Sign in to follow this  
mickey phelans tash

The 4 Champions of England!

I see we have our full compliment of English teams in the Champions?League again.

Does anyone give a damn any more- are we still supposed to get behind these teams representing our Country in Europe. Has there always been a desire for certain teams to fail in europe and others to succeed even if its not the team they support. I really don''t care how Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea fare but when it comes to liverpool, i just want them to fail so much.

Frankly I think it''s utterly boring how we see the usual suspects in the latter rounds, much the same way as the Premiership is.

well said, I usually follow the Premiership however the only teams I want to show any interest in following are Hull... and well, that''s it, I think they may pull off a shock this year and have a reasonable season. Other than that it will be the usual predictable league.

Hear hear, I thought if Liege got through tonight it was the one chance of a bit of excitement in European football but I guess we''ll be back to the same old this season. The big four easily getting to the quarters where they eventually get knocked out by each other.

Also would have meant Liverpool fans would have had no excuses for not winning the title. Oh well!

Was gutted for Standard tonight. Stuffy bloomin'' gay koppite ****''s prevail again. Why can''t we get lucky like they ALWAYS, yes, i shouted, do! In fact, why can''t anyone else but them (and Ipswich) get the rub of the green. I was genuinely excited that Standard might pull that one off tonight, they were by far the better team over 2 legs and just unlucky they were playing them flukey s.o.b''s. Only difference is it wasn''t Steven ''I''ll play amazing for Liverpool, but don''t give two rats about England'' Gerrard, (yes before you moan, there''s worse candidates than him, but he''s one of them)!Now let''s cheer on the Gunners, they know how to play, and with liverpools luck, would be streets ahead of them. Supposedly you make your own luck though, and in some ways i suppose that''s true. Arsenal know how to play football stylishly, but liverpool just have a knack of getting the job done, and maybe it ain''t fluke as it seems it is all the time.

liverpool''s lucky start to the season will dwindle away soon, expect a mid-table Prem finish and out of the Champs League before the Semi''s that they used to reach often.

Big mistake getting rid of crouch, they look so lackluster up front with Torres and Keane.

Cmon the Arsenal for Champs League victory now :)

you really think liverpool won''t get top 4! of couse they will, they''ll fluke enough games to save benitez''s bacon and get 4th, win a national cup, and probably win the champs league too! If only the likes of Spurs, Villa, Man City, Newcatle or Everton stopped messing around and got going.

I agree Jimmy, Liverpool will finish in the top 4 - I reckon 4th they''re the worst of them - it''s only the Champions League that keeps them in it.

Tell you what though, they must be the luckiest team on the planet - how many times have they got last minute goals!?  Least it weren''t Gerrard last night scoring!

I only watch Chumpions League now when i see an ''English?'' side about to get knocked out...then i either have a good moan when they fluke through or a good laugh when the get knocked out.

Notice how even the commentators are more interested in the financial aspect of winning the game rather than the hope you may actually win the competition itself?

BORING BORING BORING!

I think that the "big four" should leave the Premier League so they could play with all their other european cash rich friends in a new league. They would have "big matches" every week and not have to bother with the inconvenience of playing those small clubs, ie those not in the top four.

I wouldn''t miss them at all and we would be back to a competetive Premier League again.

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

I think that the "big four" should leave the Premier League so they could play with all their other european cash rich friends in a new league. They would have "big matches" every week and not have to bother with the inconvenience of playing those small clubs, ie those not in the top four.

I wouldn''t miss them at all and we would be back to a competetive Premier League again.

[/quote]I agree the sooner they fuck off to a Europeon Super League the better

I can''t wait for a European League to get started, then the top 4 can go and will not be missed by me. They can take the Sky money with them, but if that happens panic will happen in the Prem, but at least everyone will be on a simular playing field, better for the game. Footbal, how it used to be, Great.

I must be in the minority but when its liverpool playing i really want them to win, i can''t stand the others with there lack of english players, look at Arsenal, how many do they have 3 at most.

