Sign in to follow this  
Disco Dale

Go easy on Curo

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Disco Dale"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Disco Dale"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="crafty canary"][quote user="Disco Dale"]

[quote user="kdncfc"]He''s been missing far to many chances since he''s been back here, he''s had plenty of time and I''m afraid he''s not good enough. I would imagine Roeder will drop him next week, in fact I was very surprised that Roeder didn''t try and offload him in the summer. He probably would have done if he hadn''t already needed to get so many new players in.[/quote]

He scored 14 goals in 45 games last season in very poor team.Thats a good return for how much we paid for him.If you want 25-30 goals thats going to cost around 3.5 - 4 million which doesnt look likely does it.

[/quote]

Yes, 2 against Southampton, 2 against Barnet in the Carling Cup and 3 against Colchester. So in the other 42 games he scored 7. As I say he''s crap!

[/quote]

Exactly, if you take away the brace against Barnet and his hat-trick against Colchester his record was very poor. But that''s what you''d expect from a striker who isn''t up to this level of football.

[/quote]

All the scoring records for any striker include penalties , lesser teams etc.Look, I know he is not brillant but the team he was playing in last year was totally hopeless.The point is there is no point making a villain out of him and taking all the rest of the teams failngs out on him.

[/quote]

Ok, lets look at it a different way, how many different league games did he score in?

What''s better; scoring 10 goals in 1 game and winning 10-0 or scoring 1 goal in 10 games and winning each 1-0?

He''s not a villain, he''s just not good enough.

[/quote]

But who are we going to get who is any better?

[/quote]

Well I don''t know how much money is available and who Glenn wants to sign.

But if we''re stuck with Cureton then we''ll be struggling near the drop zone again.

[/quote]

We will be in the lower part of league anyway,with or without Cureton.You cant lose the qualilty of Dublin,Huckerby,Evans without replacing them and expect to finish any higher.

Nobody plays badly on purpous but if you don''t perform, you are not good enough, simple.

We are the makers of our own destiny here. Ashton > Earnshaw > Cureton. You get what you pay for.

[quote user="Disco Dale"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Disco Dale"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Disco Dale"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="crafty canary"][quote user="Disco Dale"]

[quote user="kdncfc"]He''s been missing far to many chances since he''s been back here, he''s had plenty of time and I''m afraid he''s not good enough. I would imagine Roeder will drop him next week, in fact I was very surprised that Roeder didn''t try and offload him in the summer. He probably would have done if he hadn''t already needed to get so many new players in.[/quote]

He scored 14 goals in 45 games last season in very poor team.Thats a good return for how much we paid for him.If you want 25-30 goals thats going to cost around 3.5 - 4 million which doesnt look likely does it.

[/quote]

Yes, 2 against Southampton, 2 against Barnet in the Carling Cup and 3 against Colchester. So in the other 42 games he scored 7. As I say he''s crap!

[/quote]

Exactly, if you take away the brace against Barnet and his hat-trick against Colchester his record was very poor. But that''s what you''d expect from a striker who isn''t up to this level of football.

[/quote]

All the scoring records for any striker include penalties , lesser teams etc.Look, I know he is not brillant but the team he was playing in last year was totally hopeless.The point is there is no point making a villain out of him and taking all the rest of the teams failngs out on him.

[/quote]

Ok, lets look at it a different way, how many different league games did he score in?

What''s better; scoring 10 goals in 1 game and winning 10-0 or scoring 1 goal in 10 games and winning each 1-0?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well I don''t know how much money is available and who Glenn wants to sign.

But if we''re stuck with Cureton then we''ll be struggling near the drop zone again.

[/quote]

We will be in the lower part of league anyway,with or without Cureton.You cant lose the qualilty of Dublin,Huckerby,Evans without replacing them and expect to finish any higher.

[/quote]

Surely that''s the point?

We''re aiming to sign forwards/strikers of much better quality than Jamie Cureton. Which is what those 3 players were/are.

Maybe he has become hopeless or maybe he has just lost confidence?

I don''t know but others missing penalties on Saturday:

Nolan (Bolton) v Newcastle (Given save)

Adomah (Barnet) v Brentford (Harmer save)

Porter (Motherwell) v Dundee (Zaluska save)

Baird (Montrose) v Annan Athletic (hit post).

