Sign in to follow this  
Badger

Evening News stirring it up...

bout time the paper showed some balls and asked the questions the fans want answering!

interesting slant on Roeders comments at the bottom... is this the sign of someone slowly starting to lose the plot?

jas :)

GR does not appear to be a great friend of the press, I get the impression he dislikes answering Chris Goreham''s questions post match, and press conferences to announce new players are a thing of the past.  Not saying he''s wrong just an observation and if this is the case then Archant and other media, displaying a more aggressive style of journalism toward the club would''nt surpirse me.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

bout time the paper showed some balls and asked the questions the fans want answering!

interesting slant on Roeders comments at the bottom... is this the sign of someone slowly starting to lose the plot?

[/quote]

Or alternatively someone showing that he has no favourites and is not prepared to put up with sub-standard performance (although personally, I prefer these things behind closed doors).

[quote user="Badger"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

Or alternatively someone showing that he has no favourites and is not prepared to put up with sub-standard performance (although personally, I prefer these things behind closed doors).

[/quote]

I''m struggling to understand the problem that people are having with Roeder''s comments.A manager is interviewed and gives a forthright and honest appraisal of the game.What would people prefer? A load of anodyne comments with no substance?I want to know what my manager''s views are.As for the effect on the player,one assumes that if Hoolahan plays a blinder against Brum he will expect Roeder to praise him from the rooftops.Taking the rough with the smooth is the frame that comes to mind.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Badger"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I''m struggling to understand the problem that people are having with Roeder''s comments.A manager is interviewed and gives a forthright and honest appraisal of the game.What would people prefer? A load of anodyne comments with no substance?I want to know what my manager''s views are.As for the effect on the player,one assumes that if Hoolahan plays a blinder against Brum he will expect Roeder to praise him from the rooftops.Taking the rough with the smooth is the frame that comes to mind.

[/quote]

i dont have a problem with roeder being critical.. after all thats part of his job i expect.. but he could use it as a team excuse rather than singling out an individual....

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Badger"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

i dont have a problem with roeder being critical.. after all thats part of his job i expect.. but he could use it as a team excuse rather than singling out an individual....

[/quote]

I understand what you mean,but in practice that approach ends up causing more problems.For my sins I spent many seasons managing and coaching Ridgeons sides and ,believe me,I tried all sorts of approaches.What I found was that if I criticised the whole team when one individual was clearly responsible I ended up with 10 very disgruntled and resentful players.If I criticised the individual one of two things happened.He either had the balls to accept it and try to go out and prove me wrong in the next game or sulked and didn''t get picked.My point is that managers know which of their players will respond,and I''m guessing that Roeder feels that a kick up the arse is the bet thing in this particular case.

We seem to go over this one time and time again - some like managers having opinions on things and speaking out in public, others don''t.  I personally can''t see the problem depending on how it is done, and I can''t see that Roeder has gone over the line, at least not yet; it seems to me that so far his criticisms have generally been constructive, though have not always been taken as being....the thing is that quotes can often appear misleading when not given any context (eg what the question is that is being answered).

This is one thing that Worthy got spot on - he never put his players down, or complained about them in public.  It was all done (where it should be) behind closed doors away from the public eye.

Granty was worse than GR for it - and I don''t believe it is the way to get the best out of your team be it business or football.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Badger"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So why doesn''t he just say'''' I really wasn''t happy with some aspects of the match today'''' leave it at that.  A lot of us groaned and moaned about PG, when in fact GR is getting just as bad.

[quote user="Stella Canary"]

This is one thing that Worthy got spot on - he never put his players down, or complained about them in public.  It was all done (where it should be) behind closed doors away from the public eye.

Granty was worse than GR for it - and I don''t believe it is the way to get the best out of your team be it business or football.

[/quote]

I would go as far as saying this in the one thing Worthington got wrong! His interviews consisted of the same lines! He would always say something along the lines of  "great comitment.....great work ethic....passion etc, etc" I felt he was a text book speaker!

I admire people who say what they think, instead of those who say what they think people want to hear!

You''re not being fair there. I can remember occasions where Worthy lambasted players in public, especially when he once laid into Marshall the midfielder.  I cannot remember the reason but perhaps somebody here can.

Personally, I think Roeder''s doing a good job as the team are putting in some great performances, although we have not had a lot of luck with those 3 penalties against us. He must be doing something right !

[quote user="paul moy"]

You''re not being fair there. I can remember occasions where Worthy lambasted players in public, especially when he once laid into Marshall the midfielder.  I cannot remember the reason but perhaps somebody here can.