So when it comes down to it i liek to see liverpool winning it.

Exactly how many english players were in Liverpool''s side last night, then? Was it two? [;)]

I was seriously hoping the Standrad boss was going to stick one on fat Benitez when they were argung over the unsporting behaviour of Liverpool for not giving the ball back after it had been put out of play to allow a player to get treatment!

That would have wiped the smirk of his hairy face! [:)]

Sounds like you have the same high opinion of Liverpool that I do Jimmy!!! [;)]

Personally I am not bothered about the Champions League anymore, I like to see Arsenal do well as my uncle is a massive fan of theirs but in all honesty I really couldn''t care less who wins it (as long as it is not Liverpool). [Y]

The problem* with The Champions League is that although it is clearly at the pinnacle of world football in terms of quality it just seems a bit sterile and lacking in excitement for the neutral. The qualifying rounds and group stages are a waste of time because their so heavily weighted in favour of the big clubs and you can pretty much pick the last sixteen before a ball has been kicked. Compare it to the old days of The European Cup with it''s straight knockout format and teams who more closely resembled the style of the countries they came from and it''s nowhere near as exciting.There''s so much money at stake these days that teams play progressively more defensively with every season as they''re so scared to make mistakes. Take the Barcelona vs Man Utd semi final last year. Two of the best footballing sides in world football managed one goal and not an awful lot of excitement between them in 180 minutes of football. Next time you hear Sir Alex tell anybody that United fans expect their team to play swashbucling football just think back to their performance at the Camp Nou when they stuck ten men behind the ball for the majority of the game. Compare that to the matches we saw at Euro 2008 and you soon realise that whilst The Champions League is the highest level of football it is international football that provides the most excitement.* Clearly whilst the rewards for just making it to the group stages are £12million+ whereby the top teams are seeded in such a way that it''s almost impossible not to qualify not too many of them will recognise this as a ''problem''.

its a mickey mouse competition.. how the hell anyone who finishes 4th can enter a "champions" competition is nothing short of a joke.

Premiership winners, FA cup winners, League cup winners.. Winners = champions and should all enter.. 2nd place in the premiership is a uefa cup spot....

jas :)

I''ll be supporting Anorthosis Famagusta. I don''t give two monkeys how liverpool, man u and chelsea do (hopefully they''ll lose).

Completely agree about the "big" 4 f*cking off - and taking their money with them. Would then even out the playing field for the rest of us. Might even regenerate interest in the FA Cup.

I''m glad all of the big four are in the Champions League again this year - just goes to prove to the rest of Europe that the Premier League is the best

last season, English teams were only knocked out by other English teams (Arsenal by Liverpool, Liverpool by Chelsea, Chelsea by Man U) - it''s pretty impressive

[quote user="San Miguel"]

I''m glad all of the big four are in the Champions League again this year - just goes to prove to the rest of Europe that the Premier League is the best

[/quote]

not it isnt.. its full of overpayed foreign whingers who cant get in their own sides back home and its killing the National game....

if the premier league was that "great" then wouldnt english players be Brilliant? We need to start sending our young players out to foreign soil.. Italy, Spain, Germany, holland, France... all big footballing countries... let them learn a different culture, a different way of life, a foreign language and a different way of playing.

Watch abroad how they know when to run, how they pass their way out of defence, seldom offside, all of them are "footballers" over athletes.

in this country as soon as it comes to the spotty 20 year old centerback he whacks it as hard and as far as he can.... because thats what he is told to do... Johnny Foreigner, who isnt taught to clear the ball then brings it up the other end of the pitch and scores.

The premier league has killed English football and it needs to start sending the kids elsewhere.... 2 and 3 year loans.. they then come back as good as the foreign talent, this makes the league more compeititve and the top 4 can have a strop all they want!

i can never get myself very excited, except in the two liverpool finals. because the sight of silvio berlusconi with his hands on the european cup is too much to bear.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="San Miguel"]

[/quote]

not it isnt.. its full of overpayed foreign whingers who cant get in their own sides back home and its killing the National game....

if the premier league was that "great" then wouldnt english players be Brilliant? We need to start sending our young players out to foreign soil.. Italy, Spain, Germany, holland, France... all big footballing countries... let them learn a different culture, a different way of life, a foreign language and a different way of playing.

