Sign in to follow this  
Lurd

Does the average Norwich fan actually understand football?

Every week I sit in the Barclay baffled by some of the comments I hear from people in the crowd. Gems such as:"Hoolahan you''re spoosed to be on the left wing""Don''t pass to Pattison he''ll lose it""Why aren''t we goin forward?"Yesterday for example, people were getting on Wes'' back when he was looking after the ball, looking around to find his man - now you''d think after years of people praying for a creative midfielder who can make things happen, the crowd would be delighted to see this. But no, he should have got rid of it even though there was no pass on. I guarantee the same people who were complaining, would have moaned if he''d tried something quick and lost it.Pattison was getting slated yesterday whilst playing on the right which I admit was a strange decision, but it was one of his best; if not his best performance in a city shirt and his killer pass to Cureton should have resulted in a goal. So obviously Matty gets applauded? No, not by our fans.Which brings me to the point above, do any of you watch football outside of Carrow Road? Do you watch enough football to be able to make an informed opinion? Do you think singing the name of an ex player is really going to inspire the players out there that you''re moaning about?It''s going to be a long season..

That''s the typical Norwich fan at the moment.

Even if they''ve said the opposite before (like wanting a creative player), they''ll go against it purely as they want to moan about NCFC wherever they can.

Now I''m pretty negative myself but I try to be objective with my opinions - if they do something good I will say like equally if they do something bad I will say.  But some people just want to bash the club for the sake of it!

[quote user="Larry David"]Every week I sit in the Barclay baffled by some of the comments I hear from people in the crowd. Gems such as:"Hoolahan you''re spoosed to be on the left wing""Don''t pass to Pattison he''ll lose it""Why aren''t we goin forward?"Yesterday for example, people were getting on Wes'' back when he was looking after the ball, looking around to find his man - now you''d think after years of people praying for a creative midfielder who can make things happen, the crowd would be delighted to see this. But no, he should have got rid of it even though there was no pass on. I guarantee the same people who were complaining, would have moaned if he''d tried something quick and lost it.Pattison was getting slated yesterday whilst playing on the right which I admit was a strange decision, but it was one of his best; if not his best performance in a city shirt and his killer pass to Cureton should have resulted in a goal. So obviously Matty gets applauded? No, not by our fans.Which brings me to the point above, do any of you watch football outside of Carrow Road? Do you watch enough football to be able to make an informed opinion? Do you think singing the name of an ex player is really going to inspire the players out there that you''re moaning about?It''s going to be a long season..[/quote]

I couldn''t agree more. I was at the Coventry game and the MK game and people were shouting idiotic things. Attack, attack, attack, attack (about 20 times), it was demented. Loads of people shouting "play it long", then when we lost the ball "don''t hoof it"! I''m all for singing OTBC and shouting Yellows ect etc but you''re spot on, singing about Huckerby is just stupid and childish. In any case do you really think Adam Drury can hear you when you shout "run adam, run"! he''s not Forest Gump!

All I can say is sing up and sing loud, sing our club song, get behind the team and the manager and try to enjoy the football, even if it is crap;-)

[quote user="walks on water"]

No.

Well, not if this forum is representative of the average Norwich fan.

[/quote]

Thank-you, Bill Shankly.

No.

[/quote]

Leave the forum then.......[;)]

No.

[/quote]I would suggest you''re right!

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="walks on water"]

No.

[/quote]

Thank-you, Bill Shankly.

[/quote]

hahaha I guess I deserved that [:P]

[quote user="thecanaryfan"][quote user="walks on water"]

No.

[/quote]

Leave the forum then.......[;)]

[/quote]

Why?

-not my problem, it''s theirs [;)][:D]

[quote user="Larry David"][quote user="walks on water"]

No.

[/quote]

I would suggest you''re right!
[/quote]

What a pious lot we have on here...

Until they run NCFC through the Pink''un messageboard ''Committee'', I suggest a bit of ''live and let live'', ''free speech'' and recognition that anyone''s comments are as valid as the next person''s...

and for those that are old enough, consider...

Did you shut your kids up everytime they said something completely daft?...No! ...we all have to learn, even if some of us are a bit slower than the  ''most knowledgable football intellects'' on here.

[quote user="Hooleyfan"][quote user="Larry David"][quote user="walks on water"]

No.

[/quote]

I would suggest you''re right!
[/quote]

What a pious lot we have on here...