Possibly others I don''t know about.

The original post wasn''t about whether Cureton should be in the starting eleven, form should dictate that. The post was stating that getting on his back would do nobody any good, for which I agree with.

He''s a confidence player. Hounding him won''t help his confidence, and a confident JC is better for all of us.

[quote user="claud"]

He''s a confidence player. Hounding him won''t help his confidence, and a confident JC is better for all of us.

[/quote]

Missing penalties won''t help his confidence either.

[quote user="Disco Dale"]I know he has been a bit frustrating but its

not going to do anyone any good to start getting on his back.No

one really has yet.But I think its coming.We have to remember he doesnt

miss on purpose. [/quote]

Missing a penalty is more than a "bit frustrating".  Jamie Cureton is

more than a "bit frustrating".  Agree we shouldn''t get on his back, but

realistically we could unveil statues of him in all four corners of the

ground, sing his name for 90 minutes and bow down in worship every time

touches the ball, and he''d still be completely crap.  If you watched

the Championship highlights today you will have seen every other team

(Except Palace, maybe) had a decent, quick, agile striker to lead the

line.  Cureton looks increasingly like a QD equivalent of Earnshaw.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Disco Dale"]I know he has been a bit frustrating but its

[/quote]If only we had Rosario

[quote user="Disco Dale"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Disco Dale"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="crafty canary"][quote user="Disco Dale"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]When we get that elusive big man Cureton will be either second or third choice behind Lupoli and possibly Koroma for the second strikers role.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Disco Dale"]I know he has been a bit frustrating but its

[/quote]If only we had Rosario[/quote]That seems like one of those "complete the following sentence" competitions.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Disco Dale"]I know he has been a bit frustrating but its not going to do anyone any good to start getting on his back.No one really has yet.But I think its coming.We have to remember he doesnt miss on purpose. [/quote]

Missing a penalty is more than a "bit frustrating".  Jamie Cureton is more than a "bit frustrating".  Agree we shouldn''t get on his back, but realistically we could unveil statues of him in all four corners of the ground, sing his name for 90 minutes and bow down in worship every time touches the ball, and he''d still be completely crap.  If you watched the Championship highlights today you will have seen every other team (Except Palace, maybe) had a decent, quick, agile striker to lead the line.  Cureton looks increasingly like a QD equivalent of Earnshaw.

[/quote]

Its not Curetons fault we havent signed the required players.If a player is trying his best we should get behind him.If he wasnt giving a 100% he deserves serious stick but he is.I totally agree with your OD point but if you want Earnshaw quality you have to pay Earnshaw money and thats not Curetons fault.Apparently Earnshaw was down here talking to Norwich pre season and was wlling to come back but guess what? we wouldnt pay the money.

Jamie is very much a confidence player, a lot of strikers are, but making him the new whipping boy will not help that one bit.

I''ve read some playground, juvenile crap written on this thread about him, mostly by people who have achieved sod all in life.......and never will...So he missed a penalty, so what? name me a player in professional football who hasn''t.

They ignore that JC all his career has played off a good tall strike partner, Dion was never that for City, Iwan was. He needs that kind of player with him now imo.

But I won''t waste my time trying to convince people who made up their small minds against Jamie months ago, they will not listen now, nor will they if his form returns with a vengence.

And thats all I want to say on this.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

I''ve read some playground, juvenile crap written on this thread about him, mostly by people who have achieved sod all in life.......and never will...So he missed a penalty, so what? name me a player in professional football who hasn''t.

[/quote]It''s a bit rich for you to talk about playground juvenile crap when you insist on referring to "Rodent", "baby loanees" and the like.  But we all have our favourites, he''s one of yours and that''s fair enough.  Doc''s one of mine, and they have more in common than you might think - both try hard, put 100% into each game and, ultimately, both just aren''t very good.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

So he missed a penalty, so what? name me a player in professional football who hasn''t.

