Sign in to follow this  
hook norton canary

hands on heart- will we buy anyone before tuesday?

I think we are looking at a similar situation to the Huckerby transfer, Wothy has obviously gone to the board on Thursday and said if the board really want Norwich in this league we will have to spend money. His comments last night confirmed this.
As for the target worthy confirmed he has three targets. Harewood, JJ & A.N.Other. West Ham want £2m for Harewood so that could be the one Worthy is asking the board to stretch for. I don''t think we have got enough time to complete this signing, Harewood played yesterday so the clubs have not agreed a fee as of Saturday.

I certainly hope so cos as well as Doc played yesterday for me he lacks the pace to trouble the top defences. Hucks was awesome yesterday and if we had a target man with pace(Harewood) we would truly have a forward line to fear. I am hopeful that we''ll get someone in as most of the ground work for a move may already be done.

Please please get Ashton off Crewe. Fast, tall, skillfull, good finisher. I fear too expensive. Harewood would be better than nobody, but he is a whinger, think he may dampen the team spirit. I don''t know if there''d be enough room for his and Darren''s ego, in the side.

I bloody well hope so Silver Fox. I''ve said all a long that ''HE'' Harewood would sign. Could I be wrong. Unthinkable!.

When you''re promoted you really must strengthen the squad. City have not invested nearly enough or spent much either, on REAL premier class, quality players.

Delia always said she would rather have financial security than staying in the Prem. I fear her damn attitude will take us straight back down for another SECURE nine years, in the wilderness!.

I''m not sure they''ll sign somebody before Tuesday but I do think they need somebody brought as cover up front. If Hucks goes down injured who do they have who can replace him?

That said, can somebody please, please, please explain to me why we need to buy a target man?

Do Arsenal play with a target man? Do they hell, you can count the number of goals Henry scores with his head in a season on one hand!!!

It does require a change in the fundamental style of play but hey this is the Premiership. Look at the teams that are really successful and you''ll find they play with pace and movement and the ball on the deck. Stick a target man in the mix and you immediately offer the back four an option of the big hoof.

We really need another goal scorer up front. Doherty has played really well (Svensson could learn a lot in terms of heading/hold-up ability there) but Nigel has said he''s not a long-term up front solution.
Fingers crossed, say a prayer and Harewood will come - he and Hucks took us apart at the City Ground 2 seasons ago and their combined pace would be frightening.

Totally agree with Morph about our style of play.

Like it or not , and although we do sometimes mix up the style, Worthy is a long ball merchant. He denies it of course but his team selection and the way we play confirms that preferred approach. This obsession with a ''target man'' will cost is dear. What that means in reality is a continuation of the hoof up the middle to a big fella who spends almost all game with his back to the opposition goal!!

At Christmas Worthy replaces one target man (Robbo) with another (Svennson). No wot seems that he is not up to the job so we sign a centre half and play him up front. Whilst Doherty can win the ball in the air he is not a goalscorer and lacks the pace needed to trouble defences. I fear if we sign anyone it will be that geezer from Charlton who I can''t believe is any better than Svennson.

Those who favour a target man say that you need ''someone to hold the ball up''. That''s rubbish! Any professional footballer should be able to control a pass and shield the ball which is all a ''target man'' does.

Of the names mentioned, Harewood has pace and a good goal scoring record whilst Ashton is a good young talent. Why did''nt Worthy offer Rivers + £750,000 or so to try and get Ashton?
Instead we end up PAYING Crewe to take Rivers off our books! That''s another point about Worthy''s transfer record, how much money has he actually raised in sales? Apart from Darrel Russell, has anyone else been sold for cash?

Apparently Malky is going to be in a part exchange deal for marlon harewood.Do you think there is any truth behind this?Me personally think that its not true.

From very good sources I hear the Harewood rumours will be a done deal by the end of today (monday)

The thing is being in the prem is the only way to ensure the club will be financially secure 1st wiz. I feel exactly the same way as you, we have been to cautious in our spending and as a result have left ourselves with an even more difficult task. It''s weird hearing fans telling the club not to spend to much as it''s normally the other way round. I just hope that we sign a target man at least before tuesday cos as you say if we go down it would not be as easy to come back as some people seem to think.

Providing Joe 90 is telling the truth this is really building up to a final crescendo which would suit me perfectly as I have always rated Harewood.

Steady on,Yellow Rider - don''t you know it is sacrilege to criticize the transfer record of Nigel?
As it happens, I tend to agree with you, in that under scrutiny Nigel''s transfer record is not particularly good when considering every deal, both in and out, that he has been involved in.
That being said, we DO need another forward, and we need him NOW! As to whether it should be a targetman or a poacher we have a dilemma. We have played with a target man for many, many years and it can suit our style of play. However, hardly any of the "top" teams play this way. Indeed, I think our best strike duo ever was Ted McDougall and "Charley" Boyer - neither of them was a target man but we played decisive, fluid, attacking football in that particular era. As to candidates - Harewood would work for us and I would be happy to see him here. Actually, I would be ecstatic! I am not keen on Charlton''s fourth choice striker - he would be no better than "Matty". Dean Ashton won''t be coming either, neither will he be going anywhere else - the guy has a fundemental flaw and that is why no other Club has gone in for him, despite all the scouting that has been done on him over the past couple of years.
The truth is we aren''t going to be signing anyone - we have spent our money on 2(?) goalkeepers, a defender in his 30''s, a "utility" player and a wide midfielder that both have yet to impress, and an 8th midfielder who I couldn''t recall as being particularly good when he played against us last year - oh, and Bentley, who WAS worth the pen on the paper.
We have not spent what money we did have sensibly, there appears to be no balance when it was clear that we needed one more player up front from the outset.
So, Yellow Rider, if you are starting a new religion, I will be a devotee!!

maybe we should wait till the end of deadline tuesday before we get too down on this. we never know what''s round the corner.

It''s nearly midday on the 30th, so if Worthy does have someone in mind, he''ll have to work pretty fast! By the way, Joe 90, who are your sources? Is it someone worthwhile, or is it the younger brother of a mate who knows a cleaner down at Carrow Road - something similarly tenuous?

I dont know where this info has come from either about Malky in part exchange because I have scrutinised every web site this morning and found absolutely nothing. If these are true then fair enough but if it is just idle gossip then it just gets the fans worked up over nothing.

its cutting it fine but who knows what could happen?! someone give Nige a call and find out!!

another interesting one, who''s worthy going to take in on loan this season? maybe its a bit early to tell but he made public last season that he''s willing to use it as a tactic... will it work in the prem?

personally, i think its all getting too easy for monsieur henry at arsenal! come spend a few months in norfolk! we''ve got snails!

can i nameanother website or will i get shouted at by the mods:) i think it was on canarycorner there norwich writer said he had heard the deal, but who knows how much he knows, maybe his brother''s wife''s walks worthington''s dog or something. we''ll wait and see.

rich:)

I wouldn''t give too much credence to Canary Corner - their normal "inside sources" are the official, archant and bbc websites - and their scoops are how fast they can cut and paste the stories off of these :)

Can''t see they''ve suddenly found a decent source inside the club...