Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

A simple question

"We need a target man to provide opportunities for the other strikers"Why are we leaving it late in looking for a target man? If thestrikers do not improve on their present rate of conversion of chances into goals will more chances make much difference?If the answer is that they are going to improve, then why do we need a target man, when we are already creating so many chances?The plain truth is that we have three strikers at the moment - a fading diminutive one with 14 goals last season but who should have had double that if he was half way decent, a flashy young Italian who has not scored many goals for two seasons and a Gambian who is very raw and inexperienced. The latter two we are giving opportunities to improve them for other clubs. We have the loan players, it seems, because we can''t afford to pay for more than the "big man" if he comes.Perhaps the three will improve, and start taking chances well, but I wouldn''t bet on it. We now have Rusty, a midfielder, who seems more likely to score, - perhaps he could benefit from the target man?My conclusion is that we need two strikers, both tall enough to head goals from crosses, and both of whom could score 20 goals a season at this level. We can''t afford this, unless we take a chance with someone from the lower divisions. It''s all very depressing and reflects some bad decisions in the past.At least the defence, despite conceding four in three, seems better. Could we save ourselves with a string of 0-0s and 1-0s?

We''ve been looking for ages, just no deal has been done. The three strikers we have, well, Lupoli and Curo, play better when beside a big man. Running off flick ons and with the big man holding the ball up.

[quote user="Salopian"]"We need a target man to provide opportunities for the other strikers"

Why are we leaving it late in looking for a target man? If thestrikers do not improve on their present rate of conversion of chances into goals will more chances make much difference?

If the answer is that they are going to improve, then why do we need a target man, when we are already creating so many chances?

The plain truth is that we have three strikers at the moment - a fading diminutive one with 14 goals last season but who should have had double that if he was half way decent, a flashy young Italian who has not scored many goals for two seasons and a Gambian who is very raw and inexperienced. The latter two we are giving opportunities to improve them for other clubs. We have the loan players, it seems, because we can''t afford to pay for more than the "big man" if he comes.

Perhaps the three will improve, and start taking chances well, but I wouldn''t bet on it. We now have Rusty, a midfielder, who seems more likely to score, - perhaps he could benefit from the target man?

My conclusion is that we need two strikers, both tall enough to head goals from crosses, and both of whom could score 20 goals a season at this level. We can''t afford this, unless we take a chance with someone from the lower divisions. It''s all very depressing and reflects some bad decisions in the past.

At least the defence, despite conceding four in three, seems better. Could we save ourselves with a string of 0-0s and 1-0s?
[/quote]

With five questions ?[:|]

We have the loan players, it seems, because we can''t afford to pay for more than the "big man" if he comes

Iweloumo (sp?) cost Wolves £400K from Charlton. Proven partnership with Cureton. So presumably we can''t afford that either.

We got a £500k offer for Howard turned down. I ask the question... if we can''t get Shola or Steffen, why not get him IF the bid was a genuine one... Shola or Steffen will cost over a million, SURELY we can bloody afford Howard if we were in for either of them in the first place!?

[quote user="Carrow Roeder"]We got a £500k offer for Howard turned down. I ask the question... if we can''t get Shola or Steffen, why not get him IF the bid was a genuine one... Shola or Steffen will cost over a million, SURELY we can bloody afford Howard if we were in for either of them in the first place!?[/quote]

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, I put it to you  our board are Guilty as charged, they have had more than a year to find a decent target man to replace DD.they knew last season was his last before the first ball was kicked, the only way forward is for them to go