Sign in to follow this  
Hackney Canary

Ignorance, stupidity, call it what you will...

I thought Hoolahoops was

sensational in patches yesterday - he''s got quick feet, plays lovely short

passes, and beats players. I liked it when he roamed in the second half, playing a classic european No.10 role, taking the ball and moving it on. Why must he stay wide left, as some seem to be suggesting? Is it a contractual obligation? And somebody had the nuts to suggest that he left Bertrand exposed: this after Hucks, a player whom I loved, but who knows no peer in the role of leaving your left back exposed. What''s more, for the last 20 mins, I thought - as a team - we played some outstanding football. Croft was excellent, Clingan was excellent, Russell was excellent. In the first half, too, I thought we played some very good stuff in patches. The wiseheads on here will say: "But it''s only Blackpool. Blackpool are rubbish". They forget what division we are in. This is probably the most competitive league in the world. You simply cannot afford to expect easy games against sides like Blackpool. Every team in this division will work its fingers to the bone in an effort to compete. A good performance is a good performance, regardless of the opposition.We''re only two games into the season, and I can see a team emerging - which I never thought would happen, given the number of new players we have brought in. I am so much happier with Stefanovic and Kennedy. They haven''t quite bedded in yet, but they are so much more comfortable on the ball than Doc and Shacks. Bertrand is an outstanding player. Omozusi and Otsemebor are both quality - I don''t mind which one plays, really. Fozzy has got some work to do - like many, I''d have Russell back in alongside Clingan - but Clingan looks an excellent player. I''m delighted we have him. Mops up nicely, lots of energy, covers the ground and plays nice, simple, effective passes. We are struggling in the striking department, of course. I think Lupoli is a good player, but he ain''t a goalscorer. I like Jamie - works his little nuts off - but he ain''t a goalscorer either. Lupoli should be back up to Hoolahoops - an attacking midfielder with licence to roam. Jamie, poor Jamie should be on the bench. He misses too many chances - Lupoli would not have had the opportunity to foul up the open goal yesterday had Cureton done what a goalscorer should do: stick it in the back of the net. He''s nervous, worried about missing, and that means he thinks too much and wastes opportunities. Not a good situation for a striker to be in. So we need a striker or two. But, when we get one (and we will), if we play like we did yesterday, we will cut good sides to ribbons on a fairly regular basis.  So, cheer up  people. I know you won''t, because you''re from Norfolk (as I am) and looking on the bright side just doesn''t come naturally. One more thing: for those of you who booed at the final whistle yesterday: get a cocking grip. We''re two games into the season. I''ve got no objection to ignorant people attending sporting events - it gets them out of the house - but when they do they should have the decency to keep their opinions to themselves. As Charlie Brown used to say: Good Grief.

Everyone is entightled to an opinion and mine is you must have been drinking.

If a motorbike had 4 wheels it would be a car.

If we had one or 2 decent strikers we would be a team.

Having watched 2 full games now I can tell you we will not score enough goals to keep us in this league without a really good signing.

Dublin Huckerby Evans 22 Goals in a season where we were saved from relegation by 3 points, where are those goals coming from this season ?

Not sure what your point is KG. I said in the original post that we needed a couple of strikers. We seem to be in agreement. Only difference seems to be that you are looking down and I''m looking up...

>>Why must [Hoolahan] stay wide left, as some seem to be suggesting? Is it a contractual obligation? And somebody had the nuts to suggest that he left Bertrand exposed: this after Hucks, a player whom I loved, but who knows no peer in the role of leaving your left back exposed.

That was me who said he left the left flank exposed towards the end. Sitting in the City Stand I could have thrown a net over 7 of our players inc Hoolahan.

Don''t get me wrong, I think he''s very good and I think in time he will become one of the ''new heroes'' GR was talking about. I was simply saying that his licence to roam leaves the left side barren at times so that when the ball gets spread that way there is no support for the left back coming forward - and if the LB loses the ball then that whole left side is wide open.

Hucks did it too - and took a lot of flak for it as well. Now if Hoolhan can produce the end product like Hucks did then my comments will swiftly get forgotten.

Actually looking at it you are probably right I think we have assembled 2/3 of a decent team on the cheap who could probably compete if we had a forward line doing its share.

The problem for me is I don''t see it happening, maybe thats why I am negative.

Not sure I forgive Roeder for going into an important season with no target man option up front ok maybe not his prefered option but no option ??? except Russell thank goodness

Think Rasiak could have done a job here but he has gone to a cash strapped Watford

Iverssen may or may not be the answer but its looking increasingly like we will never find out.

We were poor yesterday against one of the poorest sides in the division and were lucky to escape with a draw.

Excuse my negativity It will change when we actually look capable of winning a match, any match

Fair explanation, JS, but I don''t think (and Blackpool fans will back this up) that Hoolahoops has ever been an out and out winger. He has always drifted, always roamed. The other midfielders have to read the game and compensate. Clingan seems capable of doing this... Fozzy...well... he doesn''t...

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]

We were poor yesterday against one of the poorest sides in the division and were lucky to escape with a draw.

[/quote]Stats ain''t the whole picture, I accept, but these are not the stats of a team who were lucky to escape with a draw...http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/match/1202951We''ll get there, KG...

What a great post ''ackney. I wasn''t there yesterday, but, speaking to my son who took my season ticket, it seems that there are three main problems: the obvious striker deficiency, a lack of team spirit, and identikit central midfield players. I''m not a Fozzy fan, never have been, and I think Russell and Clingan would be a far better pairing. IMO the first move should be to make Stef captain and drop Fotheringham. As for the idiots who boo their team, I''ve got nothing but contempt for them and their pea-brains.