Until they run NCFC through the Pink''un messageboard ''Committee'', I suggest a bit of ''live and let live'', ''free speech'' and recognition that anyone''s comments are as valid as the next person''s...

and for those that are old enough, consider...

Did you shut your kids up everytime they said something completely daft?...No! ...we all have to learn, even if some of us are a bit slower than the  ''most knowledgable football intellects'' on here.

[/quote]

Ooh no, Hooleyfan, you can''t do that. Free speech, opinion, your own views...some people on here would ban that if they could. 

[quote user="Larry David"]Every week I sit in the Barclay baffled by some of the comments I hear from people in the crowd. Gems such as:

"Hoolahan you''re spoosed to be on the left wing"

"Don''t pass to Pattison he''ll lose it"

"Why aren''t we goin forward?"

Yesterday for example, people were getting on Wes'' back when he was looking after the ball, looking around to find his man - now you''d think after years of people praying for a creative midfielder who can make things happen, the crowd would be delighted to see this. But no, he should have got rid of it even though there was no pass on. I guarantee the same people who were complaining, would have moaned if he''d tried something quick and lost it.

Pattison was getting slated yesterday whilst playing on the right which I admit was a strange decision, but it was one of his best; if not his best performance in a city shirt and his killer pass to Cureton should have resulted in a goal. So obviously Matty gets applauded? No, not by our fans.

Which brings me to the point above, do any of you watch football outside of Carrow Road? Do you watch enough football to be able to make an informed opinion? Do you think singing the name of an ex player is really going to inspire the players out there that you''re moaning about?

It''s going to be a long season..
[/quote]

I wonder if these same people moaning about fans singing for Huckerby are the ones who were singing McKenzie songs at Coventry? [^o)]

And who are you to come on here and moan that Norwich fans don''t understand football?

There''s one Norwich fan a lot of us know of who hasn''t got a clue about football at all, you should be aiming your venemous attacks at her...

To be fair Alex, I have done neither, but singing songs for an ex-player who is on the other team is just showing some respect. Huckerby on the other hand, is about 4000 miles away.

[quote user="ncfcstar"]To be fair Alex, I have done neither, but singing songs for an ex-player who is on the other team is just showing some respect. Huckerby on the other hand, is about 4000 miles away.[/quote]

Sorry but that''s a very weak argument, why does McKenzie "deserve respect" for the way he held us to ransom, yet singing songs for an actual City legend (someone who contributed more than 2 goals on his debut) is seen as moronic? Do you think the team wanted to hear how McKenzie "scored against the scum" any more than they want to hear Huckerby chants?

4000 miles or not, it makes no difference - I doubt Cantona can hear his name being sung at Old Trafford either.

I think in a couple of seasons time, Huckerby chants are fair enough, but then again I think some people might have forgotten about him. At the moment, I think the Huckerby chants are more out of anger and disappointment, which I believe is unfair on the team, its like saying none of you lot will live up him, and that isn''t fair, yet! Therefore I think the Huckerby songs are misplaced, at the moment.

My wife is of the opinion that the "Huckery" chants are because , at the moment, we don''t have a folk hero in the new boys. No one knows them well enough and there is really no continuity from last years team which would usually carry over.

To refer to the original point I am of theopinion that unless you have played football at a reasonably high level you are unlikely to understand it.

I played rugby as a young man in the North of England and I do understand both codes but I have to admit that having watched Norwich for well over 30 years I do not really understand the game and I depend on my sons to translate wahat is going on.

In their case I explain Rugby on the odd occasion they watch it on TV.

[quote user="Larry David"]Every week I sit in the Barclay baffled by some of the comments I hear from people in the crowd. Gems such as:

Yesterday for example, people were getting on Wes'' back when he was looking after the ball, looking around to find his man - now you''d think after years of people praying for a creative midfielder who can make things happen, the crowd would be delighted to see this. But no, he should have got rid of it even though there was no pass on. I guarantee the same people who were complaining, would have moaned if he''d tried something quick and lost it.

Pattison was getting slated yesterday whilst playing on the right which I admit was a strange decision, but it was one of his best; if not his best performance in a city shirt and his killer pass to Cureton should have resulted in a goal. So obviously Matty gets applauded? No, not by our fans.

Which brings me to the point above, do any of you watch football outside of Carrow Road? Do you watch enough football to be able to make an informed opinion? Do you think singing the name of an ex player is really going to inspire the players out there that you''re moaning about?