[/quote]Zinedine Zidane.Of course, you could use this as more evidence as to why Jamie Lad is a bit like Roberto Baggio.In other news:[img]http://www.mayberrywebdesign.com/Web/barn%20c/Barn%20Door.jpg[/img][img]http://img5.travelblog.org/Photos/16386/239500/t/1914760-Cows-Arse-1.jpg[/img][img]http://www.shubb.com/banjo/pix/banjo2239.jpg[/img]

No, i won''t go easy on Cureton! He''s crap! Not good enough and misses so so many chances! I had enough of him last season and all his missed chances, and it''s a very big reason why we finished so close to the bottom! I find it hard to believe he''s still here, and people on here defend him and feel sorry for him!

Wiz,

Much as I''ve tried to give Cureton the benefit of the doubt, comments about him in the press saying he was blameless for not scoring against Coventry just give him more rope in my opinion. Of course he wasn''t blameless but if he begins to believe that kind of writing he is seriously deluded: in truth the article should really have read he was clueless. It is the job of the main goal scorer to take the blame in some cases for our shortcomings, not to apportion blame elsewhere when it is his job on the field to go looking for chances. At MK, I can''t recall him having any input and the best thing to do at present is to relieve him of the pressure to get his head straight.

To say he always plays off a big man is missing the point. There are penalty misses and also penalty saves out there. I have no trouble with penalties that are on target and then saved; you can''t ask anyone more than to at least get it on target. If the keeper guesses correctly and saves it, then so be it but to be that far away from the target yesterday was unacceptable. You can''t deny that over the last season and this, he has missed some absolute sitters: some of those alongside a big man in Dublin.

The best way to go easy on Curo at the moment is to drop him because the boy is suffering out there and with the quality of defence that Birmingham have, the pressure will be immense come Saturday.

He''s League 2 possibly League 1 quality now but OTT as far as Championship football is concerned. He waits for things to happen rather than ttry to make them happen and that won''t change with a big man alongside him at this level.  

[quote user="colneycanary"]No, i won''t go easy on Cureton! He''s crap! Not good enough and misses so so many chances! I had enough of him last season and all his missed chances, and it''s a very big reason why we finished so close to the bottom! I find it hard to believe he''s still here, and people on here defend him and feel sorry for him![/quote]

Your right he does miss chances but who are you going to get for simlair money?If City are serious about a play off spot we will need to spend 3.5-4 million on a striker, thats what you pay now for a top championship striker.You get what you pay for but again its not his fault.If you want to take it out on someone take it out on the board.And as for last season I dont think you can blame all of that shambles on Cureton.We could have had Torres up front and still been useless and spineless.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

So he missed a penalty, so what? name me a player in professional football who hasn''t.

[/quote]

Zinedine Zidane.

Of course, you could use this as more evidence as to why Jamie Lad is a bit like Roberto Baggio.

In other news:

[img]http://www.mayberrywebdesign.com/Web/barn%20c/Barn%20Door.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img5.travelblog.org/Photos/16386/239500/t/1914760-Cows-Arse-1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.shubb.com/banjo/pix/banjo2239.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

These pictures are funny . nothing wrong with having a laugh as long as the vindictive booing doesnt start.

Cureton is good enough

...to match the level of ambition of "bottom 6" that so many on here seem more than quite content with.

[quote user="Disco Dale"]I know he has been a bit frustrating but its not going to do anyone any good to start getting on his back.No one really has yet.But I think its coming.We have to remember he doesnt miss on purpose. [/quote]

Put me out there on Saturday on several thousand pounds a week and i wouldn''t miss just to p**s of the supporters but it wouldn''t make me a good footballer who wasn''t caught off side far too many times and who needed ten chances to be created to score one goal.

Mind you......wasn''t that Keegan''s parting shot at Huckerby when he set out for Norfolk.

Mind you again - Jamie or Huckerby in your side?

Wiz you say you want us to succeed, but then totally lose all credibility by backing arguably our worst striker. Cureton has proven to us he needs about 10 chances to score a goal, a pitiful conversion rate, and yesterday cemented his place on the bench in the next game by missing a free shot at goal from 12 yards. I''m sorry, but if he is such a good striker, he should be putting them away, and at least hitting the target!!! I''m not a pro, I''ve never missed a pen, it really isn''t that hard to score even if the keeper guesses the right way.

Cureton is not good enough for us, and the sooner you realise that the better.

