Sign in to follow this  
Mr Gradgrind

Roeder is the best manager we've had in years

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Mr Gradgrind"]

Roeder is the best manager we have had in years

His teams are fit, players brought in can pass better than many we have had, he seems to have a transfer strategy and has brought better players in than have gone out (except Hucks), he''s not swayed by fickle supporter opinion, brave enough to have a clear out of centuries old players and back room staff.  Just waiting for the target man and we''ll be laughing all the way to the play offs.

[/quote]

I could weep.......in fact.........I think I will![:''(]

[/quote]

Funny you should pop up at this time Wiz.[;)][;)]

Hows Joey?[;)]

[quote user="Loan City Fc "]No he''s not , what makes him good ? his abilty to lose games as much as Grant did , his moaning at players in the press , his inability to sign anybody other than kids on loan .He is no better than Grant and worse than Worthington .[/quote]Do you not think we have generally played alot better?Second of all, do i need to list all the signings that WERE NOT ''kids on loan''?

[quote user="Mr Gradgrind"]

His teams are fit, players brought in can pass better than many we have had, he seems to have a transfer strategy and has brought better players in than have gone out (except Hucks), he''s not swayed by fickle supporter opinion, brave enough to have a clear out of centuries old players and back room staff.  Just waiting for the target man and we''ll be laughing all the way to the play offs.

[/quote]

A completely unsubstantiated statement if ever I saw one. The only facts available so far in Mr Roeder''s career show that he has achieved .......................... absolutely nothing. Let''s hope that he can achieve success with us at Norwich but my opinion is that he will not. There are already signs of disenchantment setting in. He clearly wanted Taylor but was thwarted by the Board''s reticence to match the asking price and I believe that the same has happened with a striker. If no more players arrive at the club before the transfer window closes in a few days time then I think we will struggle badly, pressures and tensions will increase and I can envisage a fall-out between Roeder and the Board.  It wouldn''t suprise me at all if Roeder has gone by Christmas.

[quote user="Rocky Rocastle"]

Thanks for the original post Mrs Roeder, yes your son is doing an ok job!

Seriously, I agree GR is doing a great job within the constraints of a club that is sorely missing parachute payments! From what I''ve seen so far I am prepared to give him this entire season to mould the squad, get us on the fringes of the playoffs and then next year I fully expect a premiership charge!

All this positive forward thinking stuff aside, I do however think Martin O''Neil was the best mgr we''ve had in years!

OTBC

[/quote] That''s spot on! O'' Neil was the best we''ve had here. I think GR can do a good job too, provided he''s backed by those /!!$!* directors upstairs!

[quote user="ROBFLECK"][quote user="Rocky Rocastle"]

Thanks for the original post Mrs Roeder, yes your son is doing an ok job!

Seriously, I agree GR is doing a great job within the constraints of a club that is sorely missing parachute payments! From what I''ve seen so far I am prepared to give him this entire season to mould the squad, get us on the fringes of the playoffs and then next year I fully expect a premiership charge!

All this positive forward thinking stuff aside, I do however think Martin O''Neil was the best mgr we''ve had in years!

OTBC

[/quote] That''s spot on! O'' Neil was the best we''ve had here. I think GR can do a good job too, provided he''s backed by those /!!$!* directors upstairs![/quote]

Why was O''Neil the best we had here ? Or do you mean that he is the best manager elsewhere to have also been manager at Carrow Road. I have read articles in the Times and other reputable papers about O''Neil''s career and they have omitted any mention of his incredibly brief tenure at Carrow Road. I know he was frustrated by Chase but I have never rexpected him for the way he departed to Leicester. Anyway, either way, I think that Dave Stringer takes alot of beating, Mike Walker, John Bond, Ken Brown, Ron Saunders....... blimey, we have had some excellent managers in the past and some fantastic target men/strikers too for that matter ................. Ron Davies, David Cross, Ted McDougall, Chris Sutton etc etc

When I mentioned about just needing a tall target man and we''re in the playoffs.  I really meant I think he does have a plan, knows what hes doing and knows that that is the main part of the jigsaw he is missing.  He knows it, we know it.  Getting someone is difficult of course.  Someone mentioned Phillips.  Phillips was never going to uproot in his final years to a completely new part of the country.

I agree about Walker, Stringer, Brown, Bond but that just seems too long ago.

