Sign in to follow this  
TheboyMark

Another player interview mentions the target man issue..

I guess Lupoli''s comments in the EDP can be added to the list of players who''ve recntly mentioned the all too glaring need for this hole in the team to be filled.  Are we really looking at the possibility of Roeder having to get someone off his C list at the 11th hour to fill this postion?  It''s such an important signing for us.  I can''t believe we''ve even started the season without such a player.  I honestly think Birmingham will kinda be a yardstick to judge not only how we shape up against a team who are surely likely to be top 3 in the final shake-up, but as a comparison in terms of a confident forward line compared to one where every player interviewed in the press cites the same need for a target man to play alongside.  I look forward to the club trying to spin this whole saga after the window closes.

[quote] I honestly think Birmingham will kinda be a yardstick to judge not only how we shape up against a team who are surely likely to be top 3 in the final shake-up[/quote]

You mean like Stoke and Hull were last season ?  We''ll see...  They do have a very good front line and have started well though, but maybe they''re due to drop some points.

Glad you mentioned Stoke and Hull, since they display another aspect lacking in our team this season; the lack of height and physicality, I think this will see us come a cropper against those supposedly less attractive teams who make up in brawn what they lack in footballing brains.  We don''t really have much of an adaptable squad this season.

Our lack of height and physicality certainly did for us last season, mainly because we weren''t pinging the ball around in the manner that a "short" team has to in order to win matches.  If we can play the ball on the floor though, as we appear to have done in outr early matches, then those hulking players are going to get tired, their long balls are going to come straight back at them, and we''ll spend more time in their half as a result. 

I was under the impression that IF Rosenborg LOSE against Djurgardens IF (agg 1-2) in the UEFA cup qualifier we will sign Steffen Iversen.....and all our problems will be over [:D]

I see Akinfenwa was too strong for Danny Shittu last night and scored a couple of goals. Don''t know much about him but he seems like a good prospect for us.

[quote user="Lord Snooty"]I see Akinfenwa was too strong for Danny Shittu last night and scored a couple of goals. Don''t know much about him but he seems like a good prospect for us.[/quote]Hes 26, started off in the Lithuaian League before moving to Barry Town. Born in London, is eligible for Nigeria. Was on Watford''s books as a youngsterstats are:

2001–2003

2003–2004

2004–2005

2005–2007

2007–2008

2008-
FK Atlantas

Barry Town

Boston United

Leyton Orient

Rushden & Diamonds

Doncaster Rovers

Torquay United

Swansea City

Millwall

Northampton Town

09 0(6)

03 0(0)

01 0(0)

00 0(0)

09 0(4)

37 (14)

59 (14)

07 0(0)

15 0(7)   

I think we should put a bid in for that big meat head who plays for Barnsley - caused havoc vs Chelsea in the FA cup last season!! [:P]

[quote user="StokeCanary"]I think we should put a bid in for that big meat head who plays for Barnsley - caused havoc vs Chelsea in the FA cup last season!! [:P][/quote]

yeah but Barnsley will ask for 350,000 Norwich will offer 150,000 and Doncaster will say we did our best but we just couldn''t match their asking price.

[quote user="StokeCanary"]I think we should put a bid in for that big meat head who plays for Barnsley - caused havoc vs Chelsea in the FA cup last season!! [:P][/quote]

the guy who scored 3 league goals last season despite featuring in 42 games

[quote user="ncfc_chris"]

the guy who scored 3 league goals last season despite featuring in 42 games

[/quote]

I don''t know anything about him but it wouldn''t matter if he was prolific or barely proficient the Doomcaster just rolls out the same old message..... "we did our best..... but... etc etc"

I thought we were looking for a target man for the likes of Lupoli and Cureton to play off - not a proven goal scorer. You need to bear in mind that Dion only scored 7 goals in 37 games last season....but did a great job of holding it up and creating for others. Odejayi could do a job IMO 

Odejayi?!!!!!! Are you kidding? He is terrible, and to even mention him in the same sentence as Dion is heresy.

[quote user="StokeCanary"]

I thought we were looking for a target man for the likes of Lupoli and Cureton to play off - not a proven goal scorer. You need to bear in mind that Dion only scored 7 goals in 37 games last season....but did a great job of holding it up and creating for others. Odejayi could do a job IMO 

[/quote]

i can''t believe you''re putting Kayode Odejayi on the same level as Dion Dublin.

even if your target man isn''t going to score shed loads they still need to knock in their fair share, Dion chipped in with goals and could finish when given a chance, Odejayi simply doesn''t know where the goal is and can''t hit a barn door, Dublin was not only big and strong but had a tremendous footballing brain and a superb touch, Odejayi has neither

Chris Brown anyone?! Dion scored 7 because he was used in defence a great deal, i''m sure if he played 46 games up front, he''d have got more. I''d be happy to see a target man come in, score 10 goals, but help lupoli to 20 odd, Koroma to a few and Curo to 10. 45-50 goals from our forwards this year and we''ll be laughing. Add 15 from midfield and 5-10 from the back, and we''ll have 70 league goals, which ain''t too shabby.

[quote user="ncfc_chris"][quote user="StokeCanary"]

[/quote]

i can''t believe you''re putting Kayode Odejayi on the same level as Dion Dublin.

even if your target man isn''t going to score shed loads they still need to knock in their fair share, Dion chipped in with goals and could finish when given a chance, Odejayi simply doesn''t know where the goal is and can''t hit a barn door, Dublin was not only big and strong but had a tremendous footballing brain and a superb touch, Odejayi has neither

[/quote]

I''m just looking through what I wrote...searching for the part where I said: ''Odejayi is the next Dion Dublin''....I didn''t say that you tool. All I was impling is that Odejayi could do a job as a target man for Lupoli/Cureton to play off....considering we can''t afford Steve Howard I though he could be a decent and cheap aquisition! Mamma Sidibe did a great job for Stoke last season, with Fuller scoring alongside him.....Sidibe scored 4 goals for the team that finished 2nd