Sign in to follow this  
Mr Gradgrind

Roeder is the best manager we've had in years

Roeder is the best manager we have had in years

His teams are fit, players brought in can pass better than many we have had, he seems to have a transfer strategy and has brought better players in than have gone out (except Hucks), he''s not swayed by fickle supporter opinion, brave enough to have a clear out of centuries old players and back room staff.  Just waiting for the target man and we''ll be laughing all the way to the play offs.

[quote user="Mr Gradgrind"]

His teams are fit, players brought in can pass better than many we have had, he seems to have a transfer strategy and has brought better players in than have gone out (except Hucks), he''s not swayed by fickle supporter opinion, brave enough to have a clear out of centuries old players and back room staff.  Just waiting for the target man and we''ll be laughing all the way to the play offs.

[/quote]

Good for you, and I admire you optimism.

GR is yet to prove himself in a full season, I will back him all the way, but I have found myself starting to critisise some of his tactics both on and off the pitch lately. 

I applauded his clear out of back room staff and players, something that needed doing for a very long time at CR.  Better players in than have gone out, hmmmmm too soon to tell really, better than Dion & Huck''s, I really don''t think so.

Ok so you say all we are waiting on is a target man and we will laugh all the way to the PO''s, blimey I think that''s a little overly optimistic don''t you?  What if the target man doesn''t arrive and we have to go with what we have?  Doesn''t look quite as bright as you paint it IMHO.

Currently he''s the best manager we''ve had since Nigel Worthington and at the moment he''s got a long way to go before he is on a par with Worthy.

No he''s not , what makes him good ? his abilty to lose games as much as Grant did , his moaning at players in the press , his inability to sign anybody other than kids on loan .He is no better than Grant and worse than Worthington .

[quote user="Match Day Pie"]Agreed. Get behind him or get out.[/quote]

I am fully behind Roeder as well, but this is a messageboard, you don''t own it or run it, so you don''t actually have the right to tell anyone to get out.

Strange looking at his past jobs,

Gillingham did nothing. Watford - sacked, Burnley - not liked by club left 1 season, W Ham - sacked, Newcastle - resigned ?? What has he done so far, no player he has signed from the past from ameobe, phillips etc want to come to us, players in squad do not seem to get on with him, have we improved this year, still conceding goals no change, still making mistakes that cost, cardiff first goal just walk past dejan then kennady but they are excellent ? still not played decent team yet, no goals problem from last year but who have we got ?midfield worse than last year ? So have we improved and is roeder the man ??? still not sure.

I agree that Roeder is the best manager we''ve had in a good while. He''s a proper manager, with premiership experience and a reasonably good record. He rescued Newcastle, no matter what people say, and that club is constantly struggling for one with a fair bit of cash. I have criticized his tactics in the past and still believe he should play with two wingers. But with Bell coming along nicely, I think we''ll see the tactics change. Bell can get up and down the pitch more effectively than Croft and defend. Having said that, Crofty has been unlucky and deserves a start on Saturday. Maybe GR was right about Pattison too?? But, one game does not make a season!He has brought in quality and I can''t understand the people on this board who are complaining. Citing Dion and Hucks......get over it. The answer is simple. Dion retired. You''re not gonna convince a 38 year old guy, who has had a wonderful career in football, to keep going through huge amounts of agonising preperation in order to play week in week out. He made his mind up. Simple. Hucks too is an easy one. He was on FAR too much money, obviously, and Roeder et al figured they could get probably three fairly decent Championship players at the same amount in wages. Remember everyone moaning at Hucks at the beginning of last season??? Let''s be fair, he didn''t play that well at all. I know he was hampered by a hip injury but he''s probably well happy in the States, raking some cash in and enjoying the sun. He''ll always have Norwich at heart and we just have to be thankful for the contribution he made while he was here. And he kept his promise. What a dude.C''MON CITYYYYYY!!!

Thanks for the original post Mrs Roeder, yes your son is doing an ok job!

Seriously, I agree GR is doing a great job within the constraints of a club that is sorely missing parachute payments! From what I''ve seen so far I am prepared to give him this entire season to mould the squad, get us on the fringes of the playoffs and then next year I fully expect a premiership charge!

All this positive forward thinking stuff aside, I do however think Martin O''Neil was the best mgr we''ve had in years!

OTBC

[quote user="ncfc_chris"]agree with much of that but to say 1 player will suddenly transform us into play off certainties is a bit much[/quote]I dont know mate, if we can get a target man in that can actually score, we will be contenders without doubt.This team should be really clicking in the next few weeks, and as i said, if we get someone in that can score 20 + goals a season, we will be laughing.

