Sign in to follow this  
Tunstead Yella

Notty"s Benefit match.

This was the story in edp/pink:

Norwich City fans are set to see an East Anglian derby this season after all.

Former Canaries forward Alex Notman, whose career was cut short by a serious ankle injury, has been granted a benefit game at Carrow Road on Friday, October 8.

The game will see former City and Ipswich Town players line up against each other in support of Notman, who was forced to retire from the game at the age of 23.

Organisers are also hopeful that special guests such as former England and Spurs legend Paul Gascoigne and ex-England and Manchester United player Paul Parker will be available to take part.

Notman declared: "They didn'' t have to offer it to me – it''s not like I d been there for 10 years or anything like that.

"But I am very pleased that they have been kind enough to offer this game to me - now it''s just a case of what opposition we can get there."

Notman, a product of the Manchester United youth system, had hoped Sir Alex Ferguson would be able to send a team but after speaking to the Red Devils supremo it became apparent that they had too many prior commitments.

"As soon as we found out that we were going to be granted this game I got on the phone to Sir Alex and he sounded quite positive at first and he said he''d see what he could do," explained Notman.

"But then when he phoned back he said that it wasn''t possible as they had too many commitments as you can understand of a club like Manchester United.

"As much as I am disappointed, they are probably getting requests all the time for games like this so I can understand why not and I''ve just got get on with it.

"Hopefully it will be a great day for the fans, for me and for everyone involved in the preparations. There will be past and present Norwich and Ipswich players. As there isn''t going to be a derby this year, perhaps this will do instead."

The match will provide a great opportunity for fans to see household names from the late 1970s, 80s and90s such as City s Peter Mendham, Phil Lythgoe, Bryan Gunn, Jeremy Goss, Robert Fleck, Mike Milligan, Dale Gordon and Town s John Wark, Simon Milton, Trevor Putney, Terry Butcher.

It will also mark the return for the first time of City legend Iwan Roberts to Carrow Road since summer switch to Gillingham.

Joe Royle, fixtures permitting, has said he will manage the town side and it is hoped Nigel Worthington will similarly take up the reins of the City XI.