Sign in to follow this  
Disco Dale

Go easy on Curo

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]Post of the year so far, Mr Chops

It''s become such a cliche, a dead metaphor if you will, that it''s easy to forget what a genius phrase "he couldn''t hit a cow''s arse with a banjo" is. Fabulously vivid. Was it Dave "Harry" Bassett who coined it?

[/quote]

I can remember first hearing on FIFA 1999 on the ps2 when Motty warbled it. "oh dear! he couldnt hit a cows backside with a banjo this chap!"

jas :)

he does Scott.. thing is do we stick with a midfielder up front, like Rusty, with Lupoli.. or do we put in Headless chicken Korma?

unless Glenn gets someone in then i think Curetons going to play every week... because theres no one else....

I guess at a punt we could try the doc up front again.. but thats an experiment that went badly wrong before!

Lupoli has to start after his heroices at Cardiff and Russell has to stay in up front cause he adds a physical presense and never stops trying and make things happen!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]Post of the year so far, Mr ChopsIt''s become such a cliche, a dead metaphor if you will, that it''s easy to forget what a genius phrase "he couldn''t hit a cow''s arse with a banjo" is. Fabulously vivid. Was it Dave "Harry" Bassett who coined it?[/quote]

I can remember first hearing on FIFA 1999 on the ps2 when Motty warbled it. "oh dear! he couldnt hit a cows backside with a banjo this chap!"

[/quote]It''s way older than that. Besides, Motty has never said anything that interesting.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"](a) in this totally dispiriting era of mercenary players it is genuinely refreshing to see someone who cares about the club as much as I do. That doesn''t make him a better player, in fact, it probably makes him a worse player, because he''s clearly putting too much pressure on himself, but it does mean that I still want him to succeed and hope that he will.[/quote]Hmmm - okay.  If it meant when he scored he kissed the badge and saluted the Barclay, I could see that.  The fact is, he doesn''t score.  In terms of that "local boy" argument, you''d do as well to pull a season ticket holder who travels 250 miles to and from each home game out of the crowd and give him the shirt.  He may "bleed yellow and green" but so does the fat bloke behind me who shouts "HOOF!" every time the ball is passed forward one inch of the ground.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"](b) Wiz is right - he has had most of his success with a decent

target man alongside him. In his second spell at City he hasn''t had

one. If we sign Iversen (and I know we may well not), then suddenly (i)

Cureton should get more chances and (ii) the limelight and the pressure

will be on Iversen, which will take it off Cureton who is likely to

score more goals.

[/quote]Aside from suggesting he''s quite a limited player IF he can only play with a target man - what were Ched Evans and Dion Dublin last season?I won''t boo Cureton or get on his back during the game, but my god if he doesn''t improve soon (and at 33, why would he?) then he''s going to be warming the bench under Roeder for some time.  IN fact, I think we''ll see a Lupoli/Russell strike force for the next few games.

I don''t mean that I would like to see him play in front of a better player just because he cares about the club. I just mean that while he is in the side, I will always wish him well.Dublin was rubbish up front last season. The best target man we had last year was Chris Brown. I''m not sure I''ve ever typed a more depressing sentence. Evans was fantastic, but he wasn''t a target man, and he was exceptionally selfish, justifiably so, since he was so much better than everyone else. I don''t think Cureton has played with a proper back-to-goal, unselfish player since he returned. Russell up front is such a depressing thought, especially if he is the best option we have. How has it come to this? We simply must get a centre-forward in this week.

Dublin was rubbish up front last season. The best target man we had last year was Chris Brown.Whatever tablets you''re taking....reduce the dosage!!!