Mr Gradgrind, in reply to your original premise, that Roeder is the best manager we''ve had for years; I think you have completely erased from your memory the two or three exciting and successful seasons we had under Worthy. Who could forget that tremendous season in 2003/4, when Worthy inspired his team to many excellent victories home and away to take us to the Premiership? Roeder has a long way to go before he can be accurately described as "The best manager we''ve had in years." He also has some way to go to match Nigel Worthington''s achievements.

[quote user="Lord Snooty"][quote user="Mr Gradgrind"]

[/quote]

A completely unsubstantiated statement if ever I saw one. The only facts available so far in Mr Roeder''s career show that he has achieved .......................... absolutely nothing.

[/quote]Hmmm how has Roeder achieved nothing?? He single handily saved us from inevitable relegation last season or have you forgotten already???Get a grip!

Roeder has to be the most experienced manager we have had in years - but it is too soon to say he''s the best. We don''t even know that he''s better than Worthy yet - but he may well prove to be. It is too soon to judge either way and he needs more time (as well as a big man up front!). But there is more to management than contacts and player selection. Player motivation over a season is the key area he has yet to demonstrate. Arguably most managers lose the dressing room eventually but they at least need to win and keep it for as long as possible. (Not sure that Grant ever had it). GR is probably also the best manager we could have got at the time.

Any manager who thinks Jamie Cureton has the makings of a decent left-winger should be viewed with a little cynicism, i reckon. Not to mention his incredibly blinkered view of Fotheringham, and his many other tactical mistakes. And the failure to get a striker in. And so on.

But that said, i didn''t give him a hope in hell of keeping us up last season and he did the job, so credit where credit''s due. Unfortunately i''m not too confident about him being the right man to progress us from this point, but hopefully he''ll prove me wrong a second time.

I would say that Roeder is the best manager we''ve had since Worthington, which is technically years, but it''s not saying a lot

[quote user="Rocky Rocastle"][quote user="Lord Snooty"][quote user="Mr Gradgrind"]

[/quote]

A completely unsubstantiated statement if ever I saw one. The only facts available so far in Mr Roeder''s career show that he has achieved .......................... absolutely nothing.

[/quote]

Hmmm how has Roeder achieved nothing?? He single handily saved us from inevitable relegation last season or have you forgotten already???

Get a grip!
[/quote]

Yeah, I know, and I am grateful too but when you look at his career and the highlight of his CV is avoiding relegation with Norwich (having been in charge for 6 months and having avoided the drop by the skin of his teeth in the penultimate game of the season) you can''t call that impressive in any way at all, can you ? If he had avoided the drop and taken us into the play off places or thereabouts then, yes, that would be a fair achievement. Like alot of people have said, I remain to be convinced by Roeder but, like all Norwich fans, I want him to succeed. Trouble is not only do I think he is that good a manager (as his record shows) but also he obviously has no money to spend. Recipe for mediocrity at best IMO.

[quote user="Mr Gradgrind"]

[/quote]

spot on!

[quote user="Have Heart"][quote user="Mr Gradgrind"]

[/quote]

spot on!

[/quote]

God, give me strength.

You probably would have been more accurate to state;

the Grim Roeder is the best manager we''ve got at the moment.

No comparison to Martin O''Neil, who sadly moved on. The Grim Roeder will move on or be moved on too, once his customary 2nd season failings become more apparent as the season unfolds. Geeked [8-|]

I would also have to agree that Roeder is the best manager we have had since O''neill. I also think that he can easily get a better job where the board will actually back him with plenty of money and if things dont improve soon i think he will quit. And at the end of the day you look at the job he has done he still done a brilliant job to keep us when at one point we were 9 points off safety

[quote user="ndhscanary"]I would also have to agree that Roeder is the best manager we have had since O''neill. I also think that he can easily get a better job where the board will actually back him with plenty of money and if things dont improve soon i think he will quit. And at the end of the day you look at the job he has done he still done a brilliant job to keep us when at one point we were 9 points off safety[/quote]The guy started in October, he didn''t perform any miracles, any manager given 7 or 8 months of the remaining season should have saved us from relegation.In the end, if we hadn''t have scraped that last home win, we would have been relegated, it was that close!Out of interest how many games has Roeder won in the last 25 games [league and cup]? I haven''t looked it up but it can''t be many

