Sign in to follow this  
Be Smart & sell to Cullum

FAO The Board of NCFC

Here is a bit of a puzzle for you.... A football team plays 270 minutes of reasonable football, and has a total of 49 shots at goal and converts just 1 of those.

Now the puzzle is what do you do to convert that stat in to the average stat of goals to attempts? (that being around 1 goal to every 6 attempts)

Think about it, you have 20 minutes to answer this question and it is worth up to 100 league points

ANSWER AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE (don''t cheat think about it)

F***ing BUY A TARGET MAN YOU CHEAP SKATES (easy wasn''t it?)

Why is everyone so obsessed with a target man?  What we need is a PROVEN striker.  A 20+ a season man will get you there or thereabouts at the end of the season.  I mean, Kevin Phillips is hardly a giant, is he, but he will get the goals Birmingham need this season.

I think in Hoolahan and Bell (when he is fit) we will have the ammo, it just needs someone to fire the gun!

We also need goals from midfield and the only midfielder we have capable of scoring spent three quarters of the game on the bench, meanwhile Fotheringham who can only score when his wayward shots are deflected goalwards played for 90 minutes.

[quote user="Be Smart "]

[/quote]

The manager searches for then pinpoints the player he wants, the board has nothing to do with this and are only involved when the manager asks them to be.

Therefore the lack of said "Target Man" is down to the manager''s inability to find one and he''s had about eight months to do so

The board have their faults but blaming them for every damned thing that upsets you is totally wrong.

We can''t possibly say for sure who''s fault it is with the information we know. If the board have given GR £2.5m to get his man, then yes, it''s his fault, he''s had plenty of time. However (and in my opinion the far more likely) if they have given him £0.5m then they have to shoulder the responsibility. It would be like trying to get a brand new Mercedes (Ameobi/Rasiak) for £300, its not gonna happen, you''re gonna end up with a 1993 Ford Fiesta (Howard).

[quote user="Gorleston Jim"][quote user="Be Smart "]

[/quote]

The manager searches for then pinpoints the player he wants, the board has nothing to do with this and are only involved when the manager asks them to be.

Therefore the lack of said "Target Man" is down to the manager''s inability to find one and he''s had about eight months to do so

The board have their faults but blaming them for every damned thing that upsets you is totally wrong.

[/quote]

On the flipside from some of the comments from Roeder it sounds like he has identified his targets, so isnt it the board''s job to get the deals done? 

We need a target man DCA because otherwise we are too one dimensional, and that was shown yesterday. Even though we played well at times the only way we were really going to score a goal was from the perfect through ball, a target man gives you that different outlet. Then hopefully it will create enough goals for Lupoli/Cureton/Koroma.

And I agree with you SWP, it is up to the board now.

I hadn’t seen any of the pre-season games as I’m not a big fan of them, so yesterday was my first view of the “new Team Glenn”. I should also declare that I’m not a huge admirer of Glenn himself as I believe his arrogance and attitude far outweigh his achievements as a manager. That all said I found myself more than a little impressed with what he had been able to assemble on the modest budget he has been given. He freely acknowledges that a big proven striker is his target, but I wonder if we wouldn’t be facing a very similar dilemma even if someone like Iverson had been the first to arrive in the summer instead of the last. A target man isn’t necessarily going to score a hatful of goals, rather he will hold the ball up and make chances around the edge of the box for the likes of Cureton and little Italian chap. Therein may lay the problem. They both seem to need far too high a chances to goals ratio. They had plenty of chances carved out for them yesterday (and presumably in the other two games) – they simply are not in the same league as someone like a Rob Earnshaw at this level. Not their fault – they just aren’t.

1-1 against a workmanlike team with so many new players bedding in, a central defensive pair that at last seem to give confidence to the rest of the team in a way we have not seen since Fleming and Malky, two outstanding young full backs, a midfielder who can sit in front of the defence and still pick out a safe pass, and Wes Hoolihan who, provided we can hold on to him past January, looks like Player of the Season material already – we are nearly flying. I’m just not convinced, based simply on that one performance, that the big target man is only answer to the lack of goals.

[quote user="Gorleston Jim"][quote user="Be Smart "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

My point Jim, is that we all know and so does the rest of the footballing world that Glenn wants Shola, and no doubt Shola wants to play for Glenn.

If we assume this is the case, then why was Shola talking to the Binners and not us? It has to be down to the board not being prepared to bankroll as they promised to do.

SWP wrote

"On the flipside from some of the comments from Reeder it sounds like he has identified his targets, so isnt it the board''s job to get the deals done?" 

Point taken SWP,

but I think the fact is whether he has or not, we don''t know either way so most of the arguments for and against are based on rumours and anecdotal  here-say "reliable source", "I''ve seen a secret letter", "my mate in the know" and probably poor media reporting etc etc.

Hardly a good foundation for lambasting Delia et al at every opportunity is my point.

[quote user="Grumpy Old Blogger"]

I hadn’t seen any of the pre-season games as I’m not a big fan of them, so yesterday was my first view of the “new Team Glenn”. I should also declare that I’m not a huge admirer of Glenn himself as I believe his arrogance and attitude far outweigh his achievements as a manager. That all said I found myself more than a little impressed with what he had been able to assemble on the modest budget he has been given. He freely acknowledges that a big proven striker is his target, but I wonder if we wouldn’t be facing a very similar dilemma even if someone like Iverson had been the first to arrive in the summer instead of the last. A target man isn’t necessarily going to score a hatful of goals, rather he will hold the ball up and make chances around the edge of the box for the likes of Cureton and little Italian chap. Therein may lay the problem. They both seem to need far too high a chances to goals ratio. They had plenty of chances carved out for them yesterday (and presumably in the other two games) – they simply are not in the same league as someone like a Rob Earnshaw at this level. Not their fault – they just aren’t.

1-1 against a workmanlike team with so many new players bedding in, a central defensive pair that at last seem to give confidence to the rest of the team in a way we have not seen since Fleming and Malky, two outstanding young full backs, a midfielder who can sit in front of the defence and still pick out a safe pass, and Wes Hoolihan who, provided we can hold on to him past January, looks like Player of the Season material already – we are nearly flying. I’m just not convinced, based simply on that one performance, that the big target man is only answer to the lack of goals.

[/quote]

Like you said ..................this is the first time you have seen the "team"play.........................

[quote user="Be Smart "][quote user="Gorleston Jim"][quote user="Be Smart "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

My point Jim, is that we all know and so does the rest of the footballing world that Glenn wants Shola, and no doubt Shola wants to play for Glenn.

If we assume this is the case, then why was Shola talking to the Binners and not us? It has to be down to the board not being prepared to bankroll as they promised to do.

[/quote]

First you say "we know" then you say "we assume",  the point is we DON''T ALL KNOW and SOME DO ASSUME (usually wrongly)