Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

The Charlton Model

We should emulate "The Charlton Model". This was a favourite quote on this forum a few seasons back. Charlton had done the yo-yo....twice promoted to the Premiership & twice relegated commencing in 1997/98. They then followed this with seven continuous seasons in the Premiership until Alan Curbishley left, before being relegated to the Championship the season before last. Their performance in the Championship last season looked like they would be in with a shout of the playoffs at least before they began to fade in the last couple of months and finished mid-table.

Now, as per Pardew''s comments, they are needing to reduce their wage bill by moving out some of the higher earners. The news today was that Jerome Thomas has been loaned out to Portsmouth for the season. The question I have is that Charlton''s size and scale is not unlike that of Norwich. They certainly have had a more successful period over the past decade than we have. They had seven successive seasons to earn some good Premiership money and yet, they are needing to reduce their wage bill. I mean to say, on the latest news, we are speaking of Jerome Thomas here, not Wayne Rooney. Perhaps we can have some of the more astute critics ( I say this with tongue in cheek ) of the Norwich Board explain why Charlton might find themselves in this position.         

i don`t know what money thomas is on but he`s a bloody good winger..really impressed me in the game at the valley last season..mind you we did   go there and camp in our own half with chris brown on his own up front.. it was the night that it really hit home that peter grant was clueless.. but that aside  i get your point about the charlton model..if bolton got relegated next year the same would happen to them.. the same will happen to reading this year..watford are supposed to be in the sh-t.. football as it is nowadays really sucks.. sky money is only an asset  to the top 5 or 6 clubs  for the rest of us its just its just like taking a big mortgage  living the good life beyond your means for a year or two  then  having to sell up pay it all back and be worst off than ever.. the money you get for promotion is never really the clubs.. it just gets hoovered up by the players and agents.. relegation is a disaster and clubs take bigger risks than ever to avoid it  with wages and stuff.. for the supporters promotion to the prem is great but i think for the clubs its something of a curse.. as soon as you get relegated your f--ked for years . it was better before sky got involved.. you never used to hear about administration  or stuff like that..

Exactly, try telling this to the Delia out brigade who think she is ruining this club, we''ve had one season in the premiership in the last 13 years and yet since Delia has taken over we have never had to worry about our financial stability and our financial future is still secure, even with a £15 million debt our future is still secure as the debt is manageable and being paid off, thats why it makes me laugh when everyone wonders where all the money went from Ashton and Earnie etc. Just goes to show the superb job our board are doing as other clubs that have been in our situation without sugar daddys are all struggling and on the brink of administration. Well done to the board for making Norwich City a stable and secure club, its nice not having to worry about whether we''d be in adminstration or not, I''d hate to be a Southampton fan or Charlton fan! Thats why I get so wound up with the doom mongerers on here!

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

We should emulate "The Charlton Model". This was a favourite quote on this forum a few seasons back. Charlton had done the yo-yo....twice promoted to the Premiership & twice relegated commencing in 1997/98. They then followed this with seven continuous seasons in the Premiership until Alan Curbishley left, before being relegated to the Championship the season before last. Their performance in the Championship last season looked like they would be in with a shout of the playoffs at least before they began to fade in the last couple of months and finished mid-table.

Now, as per Pardew''s comments, they are needing to reduce their wage bill by moving out some of the higher earners. The news today was that Jerome Thomas has been loaned out to Portsmouth for the season. The question I have is that Charlton''s size and scale is not unlike that of Norwich. They certainly have had a more successful period over the past decade than we have. They had seven successive seasons to earn some good Premiership money and yet, they are needing to reduce their wage bill. I mean to say, on the latest news, we are speaking of Jerome Thomas here, not Wayne Rooney. Perhaps we can have some of the more astute critics ( I say this with tongue in cheek ) of the Norwich Board explain why Charlton might find themselves in this position.         

[/quote]Thank god, 3 sensible posts in a row!  I agree completely - football as a business is not a good one.  And many of the "billionaire" owners in the premier league will find out soon, unless setanta can get a lot more customers soon!   As if they cant afford to bid soon, then its back to just sky bidding, and the TV money will drop big time  even for the premier league!But for us, its a fact, you have to sell every year, southampton have sold Walcott, Bale, Jones, Baird.... Cardiff have sold Jerome, Ramsey, Loovens, Chopra...... Watford, well the list goes on.  Its a reality we need to face.

To go back to the original post.  Why do Charlton need to reduce their wage bill this season? 

Without more knowledge of Charlton''s wage structure it''s almost impossible to say.  But my guess is that their players (or at least some of them) didn''t have a clause that would automatically reduce their wages if they got relegated.  This is standard practice now for clubs who have just been promoted, but not necessarily for clubs like Charlton who have been in the top flight for several years.  So it''s the second season in the Champ and some players are still on Prem wages.  But that''s only a guess.

As far as Thomas is concerned, according to the Charlton site he''s gone on loan to Pompey to "prove himself".  Or, in the words of a Charlton fan who posted a comment, "watch him play well until he gets a contract".  Underperforming and on Prem wages too?  It''s a no brainer imo. 

[quote user="ellis206"]Exactly, try telling this to the Delia out brigade who think she is ruining this club, we''ve had one season in the premiership in the last 13 years and yet since Delia has taken over we have never had to worry about our financial stability and our financial future is still secure, even with a £15 million debt our future is still secure as the debt is manageable and being paid off, thats why it makes me laugh when everyone wonders where all the money went from Ashton and Earnie etc. Just goes to show the superb job our board are doing as other clubs that have been in our situation without sugar daddys are all struggling and on the brink of administration. Well done to the board for making Norwich City a stable and secure club, its nice not having to worry about whether we''d be in adminstration or not, I''d hate to be a Southampton fan or Charlton fan! Thats why I get so wound up with the doom mongerers on here!
[/quote]

Charlton look pretty good to me on the pitch with some quality players in their squad, what we''d do fo varney at the moment hey? These clubs will still be around and come back stronger yet all we''ll do is slip away down the leagues because we''re so obsessed with being ''Prudent''. I''d much rather we gave it a go but as long as fans buy 20000 season tickets, our lot are more than happy to plod along sitting on their hands hoping for a one off moment without ever risking anything. The debt is not getting paid of it,s just being paid, rather like paying minimum payment on your credit cards, the banks are happy but the debts still there. Our debt is now bigger than its ever been. I think you''ll find our lot are well out of depth these days and they do not have the resources or will to take us forward as is evident with transfer budgets every year. No Ambition whatsoever, and i''m glad most people have at last seen the little gentlemens club for what it is. Its only a matter of time when they will walk and be told to shut the door on the way out. If DS and co had any respect or love for our Club they would walk now and at least have the door held open for them.

Re: The Charlton Model.......

Will that be a ''Bobby''?  

Dragging a few remaining strands of hair across a balding pate......in the hilarious hope, that nobody notices the distinct lack....

....of substance?

Covering up reality?