Watch abroad how they know when to run, how they pass their way out of defence, seldom offside, all of them are "footballers" over athletes.

in this country as soon as it comes to the spotty 20 year old centerback he whacks it as hard and as far as he can.... because thats what he is told to do... Johnny Foreigner, who isnt taught to clear the ball then brings it up the other end of the pitch and scores.

The premier league has killed English football and it needs to start sending the kids elsewhere.... 2 and 3 year loans.. they then come back as good as the foreign talent, this makes the league more compeititve and the top 4 can have a strop all they want!

[/quote]Spot on Jas. The Premier League is very overrated. And let''s face it, pretty tedious.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]

Spot on Jas. The Premier League is very overrated. And let''s face it, pretty tedious.
[/quote]

Graham, I''m usually inclined to agree with you but I have to say I disagree with you on this one.

I think the Premier League has an excellent quality and variety of football on show.

Fair enough it''s always the big 4 at the top but look at the other leagues... Real Madrid have retained the title for the last 2 seasons, Lyon have won Ligue 1 for the last 25 years, Inter Milan have been holding firm at the top of Serie A and Bayern the same in Germany.

[quote user="GJP"]

Spot on Jas. The Premier League is very overrated. And let''s face it, pretty tedious.[/quote]

Graham, I''m usually inclined to agree with you but I have to say I disagree with you on this one.

I think the Premier League has an excellent quality and variety of football on show.

Fair enough it''s always the big 4 at the top but look at the other leagues... Real Madrid have retained the title for the last 2 seasons, Lyon have won Ligue 1 for the last 25 years, Inter Milan have been holding firm at the top of Serie A and Bayern the same in Germany.

[/quote]The Premier League is exciting at the end, to see who survives, surely is should''nt be that way - the rest of the year is utterly predictable.

[quote user="AndyJR"][quote user="GJP"]

Spot on Jas. The Premier League is very overrated. And let''s face it, pretty tedious.
[/quote]

[/quote]

The Premier League is exciting at the end, to see who survives, surely is should''nt be that way - the rest of the year is utterly predictable.
[/quote]

You do get a few upsets along the way though. Although to be honest I don''t tend to care what the league table looks like, I just enjoy watching the football.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="AndyJR"][quote user="GJP"]

Spot on Jas. The Premier League is very overrated. And let''s face it, pretty tedious.[/quote]

[/quote]The Premier League is exciting at the end, to see who survives, surely is should''nt be that way - the rest of the year is utterly predictable.[/quote]

You do get a few upsets along the way though. Although to be honest I don''t tend to care what the league table looks like, I just enjoy watching the football.

[/quote]Taking away the debate of whether it''s predictable or not and how much sky has ruined the game, I agree GJP, the highlights are worth watching just for the football.

Strange thing is, although the Championship is ten times more exciting than the premiership, and we all think the premiership is boring due to the same top 4 year after year, and we all hate these foreign players who earn big money, we''d all love Norwich to be there wouldn''t we :), we''d all love Norwich to have these foreign superstars earning big money here. Strange old world

[quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]Fair enough - I think there are some good players (very few English ones though) and your point about the other leagues is a valid one and this is why I really despise the Champions League as it''s such an uneven playing field now. Realistically only two teams can win the league and the other two CL spots are usually pretty quickly taken too (though there has been some competition for fourth in recent years). In fairness I thought last season was the best for some time - I thought last year''s title race was interesting though as was the relegation battle but you can usually guess who''s going to be involved in each before the season starts. It would be nice to see a smaller team in the title race, or one of the bigger clubs get sucked into a relegation dogfight but I don''t suppose that''ll ever happen again.I still watch it though...