Sign in to follow this  
ZiggyPiggy

Enjoy the game "Initiative"

Wouldn''t it be a better idea to get the fans to sing? Football is quiet and dull now, kids need excitement, bring back singing, slap the silent majority.

Football is not played in a theatre! Stand up and sing!

However:

1. You can''t call Pattison a C**t but feel free to use it to describe the opposition.

2. It says nothing in the players contracts about scoring goals so their agents would intervene.

I can only go on personal experience, so here goes. I started going to Carrow Road along with my dad in the early 70s. No such thing as family areas then, it was get there early, stand on the River End terrace and get taken to the front (if you got there in time) or stand on an old Corona (showing my age) crate and when old enough, leaning on the railings. There was plenty of colourful language. I wasn''t allowed to use any of it at home, so saw going to football as a treat, there were goals, singing (yes even in the River End) and the start of a life long love affair/addiction. I loved going to football more than anything else in my childhood.

When my kids were young I sat in each stand in turn, but they both preferred the areas behind the goals. In the Barclay this included the likelihood of them hearing swearing. In reality once kids go to school, they hear every word under the sun. They remain undamaged by the experience. When family areas were brought in I took the kids to the South Stand area (which at the time included very cheap travel concessions to away games). There were competitions and a waiting list to be the match mascot, something both my kids were lucky enough to experience. The lady who ran this, Roz Watson was fantastic at her job and I am eternally grateful to the club for encouraging local kids to support their team. This was all under the previous regime, so I can''t speak for what happens now. On only one occasion did they experience anything really negative and worrying, and that was city fans fighting each other at Everton when we lost in the cup - a long time ago folks!

Anything that encourages local children to support their team is good in my book. The kids of today become tomorrow''s paying season ticket holders. My son is now 22 and has been a season ticket holder since he was 5. He wouldn''t dream of supporting Man U or Chelsea. IMO this is one area the club (both pre Delia and now) have got right.