Personally, I think Roeder''s doing a good job as the team are putting in some great performances, although we have not had a lot of luck with those 3 penalties against us. He must be doing something right !

[/quote]

Fair point, I just got really annoyed with Worthington''s post match interviews towards the end of his era. All im saying is we should be grateful for having a manager who isn''t affraid to speak his mind, which on some occasions, I felt Worthy was!  

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Badger"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So why doesn''t he just say'''' I really wasn''t happy with some aspects of the match today'''' leave it at that.  A lot of us groaned and moaned about PG, when in fact GR is getting just as bad.

[/quote]

You mean you want him to lie? He was clearly steamed up and told the reporter what he was thinking.To me that shows passion and honesty,even if it was uncomfortable for Hoolahan.Football is an emotional game and I prefer to see evidence that someone cares rather than hear the bland cliches that becoming all too prevalent.Wouldn''t you rather know what your manager is actually thinking?

The irony is that every day we get people on here moaning that they are kept in the dark by the club.Now Roeder is criticised for being open.There''s no winning,is there?

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Badger"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You mean you want him to lie? He was clearly steamed up and told the reporter what he was thinking.To me that shows passion and honesty,even if it was uncomfortable for Hoolahan.Football is an emotional game and I prefer to see evidence that someone cares rather than hear the bland cliches that becoming all too prevalent.Wouldn''t you rather know what your manager is actually thinking?

The irony is that every day we get people on here moaning that they are kept in the dark by the club.Now Roeder is criticised for being open.There''s no winning,is there?

[/quote]

Great post, I agree with you 100%

If the club are not volunteering information as regularly as they once did, I would''nt put it past the Press to perhaps write an antagonistic article in order to force a response, I reckon it might go on.  [:D]  Lets face it, people saying something in order to get a reaction goes on elsewhere.  I shall say this ''Izzy Wizzy let''s get busy'', for no particular reason.  [;)]

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Badger"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Did I say I wanted him to lie? Erm nope, ok that''s sorted then.

There are ways of saying things in public and dealing with things in public, and dread that he will one day overstep that fine line.

That discomfort to Hooly may have egged him on, or it may have the adverse reaction so that if GR keeps lambasting him he will not want to play for him.  Ohhhh wait, havent we been here before, different manager, same situation.

All I am saying is there is a very fine line and I just hope GR doesn''t cross it.

[quote user="AndyJR"]If the club are not volunteering information as regularly as they once did, I would''nt put it past the Press to perhaps write an antagonistic article in order to force a response, I reckon it might go on.  [:D]  Lets face it, people saying something in order to get a reaction goes on elsewhere.  I shall say this ''Izzy Wizzy let''s get busy'', for no particular reason.  [;)]
[/quote]

lol izzy wizzy, how old are you again??? [:D]

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Badger"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Did I say I wanted him to lie? Erm nope, ok that''s sorted then.

There are ways of saying things in public and dealing with things in public, and dread that he will one day overstep that fine line.

That discomfort to Hooly may have egged him on, or it may have the adverse reaction so that if GR keeps lambasting him he will not want to play for him.  Ohhhh wait, havent we been here before, different manager, same situation.

All I am saying is there is a very fine line and I just hope GR doesn''t cross it.

[/quote]

I understand what you are saying and largely agree,but to refer back to one of my earlier posts on this,Roeder knows what sort of character Hoolahan is and will have taken that into account(or at least I hope so!).

Oh,and I didn''t say that you''d said you wanted Roeder to lie.My point was that for him to say anything other than what he actually thought would,de facto,constitute a lie.Hope we''re straight on that one now! : )

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[quote user="AndyJR"]If the club are not volunteering information as regularly as they once did, I would''nt put it past the Press to perhaps write an antagonistic article in order to force a response, I reckon it might go on.  [:D]  Lets face it, people saying something in order to get a reaction goes on elsewhere.  I shall say this ''Izzy Wizzy let''s get busy'', for no particular reason.  [;)]
[/quote]

lol izzy wizzy, how old are you again??? [:D]

[/quote]

Listen to these and you will be able to guess my era ( the first one is where ''Izzy Wizzy let''s get busy'' comes from.  [:D]

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nPG0ov5Ml20

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TSDeoO-j3G0

A word to the wise.

One important lesson I was taught the hard way in my career -  never antagonise the press,  you can''t win.

One love.

To the world!

OTBC

[quote user="Badger"]

http://new.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/Sport/ChampionshipChat/story.aspx?brand=ENOnline&category=ChampionshipChat&tBrand=ENOnline&tCategory=ChampionshipChat&itemid=NOED28%20Aug%202008%2013%3A13%3A06%3A117

Not new- makes you wonder if there is some sort of agenda?