[quote user="ndhscanary"]I would also have to agree that Roeder is the best manager we have had since O''neill. I also think that he can easily get a better job where the board will actually back him with plenty of money and if things dont improve soon i think he will quit. And at the end of the day you look at the job he has done he still done a brilliant job to keep us when at one point we were 9 points off safety[/quote]The fact he had been unemployed for some time and was desperate enough to apply for the Norwich job on the first day it became vacant somewhat suggests he could not get another job that easily . Never won anything not even a promotion and has failed at every club he has managed ,in fact keeping us up last season is one of his big achievements and he very nearly cocked that up too , just like he will cock up the signing of a striker before Monday after having all summer to get one in .

[quote user="Loan City Fc "]in fact keeping us up last season is one of his big achievements and he very nearly cocked that up too[/quote]And the collective message board IQ just plummeted sharply.

Strange how so many have already forgotten the huge contribution made by Dion Dublin and the fact that Huckerby was there in the wings when needed.

I can''t see another Dublin coming along to save our bacon this time around.

There''s no doubt that Roeder is the best manager we''ve had since O''Neill. Who are the other candidates after all? Rioch may have made it given some money to play with. Worthy did great things for a few years, but didn''t see that the fundamental problem with the Club was the slack attitude of its players - that did for him in the end. I''m sure O''Neill would have sorted that out, and Roeder''s determined to do it, having been a victim of it at West Ham and Newcastle. Our players let everybody down towards the end of last season: Roeder warned them to shape up if they wanted a future here. Some of them didn''t, or left it too late to do so, so they''ve gone, as he promised. It''s obvious Roeder thinks of himself as a Premier League manager, and I think he could do it too. His press soundbites criticising players are a bit dodgy sometimes, but he''s had the guts and self-belief to play a very high-risk game in sacking nearly half the squad, and good luck to him because it needed doing. He''s put together a much better squad, in terms of balance and skill, than we''ve had for a while, and without spending a lot. Hopefully the morons who boo the team team when we fail to win (particularly the idiot who sits behind me in the Barclay) will find another interest so the supporters can enjoy the good times which are definitely on the way. That would be a result.I still think he was wrong to sell Lewis and to play Fozzy though....

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Loan City Fc "]in fact keeping us up last season is one of his big achievements and he very nearly cocked that up too[/quote]And the collective message board IQ just plummeted sharply.[/quote]Oh its Mr i know the lot im a smartarse , im sure you have a very high IQ , just when it comes to football your a brain dead tosser .

Well said , its people like this Mr Chops why we need the Board moderated again , hes just so thick that if people dont agree with him he insults , probably thick as shit himself .

[quote user="Loan City Fc "][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Loan City Fc "]in fact keeping us up last season is one of his big achievements and he very nearly cocked that up too[/quote]And the collective message board IQ just plummeted sharply.[/quote]Oh its Mr i know the lot im a smartarse , im sure you have a very high IQ , just when it comes to football your a brain dead tosser .[/quote]It''s not that high.I don''t see how you can say the manager who kept us in the Championship last year, having inherited a rubbish squad with zero morale and 8 points in November, is rubbish.  You also seem to imply that what he did last season wasn''t a big achievement, when keeping us up was a real achievement given the state we were in and the rubbish we had playing for us.In that context, it looks like it isn''t me who''s brain dead.  You sound like one of the People''s Front of Judea - "yeah, I know Roeder kept us up against all odds, but what did he ever do for us?"

[quote user="John Boubepo"][quote user="ndhscanary"]I would also have to agree that Roeder is the best manager we have had since O''neill. I also think that he can easily get a better job where the board will actually back him with plenty of money and if things dont improve soon i think he will quit. And at the end of the day you look at the job he has done he still done a brilliant job to keep us when at one point we were 9 points off safety[/quote]The guy started in October, he didn''t perform any miracles, any manager given 7 or 8 months of the remaining season should have saved us from relegation.In the end, if we hadn''t have scraped that last home win, we would have been relegated, it was that close!Out of interest how many games has Roeder won in the last 25 games [league and cup]? I haven''t looked it up but it can''t be many[/quote]Not getting involved in this particular arguement, but thought it would be worth pointing out that we were between 2/1 and 6/1 to avoid relegation when Roeder took over. Anyone with a basic knowledge of odds should be able to work out what the bookies thought of our chances!