Roeder''s stats -

TeamFromToGamesWonLostDrawn
Norwich 30-10-2007 Present  39131511
Newcastle 02-02-2006 06-05-2007 73332416
West Ham 01-07-2003 24-08-2003 4211
West Ham 09-05-2001 24-04-2003 82253522
Watford 01-08-1993 20-02-1996 139445540
Gillingham 01-08-1992 09-07-1993 51132216

Roeder''s win %''s -

Norwich - 33.33%

Newcastle - 45.21%

West Ham - 50%

West Ham - 30.49%

Watford - 31.65%

Gillingham - 25.49%

Overall - 33.51%

Worthington''s stats -

TeamFromToGamesWonLostDrawn
Leicester 11-04-2007 25-05-2007 5230
Norwich 04-12-2000 02-10-2006 28011410462
Blackpool 08-07-1997 23-12-1999 134445634

Worthington''s win %''s -

Leicester - 40%

Norwich - 40.71%

Blackpool - 32.84%

Overall - 38.19%

Interesting to note Roeder''s win % for us is just over 30%, normally when a manager''s win % gets down to 30% or just under, their job becomes at risk.

IMHO for Norwich Worthington was the better manager.

[quote user="mike"]

Strange looking at his past jobs,

Gillingham did nothing. Watford - sacked, Burnley - not liked by club left 1 season, W Ham - sacked, Newcastle - resigned ?? What has he done so far, no player he has signed from the past from ameobe, phillips etc want to come to us, players in squad do not seem to get on with him, have we improved this year, still conceding goals no change, still making mistakes that cost, cardiff first goal just walk past dejan then kennady but they are excellent ? still not played decent team yet, no goals problem from last year but who have we got ?midfield worse than last year ? So have we improved and is roeder the man ??? still not sure.

[/quote]Your a joker arnt you ? i mean you cant be for real with that statment can you ?You could say that every manager bar maybe 4 from any league has done anything worth note.Them beingSir AlexJose MourinhoArsene wengerHarry RedknappAre you saying everyone else is a waste of time.Get real please.

"yep roeder is better than worthy, at least G.R has premierleague experience before signing for us"

So I guess if you apply that logic, Brian Hamilton had experience at

international level, as manager of Northern Ireland, so he must be

better than both Roeder and Worthy?

[quote user="John Boubepo"]"yep roeder is better than worthy, at least G.R has premierleague experience before signing for us"

better than both Roeder and Worthy?[/quote]And this would also make Mike Walker the worst manager....

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="John Boubepo"]"yep roeder is better than worthy, at least G.R has premierleague experience before signing for us"

better than both Roeder and Worthy?[/quote]And this would also make Mike Walker the worst manager....[/quote]Until his second spell, as when he returned he had even more Premiership experience...

If Bruce Rioch had been given sufficient support from our board (ex Arsenal manager and brought Dennis B the Dutchman to Highbury) and I think with Bellamy not getting crocked......Rioch, may have done better things for the club. But, Delia got her man, the Blarneymeister Hamilton......and she was so, so, upset - when he lost the dressing room and threw in the towel.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]If Bruce Rioch had been given sufficient support from our board (ex Arsenal manager and brought Dennis B the Dutchman to Highbury) and I think with Bellamy not getting crocked......Rioch, may have done better things for the club. But, Delia got her man, the Blarneymeister Hamilton......and she was so, so, upset - when he lost the dressing room and threw in the towel.[/quote]

It is my understanding that the Blarneymeister lost the dressing room before he was even given the job. Hamilton and Grant are most definately 2 huge mistakes. I agree with your comments about Rioch and also feel he was unlucky, I liked him and I liked Worthy. The jury is out on Roeder and he may yet prove to be the best but as things stand I believe Worthy is far and away the best manager we have had under this board.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Mello Yello"]If Bruce Rioch had been given sufficient support from our board (ex Arsenal manager and brought Dennis B the Dutchman to Highbury) and I think with Bellamy not getting crocked......Rioch, may have done better things for the club. But, Delia got her man, the Blarneymeister Hamilton......and she was so, so, upset - when he lost the dressing room and threw in the towel.[/quote]

It is my understanding that the Blarneymeister lost the dressing room before he was even given the job. Hamilton and Grant are most definately 2 huge mistakes. I agree with your comments about Rioch and also feel he was unlucky, I liked him and I liked Worthy. The jury is out on Roeder and he may yet prove to be the best but as things stand I believe Worthy is far and away the best manager we have had under this board.

[/quote]

Nope sorry I cant agree with you there Nutty ....arrdee.

i will wait to pass judgement on roeder ,worthington won the championship in style with us and got us up almost via a playoff he got the best from our players ,

[/quote]

You''re probably right, but i sill don''t like him. Actually, I think he''s a bit of a d**k

(not duck)

our home record under worthington was very impresive, like any manager given funds buy you the best,i highly rated paul mcveigh he broght the best out in our players not always the best but fighters,bringing in quality players like ..mr huckerby and oh and a very big man who got us up he managed to get a big man who went on to play for england i rest my case...

[/quote]

I could weep.......in fact.........I think I will![:''(]