[/quote]

Ask yourself your own question...........?

Re: Does the average Norwich fan actually understand football?

Does the average footballer actually understand the Norwich fan?

Why bother singing about past players at all? Applaud them when their name gets mentioned to show respect for what they did, however the only names being sung about should be the ones in yellow shirts!

From my experience, the average Norwich fan seems to know not a lot at all about football. Some of the things you hear at Carrow each week are unbelievable!

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]

[quote user="ncfcstar"]To be fair Alex, I have done neither, but singing songs for an ex-player who is on the other team is just showing some respect. Huckerby on the other hand, is about 4000 miles away.[/quote]

Sorry but that''s a very weak argument, why does McKenzie "deserve respect" for the way he held us to ransom, yet singing songs for an actual City legend (someone who contributed more than 2 goals on his debut) is seen as moronic? Do you think the team wanted to hear how McKenzie "scored against the scum" any more than they want to hear Huckerby chants?

4000 miles or not, it makes no difference - I doubt Cantona can hear his name being sung at Old Trafford either.

[/quote]

In answer to that Question I will ask How much does our Board Know about Football,  Boild beef and carrots pal

[quote user="Larry David"]Every week I sit in the Barclay baffled by some of the comments I hear from people in the crowd. Gems such as:"Hoolahan you''re spoosed to be on the left wing""Don''t pass to Pattison he''ll lose it""Why aren''t we goin forward?"Yesterday for example, people were getting on Wes'' back when he was looking after the ball, looking around to find his man - now you''d think after years of people praying for a creative midfielder who can make things happen, the crowd would be delighted to see this. But no, he should have got rid of it even though there was no pass on. I guarantee the same people who were complaining, would have moaned if he''d tried something quick and lost it.Pattison was getting slated yesterday whilst playing on the right which I admit was a strange decision, but it was one of his best; if not his best performance in a city shirt and his killer pass to Cureton should have resulted in a goal. So obviously Matty gets applauded? No, not by our fans.Which brings me to the point above, do any of you watch football outside of Carrow Road? Do you watch enough football to be able to make an informed opinion? Do you think singing the name of an ex player is really going to inspire the players out there that you''re moaning about?It''s going to be a long season..[/quote]Very similar to the thread I posted yesterday, so I agree 100% with you.

"Hoolahan you''re spoosed to be on the left wing""Don''t pass to Pattison he''ll lose it""Why aren''t we goin forward?"I heard those lines being shouted out too, I wouldn''t mind but when I looked over my shoulder I realised it was Glen Roeder!

I thought Matty played quite well, but all he got round me was abuse. I may sound pious but I think we should not abuse our own players, unless they abuse us or the Club. Quite sad to sense the lack of comradeship around the ground at the moment. Call me a romantic but I prefer it when football brings people together. 

[quote user="corbs"]I thought Matty played quite well, but all he got round me was abuse. I may sound pious but I think we should not abuse our own players, unless they abuse us or the Club. Quite sad to sense the lack of comradeship around the ground at the moment. Call me a romantic but I prefer it when football brings people together. [/quote]

Agreed. I can''t see what good it does. I''m told it is "passion" and only something that "real fans" have.

The guy behind me sat there the whole game shouting to get the ball forward, stop "mucking around with it". Then, when we pumped the ball forward and lost it, he shouted at the guy who made the pass, and Cureton/Lupoli for not being able to pick it up!!!! Crikey."Get into them".That''s another of my favourite quotes. It''s not that bloody easy!!! In answer to your thread title, I don''t think that many football fans understand football "properly". And perhaps they never did. But the issue nowadays is that everyone thinks, because they pay for a ticket, they "deserve entertainment". And also that they have more of a say than they used to.

[/quote]Have watched football for the last 50 years and for the last 17 at Carrow Road. The game lends itself to varied opinions. There is a lot going on at a match and no person can watch everything at any particular time.

Most follow the ball as it is the most natural thing to do. Some may be watching a particular player. It may br their favourite one or one they don''t care for very much but usually one of their own team.

Everyone has an opinion and there are lots and lots of different ones. It is not often possible to say one opinion is right and another is wrong. All of us think that we are right of course, that is what makes the game so fascinating and the discussions so heated at times. It used to be a lot more humorous as well.

Your statements above are just opinions, nothing more nothing less. An informed opinion ?. All fans are informed in one way or another. What you or I call informed another may not.

It''s all good fun though, or it should be.