Sign in to follow this  
AndyJR

Rasiak - Would have liked to see him come here......

WATFORD manager Aidy Boothroyd has swooped to sign Southampton striker Grzegorz Rasiak today (Friday) on a season long loan.

The Poland international makes the move from St Mary''s to Vicarage Road in time to be involved in tomorrow''s opening home league game for Watford, against Charlton Athletic.

He will train with the Hornets today and will add some much needed competition to the group of centre-forwards from which Boothroyd selects, as he is awarded the number 10 shirt.

Rasiak, aged 29, has signed a year-long loan agreement that includes an option for the Hornets to purchase the forward if his spell at the Vic is deemed a success.

And history says that Watford will have no reason to believe it won''t be, given Rasiak''s scoring record at this level.

Grzegorz Rasiak

Rasiak in action in the Premiership with Bolton last season

Moving from Groclin Dyskobolia to Derby County in 2004, Rasiak became an instant hero at Pride Park, scoring 17 goals as the Rams made it to the play-offs in May 2005 - playing alongside current Watford favourite Tommy Smith.

The 6''3" centre forward was then propelled into the Premier League courtesy of a £2m move to north London side Tottenham.

After a brief stint at White Hart Lane Rasiak moved to the south coast and Southampton where he has since scored 33 goals in a total of 83 appearances.

Rasiak ended last season on loan at Bolton Wanderers, but will be happy to have found a more permanent home for this season at Vicarage Road.

Shame I like this bloke.

He would have been a good signing! He''s not the best in the world by any means but a target man who has a reasonable record was surely worth a punt?!

[quote user="Matt"]He would have been a good signing! He''s not the best in the world by any means but a target man who has a reasonable record was surely worth a punt?![/quote]6''3, hard working, scores goals, holds the ball up, would have had a field day at this level I thought.  Shame.

But Rasiak has played many years in the Championship and has never

really set it completely alight, though I agree he would have been a

good option...

Just a thought, however... would people have been happy if we''d signed him on loan like Watford have...??

Watford probably dont have half a squad of loanees already so getting one in is fair enough , we have more than enough loans already and another one is the last thing we need.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]But Rasiak has played many years in the Championship and has never really set it completely alight, though I agree he would have been a good option...

Just a thought, however... would people have been happy if we''d signed him on loan like Watford have...??

[/quote]yes..would have been happy with a loan with a view to a perminant move...this way he has to prove himself every game...and he is better than what we have now...nothing!!!

Make no mistake, this is a terrific signing for Watford, he has an exceptional scoring record, especially away from home (what we would give for that in the last for years....)

It''s all whittling down and pointing to someone like Steve Bloody Howard. What''s the betting we make a last minute panic buy on August 31st?

Good signing, although I don''t know if we could fit him in on loan? How many can you have in total? Shame we couldn''t get him, he would clearly have solved our problems, but another "target" gone, so we need to move on. Looks like it wont be Ameobi either, and I don''t think Bishop could make the step up...

So....

What is left?!

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]But Rasiak has played many years in the Championship and has never really set it completely alight, though I agree he would have been a good option...

[/quote]

YES! Considering names like Howard and Andy Bishop being thrown around, I''d take him over them in a second.

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]

Make no mistake, this is a terrific signing for Watford, he has an exceptional scoring record, especially away from home (what we would give for that in the last for years....)

It''s all whittling down and pointing to someone like Steve Bloody Howard. What''s the betting we make a last minute panic buy on August 31st?

[/quote]dont you mean we will make a PANIC LOAN.aug 31st...lol....BUY????...we have no money...lol

still looking forward to watching tomorrows game :-)

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]

[/quote]roedy''s ruled howard out, (or been priced out by mandric) - yep, with nowt on the horizon - city will swoop on AUG 31st to sign up a promising arsenal youngster...oh yeah - wenger will help roedy out this time, make no mistake?>?

Wouldn''t be my first but wouldn''t exactly have been disappointed if he had come here. Although he has struggled the last couple of years and I think he''s been labelled as being a bit lazy.