[quote user="ncfcstar"]Wiz you say you want us to succeed, but then totally lose all credibility by backing arguably our worst striker. Cureton has proven to us he needs about 10 chances to score a goal, a pitiful conversion rate, and yesterday cemented his place on the bench in the next game by missing a free shot at goal from 12 yards. I''m sorry, but if he is such a good striker, he should be putting them away, and at least hitting the target!!! I''m not a pro, I''ve never missed a pen, it really isn''t that hard to score even if the keeper guesses the right way. Cureton is not good enough for us, and the sooner you realise that the better.[/quote]

So who is good enough for us?

Not Cureton, obviously. In my opinion Lupoli proved to us yesterday that he can take his chances when presented.

You will now throw back, what about the open goal against Blackpool, well don''t forget the only reason the ball came anywhere near him was because Cureton completely scuffed a 1 on 1, and Lupoli wouldn''t expect him to miss. But then he doesn''t know yet that Cureton rarely takes his chances.

Post of the year so far, Mr ChopsIt''s become such a cliche, a dead metaphor if you will, that it''s easy to forget what a genius phrase "he couldn''t hit a cow''s arse with a banjo" is. Fabulously vivid. Was it Dave "Harry" Bassett who coined it?Back to Jamie. I am going to continue to go easy on Cureton because (a) in this totally dispiriting era of mercenary players it is genuinely refreshing to see someone who cares about the club as much as I do. That doesn''t make him a better player, in fact, it probably makes him a worse player, because he''s clearly putting too much pressure on himself, but it does mean that I still want him to succeed and hope that he will.(b) Wiz is right - he has had most of his success with a decent target man alongside him. In his second spell at City he hasn''t had one. If we sign Iversen (and I know we may well not), then suddenly (i) Cureton should get more chances and (ii) the limelight and the pressure will be on Iversen, which will take it off Cureton who is likely to score more goals.(c) all this "he couldn''t score from 12 yards" stuff is ridiculous.  I particularly enjoyed the guy who said "I''ve never missed a penalty." So are you a better player than Chris Waddle? David Beckham? etc etc. All sorts of players miss penalties. We saw last season that Cureton finished chances better when they were instinctive, not when he had time to think about them. You never have more time to think about it than when you''re taking a pen. You could argue that therefore he should have given the chance to Hoolahan. But the fact he missed is irrelevant in this debate, except to say that it confirms how much pressure he''s under.(d) At present, we don''t have anyone better.In a few minutes, someone will post "The only reason he is under pressure is because he is missing chances." Which is partly true. He has also, at different times in his second spell, been starved of decent service, bereft of a decent partner, been criticised by both managers. Soon after that, someone will post "I''ll take that pressure for his wages". His wages have nothing to do with it. Scoring goals is a difficult job and it becomes more difficult the more you can''t do it (there''s an obvious comparison there somewhere...). And throughout, I will continue to wish Jamie all the best.

I think if fans do have a problem with Cureton then it is best they voice it on message boards, in the pub etc. rather than letting the frustration spill over at the ground in the form of booing etc (which i think to any player, let alone a striker, is pretty destructive).

When he is on the pitch he is city through and through like any other player in green and yellow, off the pitch if he isnt performing I reserve the right to tell whoever I like.

My thoughts on Cureton are that there are plenty of players that only strike gold for one or two seasons in their career and Cureton is one of those and the gold has run out.......

[quote user="ncfcstar"]Not Cureton, obviously. In my opinion Lupoli proved to us yesterday that he can take his chances when presented. You will now throw back, what about the open goal against Blackpool, well don''t forget the only reason the ball came anywhere near him was because Cureton completely scuffed a 1 on 1, and Lupoli wouldn''t expect him to miss. But then he doesn''t know yet that Cureton rarely takes his chances.[/quote]

I will not throw back the Lupoli chance against Blackpool because that is football,it doesnt make him a bad player.He will miss a good few chances this season as well because he is not top top quality.We see a lot of top draw strikers in the Premier/Champions league etc and it puts our expectations up probably a bit too much.If you want a striker who is virtually guaranteed to convert nearly all his chances we need to be in for David Villa,Torres,Eto,van Nistelrooy etc and I cant quite see that happening can you?

[quote user="Disco Dale"]I know he has been a bit frustrating but its not going to do anyone any good to start getting on his back.No one really has yet.But I think its coming.We have to remember he doesnt miss on purpose. [/quote]

Okay Wiz [;)]