Sign in to follow this  
silver fox

What does Fotheringham contribute to the side?

Russell has done his bit by scoring, Pattison is starting to look a good player and was outstanding today, Clingan looks the part as a defensive midfielder who pushes forward, but please can somebody tell me what Fotheringham actually contributes to the team?  Instead of being inspirational and a leader, he appears to be the most ineffective midfielder we have.  I am obviously missing something as Roeder continues to make him captain.

[quote user="silver fox"]

Russell has done his bit by scoring, Pattison is starting to look a good player and was outstanding today, Clingan looks the part as a defensive midfielder who pushes forward, but please can somebody tell me what Fotheringham actually contributes to the team?  Instead of being inspirational and a leader, he appears to be the most ineffective midfielder we have.  I am obviously missing something as Roeder continues to make him captain.

[/quote]

Not much other than being hot headed at the moment. I think it''s important to have someone like him in your side, bit of a nut case that flies into tackles a bit, but he does need some sort of footballing ability also. At times he can be very creative, and at other times he''s hardly in the game. In my opinion he needs to be more consistent, and get into games more if he wants to stay in the side.

[quote user="Hoolahoop"][quote user="silver fox"]

[/quote]

Not much other than being hot headed at the moment. I think it''s important to have someone like him in your side, bit of a nut case that flies into tackles a bit, but he does need some sort of footballing ability also. At times he can be very creative, and at other times he''s hardly in the game. In my opinion he needs to be more consistent, and get into games more if he wants to stay in the side.

[/quote]  I think the person you are talking about has to be Russell then, providing he doesn''t go overboard and get sent off again like last season.

Haven''t seen him this season, but last season he contributed:massively improved retention of the ball, which led to less pressure on our defence and more chances created for our forwardsdrive, commitment and determination in midfieldexcellent leadership.He was the single most important reason (other than the departure of Grant and Duffy) that led to our improvement and getting out of relegation trouble.If he has been poor at the start of this season, fair enough. But he did more than enough last season to earn a little patience.

[quote user="silver fox"]

[/quote]well last season we didn''t have a midfield pair capeable of holding it''s line against any team hence we had to play three central midfielders and one wide man.this season foz and clingan have at least held if not dominated every midfield due to their massive work rate,It,s very easy to miss when watching the game how much running these two are doing to hold midfield and neither shirk a challenge, I think foz leads from the front and I know for a fact that the younger players see him this way

I have not heard his name mentioned in any of the match reports from yesterdays game, he''s our captain and should be leading from the front, he''s not inspirational at all. I would love to see a player like Brian Howard at this club, some one to work with Clingan. Howard scores goals, fozzy does not. Clingans not going to be scoring them and every team needs a midfielder who scores goals, croft doesn''t, fozzy doesn''t, clingan doesn''t, hoolahan may score a few, russells scored but when coming of the bench as a striker. Howard scores over 10 a season and is a leader !

[quote user="Ginger Pele"]HE IS THE BEST PASS OF THE BALL AT THE CLUB[/quote]I don''t usually go in for internet style abbreviations but:LOLROFLROFLMAOROFLLOL

I wouldn''t say that''s far off. I don''t think he''s as bad as a lot of you make out. As has been mentioned we''ve won the midfield battle when Clingfilm and Fozzy have been in there and we''re playing good football.

He''s not a bad player at this level, but of the players we have Russell, Clingan, Pattison and all the other options seem to me to promise more. He''s useful to have in the squad, but should he be in the starting line up every week?

Part of our problem this season has been that Clingan and Fotheringham are both holding midfielders and both haven''t got the running in them to be attacking midfielders!

This is why I find it crazy that the one such midfielder we have who can do this hasn''t been starting in midfield, Russell!

Fotheringham would be OK alongside Russell in midfield but not with Clingan as tyhey are too similar!