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]Dublin was rubbish up front last season. The best target man we had last year was Chris Brown. [/quote]Hmm.  I quite liked Chris Brown and he was a target of the boo-boys for the simple fact that the whole team under Grant were crap - but I''m not sure he was as good at winning and holding the ball than Evans was.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Robert N. LiM"]Dublin was rubbish up front last season. The best target man we had last year was Chris Brown. [/quote]Hmm.  I quite liked Chris Brown and he was a target of the boo-boys for the simple fact that the whole team under Grant were crap - but I''m not sure he was as good at winning and holding the ball than Evans was.[/quote]I thought Evans was outstanding, and I really hoped that we might sign him - I think we might have done if Eriksson had not left Man City. But he struck me as more of a lone striker figure: I don''t remember him doing that much with his back to goal. Having said that, I have repressed most of my memories of last season, though.I still maintain that Dublin was rubbish up front last season. He had an immense influence on the squad, clearly, and his composure and stature at the back was often very important (I still shiver at the thought of how we fell apart at Loftus road when he went off at half time). But actually in terms of playing well on the field, he didn''t. His player of the season award was clearly for much more than his actual performances.Brown had to go - he couldn''t even find the banjo, let alone flail hopelessly with it in fields full of Friesians. But he was nowhere near as bad as people said he was.

I feel for Jamie. I think the problem with him (and I think Darren Eadie touched on this some time back on the srimmage on Radio Norfolk some time back) is he wants to do well for Norwich because he''s passionate about the club. I think the chances he miss for Norwich effect him more than, say the chances he missed playing for Colchester.

[quote user="Disco Dale"][quote user="crafty canary"]

[quote user="Disco Dale"]I know he has been a bit frustrating but its not going to do anyone any good to start getting on his back.No one really has yet.But I think its coming.We have to remember he doesnt miss on purpose. [/quote]

Oh for goodness sake. He couldn''t hit a barn door and is utterly useless. Misses chance after chance and now can''t even hit the target from 12 yards when given a free shot. How long have we got to continue playing with 10 men because he''s facking crap.

[/quote]

I unerstand you are frustrated but he is not utterly useless.He is however one of those strikers who can miss tap ins but then score more differcult chances therefore he is inconsistant.If you want a striker who scores most of the chances he gets (earnshaw,philips etc)they cost money.Money the board dont seem to want to pay.

[/quote]

He is utterly useless! he had all of last season to prove himself and didnt!

As others have said...Ashton...Earnshaw and now Cureton....a fantastic piece of man management.

[quote user="Yellow Submarine"]I feel for Jamie. I think the problem with him (and I think Darren Eadie touched on this some time back on the srimmage on Radio Norfolk some time back) is he wants to do well for Norwich because he''s passionate about the club. I think the chances he miss for Norwich effect him more than, say the chances he missed playing for Colchester.[/quote]

You feel for him? The man is getting paid a fortune for not doing his job properly!!!

[quote user="city4eva"]

[quote user="Yellow Submarine"]I feel for Jamie. I think the problem with him (and I think Darren Eadie touched on this some time back on the srimmage on Radio Norfolk) is he wants to do well for Norwich because he''s passionate about the club. I think the chances he miss for Norwich effect him more than, say the chances he missed playing for Colchester.[/quote]

You feel for him? The man is getting paid a fortune for not doing his job properly!!!

[/quote]

I don''t think you see where i''m coming from here. He is clearly a player that cares about the cause and wants to be successful for the club. I''ll be the first to say i''m disapointed with his contribution since his been here, but the problem is he tries too hard!

[quote user="Yellow Submarine"][quote user="city4eva"]

[quote user="Yellow Submarine"]I feel for Jamie. I think the problem with him (and I think Darren Eadie touched on this some time back on the srimmage on Radio Norfolk) is he wants to do well for Norwich because he''s passionate about the club. I think the chances he miss for Norwich effect him more than, say the chances he missed playing for Colchester.[/quote]

[/quote]

I don''t think you see where i''m coming from here. He is clearly a player that cares about the cause and wants to be successful for the club. I''ll be the first to say i''m disapointed with his contribution since his been here, but the problem is he tries too hard!

[/quote]

The problem is that he isn''t good enough. And if anything doesn''t usually try hard enough.

i reckon as soon as jamie is playing up front with the elusive big striker he still has the abillity to score twenty goals. cureton is a goalscorer nothing else, he cant run past players with the ball nor can he hold the ball up, two attributes he is having to do with our current system. he is playing with to much responsibillity which is obviously affecting him and preventing him from playing his way.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

he cant run past players with the ball nor can he hold the ball up, two attributes he is having to do with our current system. he is playing with to much responsibillity which is obviously affecting him and preventing him from playing his way.

[/quote]Translation: he''s not very good and can''t cope unless he''s given chances on a plate.  Which brings us to penalty kicks... oh...