Charlton, the latest club to be linked to the permanently injured Icelander is Norwich City. Lucky them.

Helguson arrived at the Reebok with a reputation for being somewhat fragile, and he`s lived down to it, having problems with his back and ankle, the latter requiring surgery. He is currently recovering from a hernia.

The fee is thought to be in the region of £1.5 million and for that Bolton have promised to throw in a job lot of Ibuprofen. The ambulance to transport him to Carrow Road is on standby.

[quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"]

Yep; a great target man if fitness can be retained. Despite being 5'' 11", he jumps like an American basketball player on steroids. I remember seeing him play against us for Watford and always being impressed.

I just hope, if it''s true, he can keep his fitness. 

[/quote]

Fitness is indeed the key, if he can stay fit he will do a job at this level.  He may not be many peoples first choice but I would prefer him to the other injury plagued option of Ameobi (who unlike him has not really ever shown he can do that much anywhere consistently).  At least this guy looks like he has a clue what is going on around him when he has got the ball.

And height is not as you point out essential to being good in the air - I remember watching David Speedie back in the early 90s and that juy lept like a salmon despite not being all that tall. 

Article from 2002, but still may give a useful insight: 

Player profiles:

Heidar Helguson

Position: Striker. Yes, Luca.

Career stats: Soccerbase

He is: A loony. Most of the time.

Past profiles: June 2000

Profile:

A recurring cartoon / comic book formula sees all-conquering superheroes

emerging from nervous, timid alter-egos... witness Clark Kent as Superman,

Peter Parker as Spiderman, and Penry the mild-mannered janitor as Hong Kong

Phooey. It''s conceptually appealing, the meek little guy shaking off his

shackles and striking a blow for the downtrodden masses.

There''s something of this in Heidar Helguson. A shy, nervous individual prone

to cataclysmic collapses in confidence, the transformation to the rabid,

pain-in-the-arse of a striker when his tail is up could hardly be more

dramatic.

Heidar made a bold start to his Vicarage Road career, albeit not quite bold or

early enough to threaten to salvage our Premiership season. His first full

season gave us the good (some brutal, rampaging performances), the bad (a

chronic loss of form that tied in with that of the side as a whole), and the

ugly (a red card for a two-footed hack at John Curtis of Blackburn).

Helguson suffered more than many during Luca Vialli''s season, inexplicably

being employed, when at all, in midfield and even at wing-back... his complete

lack of defensive awareness contributing to a crucial own goal at home to

Manchester City. His desperate, isolated expression as the ball went in ranks

amongst the lowest points of that season.

So when the Icelander made an injury-delayed start to 2002-03 in mid-September,

it was good to see him back up front and with his hyperactive lunatic switch

set to "on". Scoring in five of his first six starts, and leaving a trail of

bruised and exhausted centrebacks in his wake, it was reassuring to be shown

that what had gone down as one of Luca''s most obvious errors really was as

bad as advertised.

There are still criticisms, obviously... ever susceptible to swings in form, a

bad day from Heidar is often characterised by either a life-threatening tackle

or a patience-threatening tumble under challenge, and you''d still never put

better-than-even odds on him in a one-on-one with the keeper. But in several

respects Heidar has no peer at Vicarage Road... he attacks the ball in the air

better than anyone we''ve had for years (bar Mooney, arguably), his predatory

instincts mean that he''s the man most likely to tumble on scraps, and he covers

a monumental amount of ground in the course of ninety minutes.

Heidar Helguson. Number-one super guy? Could be.

Matt Rowson

Last updated: December 2002

[quote user="Davo"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]If true, what a suprise, another loan, we must have less money than Northern Rock[/quote]

I''d prefer to loan him for a season than buy him. Yes I know it''s another season long loan but it''s better than buying him and him turning out crap. Plus hopefully it''ll leave some money left for a permanant deal for Iversen come January or another striker.

Davo
[/quote]

Don''t you believe it, any money we get for Shackell will go to pay back what the board members loaned the club, they will not gamble they  are happy to keep little old Norwich in the lower leagues, they want promotion and £60.000.000. prize money, and we say these days are better than Chase''s days, wake up  

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[quote user="Davo"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]If true, what a suprise, another loan, we must have less money than Northern Rock[/quote]I''d prefer to loan him for a season than buy him. Yes I know it''s another season long loan but it''s better than buying him and him turning out crap. Plus hopefully it''ll leave some money left for a permanant deal for Iversen come January or another striker.Davo[/quote]

Don''t you believe it, any money we get for Shackell will go to pay back what the board members loaned the club, they will not gamble they  are happy to keep little old Norwich in the lower leagues, they want promotion and £60.000.000. prize money, and we say these days are better than Chase''s days, wake up  

[/quote]I believe you but there''s always hope ;)Davo

Agree with you WrightyBoy - for all those saying he is not a target man perhaps you haven''t seen him play? He is praised and praised for being a short target man who has an extremely great leap and ability to header a ball. There''s not too many shorter forwards around with the ability to jump and head the ball as well as he can - loan him or buy him, either way it''s a good signing.

Helguson or Cureton? Problem solved...

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[quote user="Davo"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]If true, what a suprise, another loan, we must have less money than Northern Rock[/quote]

I''d prefer to loan him for a season than buy him. Yes I know it''s another season long loan but it''s better than buying him and him turning out crap. Plus hopefully it''ll leave some money left for a permanant deal for Iversen come January or another striker.

Davo
[/quote]

[/quote]

And you know this for a fact,do you?

Subject to the injury doubts he is exactly the type of player we need and the closest thing to Iversen out there. He''s not massive but is know to be good in the air. We don''t need a massive lump who encourages our players to hoof the ball up the pitch anyway. What we need is someone who is strong and direct and who can give the central defenders a presence to worry about thus freeing up more space for Loops.

If he is fit I would be very happy with Helguson.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

Subject to the injury doubts he is exactly the type of player we need and the closest thing to Iversen out there. He''s not massive but is know to be good in the air. We don''t need a massive lump who encourages our players to hoof the ball up the pitch anyway. What we need is someone who is strong and direct and who can give the central defenders a presence to worry about thus freeing up more space for Loops.

If he is fit I would be very happy with Helguson.

[/quote]I couldn''t agree more last thing we need now is our passing style being ruined and changed to a long ball game and while not the tallest he can finish in the air and with his feet. I just hope it''s a loan as I don''t want to sign him permanatly only to be spend 2 of the next 3 years on teh sidelines injured.Davo

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[quote user="Davo"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]If true, what a suprise, another loan, we must have less money than Northern Rock[/quote]I''d prefer to loan him for a season than buy him. Yes I know it''s another season long loan but it''s better than buying him and him turning out crap. Plus hopefully it''ll leave some money left for a permanant deal for Iversen come January or another striker.Davo[/quote]

[/quote]So you''re saying they are happy to keep norwich in the lower leagues but they want promotion? What does that gibberish actually mean? HH will be an excellent signing if as everyone says, he stays fit. I''d rather see him loaned than bought given his injury record, but he''ll be the good foil to hopefully get Cureton into form.

repeated in a couple of papers today.  Would fit the not quite good enough for prem but excellent in this league critieria GR set a while ago and is genuinely strong in teh air.   A good signing if it happens  whether on loan or permanent...