[/quote]if it makes a player raise his game....then im all for it...substandered perfomances are unexceptable to the manager and should not be also be unexceptable to the fans...we were all moaning last season(early) that players were just turning out and collecting their pay check...good on ya GR

i totally agree with Beauseant, some great posts there. if some people think that was a bashing from roedy then god your soft cos that''s nothing, i think its been all blown out of proportion. i don''t care what he says to the press these footballers are all wrapped up in cotton wool and payed to much money and if they get upset by a little comment then they can f off its a game for men not pansies, if i don''t perform to my ability id expect my boss to throw a few f''''s into me like i would to my staff if there not pulling there weight.

[quote user="filthyrich"]

i totally agree with Beauseant, some great posts there. if some people think that was a bashing from roedy then god your soft cos that''s nothing, i think its been all blown out of proportion. i don''t care what he says to the press these footballers are all wrapped up in cotton wool and payed to much money and if they get upset by a little comment then they can f off its a game for men not pansies, if i don''t perform to my ability id expect my boss to throw a few f''''s into me like i would to my staff if there not pulling there weight.

[/quote]

I guess it''s sort of like a verbal public flogging, it''s done in an office/room normally away from other staff and the general public.

I agree they should be told that they haven''t played well, or that the boss is angry with them, but to do it so publicly after stating that he would not ever do so is IMO a little out of order.

I actually would prefer the manager to lie.The manager is employed to win games, not to entertain the press and us at these interminable and pointless press conferences. To win games you need to motivate your players. I strongly believe that players can be motivated by the arm round the shoulder or the kick up the arse, and it''s up to the manager to decide who needs what. But football is a team game, you have to build team spirit and togetherness, and I don''t see how such things can be anything other than undermined when the manager goes public with his criticisms of a player. You keep your arguments inside the dressing-room - to the outside world you present a united front, all the time.I''ll say it again - the best managers don''t do it.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="filthyrich"]

[/quote]

I guess it''s sort of like a verbal public flogging, it''s done in an office/room normally away from other staff and the general public.

I agree they should be told that they haven''t played well, or that the boss is angry with them, but to do it so publicly after stating that he would not ever do so is IMO a little out of order.

[/quote]

I''m sorry but I disagree.Does the average employee get paid thousands a week for playing a game,or receive the adulation of thousands of fans? Footballers do what most of us dream of and cannot be compared to normal workplace situations.As I''ve said earlier,they''ll take all the plaudits publicly,so they have to accept the downside.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="filthyrich"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I''m sorry but I disagree.Does the average employee get paid thousands a week for playing a game,or receive the adulation of thousands of fans? Footballers do what most of us dream of and cannot be compared to normal workplace situations.As I''ve said earlier,they''ll take all the plaudits publicly,so they have to accept the downside.

[/quote]Why? In this case I would have thought it was exactly the same. If I screw up at work, I would expect a rocket from the boss, but I would be seriously put out if he criticised me publicly afterwards. By contrast, if he stuck up for me, I would have increased loyalty to him and want to do better to make it up to him. I just can''t see how it''s any different for a footballer - the fact they''re paid a lot or operate in the public eye seems irrelevant to me.Surely what works is the most important thing - and I just can''t see how singling a player out for public criticism is going to make him play better.An afterthought on Worthy. When we were stuffed by Arsenal (a) in the Prem season, he defiantly defended his players in front of the MOTD cameras, despite the fact they were appalling that day. In the quieter waters of Monday''s EDP, he made it clear he was unhappy with them. Brilliant man-management, I thought. We beat Man Utd the following weekend.

Although I am still on GR''s side in general, he is out of order here. You will not find it in any "how to manager people" techniques to humiliate them in public. There''s no mileage in it. If someone needs a dressing down what possible advantage is there to do it in public rather than in private? Put it this way, you have had an off day, perhaps you didn''t complete that bit of work for your Boss on time. Which you would prefer, being called into the office for a stern word in private, or given a bollocking in front of all your work mates, and then have it posted on the office noticeboard?

[quote user="Barclay_Boy"]Although I am still on GR''s side in general, he is out of order here. You will not find it in any "how to manager people" techniques to humiliate them in public. There''s no mileage in it. If someone needs a dressing down what possible advantage is there to do it in public rather than in private? Put it this way, you have had an off day, perhaps you didn''t complete that bit of work for your Boss on time. Which you would prefer, being called into the office for a stern word in private, or given a bollocking in front of all your work mates, and then have it posted on the office noticeboard?[/quote]

That''s how I see it too, but others don''t see it the same way.

Would be a funny old world if we all had the same views. [:)]